can everyone run a mile?

Options
i've been having some concern about just how unfit i am. i've been doing some light jogging around my block which is equal to a little over a mile. after about halfway at a medium pace, i'm dying for air and i hafto slow down to a walk for the rest of it. i've been told this is rediculous, and everyone should be able to run a mile, especially at my stats (5'4" @ 137 lbs). it's kind of depressing, because i have been trying for the last 3 months to run a mile, and it's like i cant even get to a little over a mile. :(

i see people post stats about running 15-20 miles a day, and i'm looking at it like that's just not something i'll ever be able to do. am i missing something here? should everyone really be able to run a mile?

Replies

• jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You are doing a lot more than a lot of people out there are doing. You are trying. you are putting forth an effort so kudo's to you. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will run that mile.
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I can't run a mile straight. I just got done doing 4 miles though. I just walk/run it. I am hoping to get up to running at least a couple straight but I have a feeling it will take me a while to get there. Slow and steady wins the race. :-)
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Yes I think that a fitness goal is the ability to run several miles actually. But you don't start off able to do this, you have to work into it.

When I was younger I used to run track and a mile was nothing. My fastest mile was 5:59. That's pretty good for a guy who is 6'2 and weighed about 210 then.

In the army we had 2 mile runs, and I did about a 13:30.

When I got fat, I couldn't even do a mile. To get back into soccer I knew I had a long road ahead of me. This past May I started with a mile run. After I got that comfortable I moved to two miles. Then three. Etc. Currently today I did 5.5 miles and my goal next week is to hit 6.

I'd like to do a 10k run next year.

I think 5k is a good starting goal, which is 3.1 miles. Train for that. Little bit at a time. Push yourself. You will find that not only will you lose weight but you will find it easier and easier over time.

Good luck.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    whoever told you it's ridiculous is an *kitten*. everyone gets there at their own pace. if you're having problems try slowing down, that usually does the trick. you could look into the couch to 5k program that gets you running 3 miles in 9 weeks. i'm doing it and it's awesome. i went from not being able to run even one minute to running for 15 so far.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same until I took time off from trying to run b/c it hurt my knee and focused on strength and cardio (weights and zumba and a class at my gym that was a lot like the 30 day shred) and when I randomly hopped on a treadmill one day I ran 2 miles straight with no problem! First time ever in my life. Now I have run up to 15 miles at a time. Maybe approach it from that angle? Up your strength and your cardio and you might suprise yourself!
  • mbcasey2009
    mbcasey2009 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Who ever is telling you this is ridiculous! It takes a while to work up to a mile, or 15-20, of course. Rule of thumb is, if you can't comfortably carry on a conversation during your run, you're going too fast. Strength and core work will also help you build speed after you get more mileage under your belt. I have asthma, and started running while my husband was away, and now I'm hooked-and it actually made my asthma much better. It took a while to be able to go for longer distances, but you can do it, don't let anyone tell you that you can't. I'm about to run my 6th half marathon and I never thought I'd be able to go longer than a mile :)
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I can walk 18+ miles, but I can't even run for 30 seconds without my heart feeling like its going of pop out of my chest. After the big one next month I'm going to start interval training and working towards doing the C25K. The plan is to run 15 seconds / walk 45. Then the next week 20/60, then 30/60 (or 90) then 45/90, then start the C25K and see how that goes.

I would love to be able to jog a mile! Perhaps go backwards a bit and run/walk increasing your running time and try walking faster? Also check your breathing so you're getting the most air into your lungs as possible, rather than 'gasping' which isn't really going to help.

You can do it!
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of time and practice. I don't think I know anyone who just wakes up after not doing any sort of training and just busts out a mile. It does take time. Just don't give up and you'll get there :) Add me if you'd like!
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" 130lbs and can't run a mile...heck, I can only run about 2 blocks non-stop...I think it's ridiculous that I can't run that far either, but I'm trying to get better.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    SHOULD everyone be able to run a mile? Yeah, probably. CAN everyone? NO!
    I couldn't run up the stairs without getting winded when I started out in the Spring. Fitness takes time. I can run 3 miles now - probably more but I hate running so I get bored and stop. Start small - C25K is good... it coaches you through a progression on how to get your muscles and cardio fitness up to par for running a 5k.
    A lot of skinny people can't run a mile... a lot of heavier people can't run a mile... it all has to do with conditioning. The fact that you're trying and working at it means you'll get there.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i can not run a mile. i have been running 1 min walking 2
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    Doing some form of interval training will help you achieve this.

I couldn't run a mile when i started the couch to 5k program, but over 9 weeks (training 3 times a week) i managed to run 5k in under half an hour. I'd reccomend the program.

For example, first week you do

5min warm up then alternate 60 secs of running with 90 secs of walking for 20 mins and 5 mins cool down.

You will be able to achieve it im sure.
  • AshValen
    Options
    I agree, I know I sure can't run a mile, and I work out regularly, well I try anyway! Keep up the awesome job and don't listen to the negative comments others have to say, everyone is different and excell in different activities!:wink:
  • DarkOctoberNight
    DarkOctoberNight Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can run a mile...at first. You have to work up to longer and longer distances. Watch the show "I used to be fat" and you'll see that this is true. If you have a smart phone download the app couch to 5k. It will help you get to that desired mile. If you can't get the app then just go until you can't go anymore and then push yourself a little more the next day and so on. You will eventually be able to run a mile comfortably.
  • Duelltolose
    Duelltolose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Some people can run really fast while others cant. And some people just have an endurance, tolerance where they can keep going till their body just stops.

Me, I am fast, very fast. But my best friends can run miles upon miles but can't run anywhere, near as fast as me.

But just keep pushing it. ;) Your body might not be that type. If not, Run 1/4 and do other stuff and then run another 1/4 and so on.
    :)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I can run half, break, run half. And this only very very recent with eating better and everything. It takes time to get into if it is something you want to do. Plenty of people can't run a mile.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I used to be the kid in high school who would only run three quarter-mile laps instead of four because I was embarrassed at my time and that I had to walk. I don't think I could even get around one lap without stopping for a walk break. I found that it is best to build up endurance slowly. I know a lot of people do a couch to 5k program (I did my own thing) that was really successful. It is also important that you don't push yourself so hard at the beginning so you minimize the risk of injury. I like to cross train on a bike or elliptical. However, for me, I often run into a mental block, where I THINK I can't go any further, but then I ask myself if my legs hurt... and the answer is usually no. And then I ask myself that if I keep going, my breath would be okay... and the answer is usually yes. This morning I went on my first 6 mile run, and after 1.5 miles I desperately wanted to quit. But I know I have done runs that are 4 miles, and so I know my body can physically do it.

The best thing to do is listen to your body, but don't let your mind tell you that your body can't do something when it says it can!
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    I can't even run to the mail box!! LOL!! I am trying...up to about 3 mins. of running and then walking. Just keep trying and it will come. : )
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I can't run a mile either. Running takes a lot of cardiovascular strength and if you aren't in good shape (in that capacity) it's going to be difficult. Just keep working at it. Your lungs will get stronger and running will be easier, it just takes time.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i can't run 15-20 miles, and just a few months ago i could barely run 1. but recently i've been running 3 miles or so at a time. i had horrible cardiovascular strength and couldn't breathe.

i built my cardio strength with cycling. go out and get on you bike. you'll find that while you couldn't do a mile running, you'll be able to do 10 on a bike. before you know it you'll be doing 15 or 20 miles, and then the running will come.