Eating out a lot

Options
Hello, I am trying to lose 15 pounds ( the freshman 15 ). I am 5’6 and 143 pounds.

I love eating healthy but I come from a family that eats out at restaurants an awful lot, or at least much more than we have meals at home. Sometimes it is difficult because all though I’ve become good at finding healthier low calorie meals it can be hard especially when the healthy option is usually just a salad ( no hate to salads ). Can anyone else relate

Replies

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Someone just started this thread - you may find useful:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10893793/healthy-eating-even-at-restaurants#latest

How many calories are you trying to stay under for a meal?

I eat out 3-4 times per week - some Things that have helped me- ordering fish - no oil, no butter.
    If I get a burger, I do no bun and a side salad no fries. I actually rarely order salad..

If I get vegetables, I ask if there is added oil or butter.

A medium chicken breast about 7oz is about 350 calories.

Ask how many ounces the steak is… 6 ounces of sirloin with fat trimmed is about 400 calories. Get a side veggie, no oil.

Or get what you like, eat a smaller portion and take half home for tomorrows leftovers. Just log it all.

:)
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You should be at least 18 to be on this site. You are not overweight and still growing. You are still not an adult and if your family takes you out to eat that is what you do.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    pony4us wrote: »
    You should be at least 18 to be on this site. You are not overweight and still growing. You are still not an adult and if your family takes you out to eat that is what you do.

I'm not sure why you assume the OP is not 18? They mention "the freshman 15" which is a term generally used by university freshman to refer to weight gained in their first year at college.

Anyway, OP, while you are already a healthy weight, your goal still keeps you in a healthy range, so that's not a problem. But, with not much to lose, your weight loss will be very slow. You'll need to be very accurate in your calorie counting, and honestly that's hard to do if you eat out a lot. Not impossible, but much harder.

Do you HAVE to go out with your family? Can you make your own meals at home, and maybe join them once a week?
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I misread, thought she meant as a freshman was 15.
    In any event even at 18 she is still growing and still not an adult. If she is living at home and will go to the store and pay for her own groceries maybe her parents will be ok as long as she pays for the food, prepares and cleans up what she prepares.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    The thing you have to remember most if you eat out as a significant part of your diet is that these are not special occasion meals. I don't really cook and half or more of my meals are from restaurants. I lost weight and maintained that loss without changing that part of my life. I just follow some guidelines I've developed over the years.

1. Meals out are just meals. Pick the veggies over fries, chicken over beef, that kind of thing.
    2. No individual appetizer or dessert. If someone orders something for the table, I may take a piece or a bite or two, but that's it.
    3. If you wouldn't have an alcoholic beverage with dinner at home, don't have one going out. If you do indulge, never more than one.
    4. Plan to eat only half and save the rest for lunch the next day. Or don't, if leftovers aren't your thing. Just eat half, regardless.

Eating out is perfectly doable in a weight loss plan, you just have to give it a little thought, and for me, a little structure.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    Look at the menu beforehand and see what options you’ve got.

I can order a ceasar salad with a double portion of grilled chicken. (I usually bring my own zero cal dressing in a small bottle or tub). I thrive on extra protein, it’s usually inexpensive to add the chicken and it’s low cal if it’s grilled versus fried.

If I go fast food, I study the menu. Most chains post their nutrition on their website. Cookout is a favorite. A big double burger tray with double onion rings and a Coke Zero is well under 600 calories.

If I go for pizza, my plan is a small side salad first to fill the corners before I go for the pizza. This helps me control how many slices I go for. Or maybe a soft pretzel and one slice, instead of two slices, which helps control calories.

So many options and most restaurants are happy to make substitutes. I asked for salad instead of rice and beans with my burrito last week, and got a heap of lettuce and tomatoes. 👍🏻 if I don’t have calories to play with, I ask for sliced bell peppers in lieu of that basket of tortilla chips.

If you enjoy the family outings, simply plan ahead. It’s on your shoulders, you’re in control here.

Enjoy these moments while you can. My immediate family is scattered all over the globe, and all of us sitting down to share a meal and companionship would be golden.

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 753 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    pony4us wrote: »
    I misread, thought she meant as a freshman was 15.
    In any event even at 18 she is still growing and still not an adult. If she is living at home and will go to the store and pay for her own groceries maybe her parents will be ok as long as she pays for the food, prepares and cleans up what she prepares.

I’m not sure what you mean about still growing? Girls typically stop growing around 14-15 years old or a couple years after menstruation begins. By age 16 the body will usually have reached its full adult form. She is likely 19 so well past that point. If you’re talking about weight gain- that is typically due to stress, lifestyle, or childbirth, which you can lose if you decide. Where you carry that weight can change over time due to hormones but you are not technically growing anymore.

And whether her parents take her to restaurants or cook for her she can learn how to make the best choices possible under those circumstances.

OP, your goals are perfectly reasonable and I understand wanting to manage your weight better moving forward. I was there too 😊. I encourage you to log everything you eat here the best you can. Maybe you can talk to the primary cook in the home and ask how you can help so you can see what goes into the food. It wouldn’t hurt to have a conversation with them as well for support if you’re comfortable. Choose more of the veggies and protein at home and out at restaurants. I would stay clear from beverages with calories as well, as those calories can creep up on you and diminish any deficit you worked for. Especially those fancy coffee drinks, I practically lived off those in college 😆.