sarn01 Posts: 5 Member
I make my own granola but don’t know how to calculate this for my breakfast
Any ideas
I add lots of ingredients

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Use the MFP recipe feature. (Or, use the meal feature, which will also work, but a little differently.) Check each "found" ingredient carefully to make sure it's accurate, and replace or change the quantity of any that aren't exactly what you want. (This will be a little laborious while learning, but it gets easier the more you use the features.)

When you make the granola, weigh each ingredient on your food scale, ideally in grams. Note the item & weight. If your granola is raw, you can just total the ingredients' weights to get the total finished weight. If you bake or otherwise cook the granola, weigh that total finished product once it's cooled to get the finished weight.

In the recipe builder, put the weight in "number of servings". For example, if the total weight of the finished granola is 1172 grams, put 1172 servings. MFP will give you some kind of "do you mean it?" message, but it will let you use that number. Then finish adding the ingredients to finish the MFP recipe.

When you use some of the granola, weigh the amount you use, and log it as that many servings, i.e., if you eat 75 grams, log it as 75 servings.

If you use the meal feature instead of the recipe builder, there's not a serving count in that same way. You can put the weight of the total in the meal name, and use that to calculate your serving when you eat the granola. For example, using the numbers above, if your total finished granola was 1172 grams, and your serving was 75 grams, you'd log 75/1172 of the meal, i.e., 0.064 of the meal.

I hope that makes sense.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Also, once you set up the recipe, remember to hit Save! Ask me how I know . . .

Sadly, granola is usually super high in calories. Too bad because I love it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Also, once you set up the recipe, remember to hit Save! Ask me how I know . . .

Sadly, granola is usually super high in calories. Too bad because I love it.

I usually hit Save after every two or three ingredients, and then Edit to add more.
  • sarn01
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Use the MFP recipe feature. (Or, use the meal feature, which will also work, but a little differently.) Check each "found" ingredient carefully to make sure it's accurate, and replace or change the quantity of any that aren't exactly what you want. (This will be a little laborious while learning, but it gets easier the more you use the features.)

When you make the granola, weigh each ingredient on your food scale, ideally in grams. Note the item & weight. If your granola is raw, you can just total the ingredients' weights to get the total finished weight. If you bake or otherwise cook the granola, weigh that total finished product once it's cooled to get the finished weight.

In the recipe builder, put the weight in "number of servings". For example, if the total weight of the finished granola is 1172 grams, put 1172 servings. MFP will give you some kind of "do you mean it?" message, but it will let you use that number. Then finish adding the ingredients to finish the MFP recipe.

When you use some of the granola, weigh the amount you use, and log it as that many servings, i.e., if you eat 75 grams, log it as 75 servings.

If you use the meal feature instead of the recipe builder, there's not a serving count in that same way. You can put the weight of the total in the meal name, and use that to calculate your serving when you eat the granola. For example, using the numbers above, if your total finished granola was 1172 grams, and your serving was 75 grams, you'd log 75/1172 of the meal, i.e., 0.064 of the meal.

I hope that makes sense.

• sarn01
    Options
    Thank you so much Ann for your help, I would never have known to do it this way without your great detail
    Thank you also to everyone else