Just started 1 week in..new chest pain?!

Options
I've been weighing in everyday. Crazy loss flux. Also I started doing cardio for the first time in years and my peak bpm is 152 but I'm having chest pain. No other symptoms so im scared to continue daily cardio. I started at 249 and my goal is 180.

Replies

• MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Stop cardio immediately. Call your doctor asap. If it happens again call 911 or go to hospital ER.
    Seriously.
    Praying for you!
  • ndpndntcaligirl
    ndpndntcaligirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't a heart attack have a racing heart and other symptoms??
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't a heart attack have a racing heart and other symptoms??

No, not necessarily. Please go to the ER if you're still experiencing pain.
  • ndpndntcaligirl
    Options
    I only get it while working out it stops once I stop
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it’s more in the lungs from breathing heavily. Have you tried to keep your heart rate lower while exercising?
  • ndpndntcaligirl
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    I wonder if it’s more in the lungs from breathing heavily. Have you tried to keep your heart rate lower while exercising?

I average about 124 bpm during the 20 min sessions. I was thinking more along the line of pain from my back maybe radiating to chest. If I don't use any arms no pain but once I incorporate arm movements sharp pain on left side..it's weird. Ive gotten the same pain from bending down to pick something off the ground.
  • refactored
    refactored Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You may need a heart stress test where you elevate your heart rate while being monitored by a cardiologist.They may also ultrasound your heart with your heart rate elevated to see if they can find problems with blood flow to your heart. You should go and see your primary healthcare provider and they can refer you on to a cardiologist. You probably shouldn't elevate your heart rate until you get the all clear.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    Options
    See. Your. Doctor.

If it happens again, go to the emergency room.

Really. Chest pain is not a thing to mess around with. The old platitude "better safe than sorry" applies here.

If you got that peak heart rate from the 220-age formula, I'd assume you're 68. Speaking as a 67 y/o myself, who also spent a number of years overweight/obese, we tend to accumulate some problems related to that high bodyweight. Many are minor issues, but they can be really, truly major.

Doctor. Soon. Please.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking a bunch of random people on a message board? If you are concerned it is your heart, get to your doctor to check it out, ASAP.
  • ndpndntcaligirl
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Why are you asking a bunch of random people on a message board? If you are concerned it is your heart, get to your doctor to check it out, ASAP.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen before
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen before

No, because they ignored it and ended up dead. :smile: Kidding, but not completely. Please see a doctor.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    I did.

I went and got a full battery of heart tests. The reassurance was grand. Like a dark cloud off my shoulders, especially due to family history of heart problems on both sides.

Now if I have have dizziness during training, I am confident it’s from lack of proper breathing techniques, or knowing chest pain is probably a slightly strained muscle, and not a heart attack.

It will make a world of difference in your attitude to get that monkey off your back.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    I did.

I went and got a full battery of heart tests. The reassurance was grand. Like a dark cloud off my shoulders, especially due to family history of heart problems on both sides.

Now if I have have dizziness during training, I am confident it’s from lack of proper breathing techniques, or knowing chest pain is probably a slightly strained muscle, and not a heart attack.

It will make a world of difference in your attitude to get that monkey off your back.

Exactly this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    As a professional in the business, I'll advise you to go see a physician and get CLEARED before you do any exercise for now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ndpndntcaligirl
    Options
    I did.

What kind of tests did u do? I'm scared reading some of them like heart catherization? Did ur pain go away?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    Options
    I did.

What kind of tests did u do? I'm scared reading some of them like heart catherization? Did ur pain go away?

I went through a similar thing to @springlering62, too.

Generally, they'll start with less invasive tests, such as electrocardiograms, chest X-rays, CT scans or other imaging techniques, or a treadmill stress test. Here's an article from the US NIH about common tests before a heart cath:

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/cardiac-catheterization/preparing

If certain kinds of things are observed in the preceding tests, a heart catheterization might then be recommended.

Keep in mind that you can refuse any medical procedure or treatment you don't want to have. I wouldn't personally recommend that you refuse a heart cath if there's a reason to do it, but you do have a choice.

• pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!! Do not go to Dr Google or the good strangers on the internet. Chest pain is not something to mess around with.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just another story. I had (notice past tense) a friend who was exercising at the Y. Felt some slight chest pain. It went away but she called her cardiologist and told him it really was no big deal, it went away when she stopped. Made an appointment for the next morning, she died that night. She was active and seemed healthy, had been having the slight pain on and off, but it went away when she stopped. I lost a friend.
    A true story, not a scare tactic. A true friend and not a second hand story.
    SEE A DOCTOR. It may very well be nothing, but be safe.
  • ndpndntcaligirl
    Options
    pony4us wrote: »
    Just another story. I had (notice past tense) a friend who was exercising at the Y. Felt some slight chest pain. It went away but she called her cardiologist and told him it really was no big deal, it went away when she stopped. Made an appointment for the next morning, she died that night. She was active and seemed healthy, had been having the slight pain on and off, but it went away when she stopped. I lost a friend.
    A true story, not a scare tactic. A true friend and not a second hand story.
    SEE A DOCTOR. It may very well be nothing, but be safe.

Omg I'm so sorry to hear that. Did they know the cause of death?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I did.

Nah. They’re not going to go to the extreme of a catheterization unless there’s a reason for it.

I started out a hundred pounds overweight. I went from absolute zero exercise to moderate amounts to doing stuff several hours a day. (It was/is such a joy to be off the sofa!!!!).

When I started getting random chest pains and a hard time catching my breath when climbing stairs, I got worried I’d put too much stress on my heart with years of obesity followed by a comparatively quick ramp up to being highly active.

My first visit was X-ray and an electrocardiograph. Second visit was the treadmill stress test. You simply go as long and as hard as you can and can tell them when you’re ready to quit. It wasn’t torture.

I forget what we did on the third, so it was obviously no biggie, and he gave me a clean bill of heart health. That one might have been an EKG. I get all these terms mixed up.

At no point was I poked or prodded, other than maybe a blood withdrawal, and maybe some jelly on my chest (I may be imagining that?), and some of those soft candy textured patches they stuck to you to hook the cables to. In other words, it was so calm and low key, I barely remember the visits.

HUGE relief. Massive!

There is zero harm in being proactive. This is your health and your one body. You gotta own it. Don’t be scared of the doctor. Mine was actually very kind and told me I’d done the right thing coming in, especially with my family history and own prior history of Rheumatic Fever a few years ago, which can cause serious residual heart damage.