losing weight as a petite person

Options
hello!! i’m 27 year old female and i currently weight 125.
the weight doesn’t really look great on me bc i’m 5’2 and the weight is mostly tummy also my hips are more narrow.
anyways i’ve been having trouble on how much calories i should i take i don’t work out as much as i want to but i’m trying to fit it in my time.
this is my first time trying to lose weight and it’s really affecting my mental health.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Start with the calories MFP recommends if you put in .5 pounds per week as your goal. You don't have much at all to lose, so it'll be slow. I'm only 5 ft., and right now I weigh 109.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Since you said this is affecting your mental health, which I understand, I wanted to mention that you are actually within the healthy weight range for your height. I input your height/weight into a couple of different calculators, and you're not even at the top end of the range. I'm just hoping this helps you feel a little better.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    As a narrow-hipped woman myself, I understand what you're saying. Because you're petite, I checked the Smart BMI calculation, which is sometimes more nuanced for people who aren't of close to average height, and that still puts you within the normal range. I'm not saying I disbelieve that you have some fat that you could and want to lose. I'm always concerned, though, when a woman within the normal BMI range is worried about weight in the abdominal area.

Frankly, internet influencers and marketers have created an environment where it's easy for a woman to have an unrealistic idea about normal abdominal shape. Specifically, it's normal to have a bit of rise above the pubic bones, but below the waist/navel, as normal anatomy related to the uterus and related organs that live just underneath. I'm not saying that's an issue for you, as I obviously have no idea, but it's fairly common.

There's a good thread about that here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

I agree that that can be one of the areas that we (both women and men) add fat first and lose it last.

If your goals are aesthetic, but you have a small amount of fat to lose, it's common to find that a combination of very slow weight loss - half a pound a week or less - plus whole-body strength training and adequate protein (plus patience!) will deliver the best long-term appearance results. Even eating at maintenance and lifting can get you there.

Info, including some before/after photos, here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Best wishes!

• yumies
    yumies Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank y’all so much for the insight and advice!!! i’m def not going to be so hard on myself just healthier ultimately.
    also LOL at the men who are sending me friend request and asking for pictures please stop
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    yumies wrote: »
    thank y’all so much for the insight and advice!!! i’m def not going to be so hard on myself just healthier ultimately.
    also LOL at the men who are sending me friend request and asking for pictures please stop

Just FYI, they're probably not on this thread. I think they just troll for new female members, or just female members in general. I believe you can block them individually. Or report them if they cross a line (personally I think asking for pictures from a stranger is crossing a line, but I can't say I've checked the user terms and conditions on that).