Healthy eating, even at restaurants!

ArtsyPowerApper
ArtsyPowerApper Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2023 in Food and Nutrition
Are you able to maintain your intermittent fasting and low carb and sugar goals at restaurants? This is getting easier for me because I have learned to ask questions (be brave for your health and quality of life):

1. Can I have the burger without the bun?
2. Can I replace the fries with some mixed greens?
3. Can I have unsweetened ice tea?
4. Can I have the salad dressing on the side?
5. Do you have any non alcoholic cocktails?

A little bravery often gets surprises like the service staff trying to invent solutions like “How about a lettuce wrap rather than the bun?”

Have you tried any of these questions at your favorite restaurants - and if so how did it turn out?

Both of these images from Barking Frog restaurant in Woodinville Washington:

yiibu0lj0c0o.jpg
75vxv47rya8j.jpg

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,159 Member
    Your in control, never forget that. Cheers
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    I've been asking restaurants for modifications for decades, as someone who became vegetarian back in 1974, before most restaurants had vegetarian options. It usually works. In the US where tipping is normal, if the server is helpful with this, I tip extra.

Sometimes, there are variations they aren't able to do, because some of the dish is made/combined in advance. But most places are helpful and flexible. Even some fast-food restaurants these days will do substitutions and variations.

I admit I don't do it to maintain my intermittent fasting and low carb and sugar goals, because I don't have any of those goals, but I've done it for various other reasons.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member

1. have never asked that since I dont eat burgers anyway - but have asked similar questions - like can I have yiros meat, salad, sauce without the wrap - never had a problem omitting something like that from a dish

2. in Australia restaraunt meals that come with chips (fries to you) usually come with side salad or vegetables as well - eg steak, salad , chips - I'm sure there would be no problem saying can I have extra salad or vegetables instead of chips, or no chips thanks (or just don't eat them)

3. not sure about unsweetened iced tea here ( admittedly never tried it) - but one can easily ask for water or diet soda - I nearly always order diet coke when eating out.

4. most places would do dressing on the side if you asked

5. everywhere that sells alcoholic cocktails also sells mocktails

those are my experiences in Australia.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 403 Member
    Definitely. This is how it’s done. With replacements and alternatives. Some restaurants are not accommodating. Most are helpful though and want you to have a pleasant dining experience. I’ve had to learn to disclose my food sensitivity. That takes bravery for sure. I hate to be a bother and often times they make it more serious than I feel necessary but to be healthy and stay healthy I have to be willing to share that with others and it’s hard sometimes.
  • kmbtrigger24
    kmbtrigger24 Posts: 11 Member
    Sometimes when I am eating out in a group or with extended family, they will tease me or make comments. I usually will ask for no bun, or will only eat half of the bun. I hate making things difficult for people and don't want to make extra work for the staff.

However, I have slowly learned a few things.
    1) If people are judging you for making healthy choices for yourself they are the wrong people to be with so either remove them (or if they are family) ignore them.
    2) It probably isn't a lot of extra work or maybe is even easier. Now they don't have to toast a bun :smiley:
    3) Advocating for your health feels amazing over time. Every time you make a good choice you are making a deposit into your wellbeing and your life.

Nowadays many places have better options and are more open to making things healthier.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I've been advocating for my preferences for years. For example, I don't want fresh tomato anywhere near my food.

I'd have no qualms advocating for my health, but I have no low carb goals. IF 12:12 works just fine for me.
  • denaboutross
    denaboutross Posts: 1 Member
    Hi
    Happy to find support group
  • foliographerdoha
    foliographerdoha Posts: 35 Member
    Are you able to maintain your intermittent fasting and low carb and sugar goals at restaurants? This is getting easier for me because I have learned to ask questions (be brave for your health and quality of life):

A little bravery often gets surprises like the service staff trying to invent solutions like “How about a lettuce wrap rather than the bun?”

Have you tried any of these questions at your favorite restaurants - and if so how did it turn out?

Both of these images from Barking Frog restaurant in Woodinville Washington:

yiibu0lj0c0o.jpg
    75vxv47rya8j.jpg

Cheers good go !
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member
    I've been asking to have things "my way" for decades, not always for dieting reasons (and not every time -- I'm often perfectly happy with the way the restaurant has chosen to prepare the dish). And, as OP phrases it in the list, I always phrase it as a question: "Can I have ... [without X or X instead of Y]?" or "Can you leave out X?"

I don't see asking if they have "unsweet" tea (a regionalism, maybe, but that's the way I generally hear it and hence say it) as some big ask, as so many menus aren't terribly specific about available non-alcoholic beverages. It doesn't seem any bigger deal than asking what the vegetable/soup/fish of the day is.

However, just want to point out that a nonalcoholic cocktail is likely to be at least as high in carbs and sugar as an alcoholic cocktail, since some volume of the alcoholic cocktail is generally distilled alcohol, which -- barring some kind of infusion -- has no carbs or sugar. Yes, there are exceptions, like a mocktail that's basically muddled fruit/cucumber/ginger etc. and seltzer. But on average, I don't think you're saving carbs and sugar with a mocktail, which often has more of whatever carby/sugary mixer (such as fruit juice) as the alcoholic cocktail does.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,319 Member
    edited July 2023
    Agree… as someone who goes out to eat a few times per week.. or orders lunch to work… I order it exactly the way I want it.

I have never had a problem ordering a non alcoholic drink (i do lime, seltzer and shot of grapefruit) or no bun…
    Even low sugar… I’ll tell the server, hey I’m low sugar .. I’ve only had positive experiences.