Please help me understand....motivation/support

Options
2»

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Here on MFP when people start a thread asking how they can find motivation I reply with this: http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

Not sure if that applies or would be wise for the OP :lol:

🤣😂 I tried to click on it.... 🤦‍♀️
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    I've learned how not to fix things when my clients vent to me. It's one thing if it has to do with fitness and health, but a lot of my clients just vent about their home life, work, relationships, etc. As a lot of what I do is head nod, smile and or just apologize. Consequently a lot of my sessions with them get a reoccurring billing because at least while they workout, they get to speak their mind without me being judgemental. I never give opinion or advice unless asked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of asking her what support looks like to her.

I will also note that men tend to a) have more calories then women and b) lose weight faster.

That’s generic but based on height, often true. And it’s just. not. fair. Especially if she doesn’t have a lot to lose.

So maybe it’s asking if you can approach this as a team.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    avatiach wrote: »
    I love the idea of asking her what support looks like to her.

I will also note that men tend to a) have more calories then women and b) lose weight faster.

That’s generic but based on height, often true. And it’s just. not. fair. Especially if she doesn’t have a lot to lose.

So maybe it’s asking if you can approach this as a team.
    Well if you're talking a husband/wife losing weight together, the majority of men are likely taller and larger in mass than their spouse. Hence, a bigger person gets to eat more calories. And hormonally, men have more testosterone which affects how much muscle you can retain whether they work out or not versus a female.
    Have to look at it objectively as well. Even males who may need to lose just 20lbs, can struggle after just 5lbs of loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    collinsje1 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think there probably as many meanings as people saying that, but also that there may be two broad answers, generic and specific (and maybe 3, because I'm an interfering, opinionated little ol' lady).

Generically, I think people ask for support or motivation here (from others) because they feel a little lost, maybe have failed before, have bought into the myths that losing weight has to involve suffering (because fat is a sin we need to expiate?!?) so they know they will find it hard to stick through the suffering (extreme diets, punitive exercise regimens), and they are hoping someone else can throw them a lifeline. So many people want to find the weird trick, the hack, the magic, the answer. They may implicitly want it to require not much change in routine habits, because change itself is hard.

As an aside, you will see old-timers here periodically answer some of these requests with "use methods that aren't so radical and unpleasant that they require constant motivation". (I'm 100% one of those old-timers.)

A few - I think/hope not most - may also be creating a situation where they have some external person/thing to attribute eventual failure to, so that they can preserve their self-image as someone who tried really, really hard against what turned out to be insurmountable odds. (I'm not saying that's blameful. It's very human. I do think it's sad: In a sense, self-disempowering.)

That said, it's also true that succeeding at something like weight management, fitness or health improvement is objectively harder if one's whole regular social context doesn't do or support those things. For a time, I used newsletters and reading in responsible web sites to get some of that context, and - big time! - the MFP community.

Specifically, within a couple, I agree with others that a support request means things like "don't sabotage me" or a bit more positive variation on that. That would include things like not offering/urging food treats, not flaunting your (probably higher) calorie level or progress, diplomatically asking if she wants to be included when you . . . I dunno, go for a walk, or try a new veggie, or whatever . . . then not fussing if she's not ready for that. I do think people need to find their own path, to a large extent.

That third thing: "Support me but I won't say how" is to me a communicational red flag, a general orientation that can affect other parts of partnered life. I'm not sure how to get around that, short of something like couples' counseling, honestly. I'm widowed now, but was married for 20+ years, reasonably happily. Early on, we needed to work through some similar issues, but it did involve some sharp conflict in the moment. It did eventually reach clarity. We stayed together during the conflicts, and I can't really tell you why, because some people don't.

If you two have been married a long time, maybe this general situation is more workable for you than for me, because I'd assume the general orientation has been there ("if you cared you'd know what I want"). Speaking only for myself, I do want my partner to feel happy and fulfilled, and I am (was) willing to devote personal energy to that. But I'm a terrible, terrible mind reader - worse than he was, definitely. I need to know what my partner wants, explicitly by them telling me, then I'll go a long way to do that (short of things that compromise personal integrity, ethics, morality, and that sort of thing). YMMV.

Perhaps not to you, but to me the circumstances you're in now would feel like a minefield, I'm sorry to say.

Best wishes, sincerely.

@AnnPT77 I was hoping you would answer this.....you always have great advice and very well thought out responses!!!!! So, thank you!!!'
    Thank you . . . but also, this quite honestly scares the bejeepers out of me.
    I should clarify a few things here.....my wife and I have a very good marriage and for the most part communicate pretty well. This just happens to be one of the things that we struggle to effectively communicate about. As it's been said by others in this thread.........the topic of wives and weight is a touchy one at best. So, I think that's the biggest hurdle her and I have with this.

Part of this also stems from the fact that I have lost a pile of weight and have done so quite fast and that tends to discourage her.....becasue she hasn't/isn't losing as much as me. And that she thinks it's easy for me " she has said that well its easy for you do lose weight" well fact of the matter is it, isn't easy it's been alot of work and dedication to stay the course. It maybe that she doesnt see my internal struggle with it or the sacrifices that I have made.

I think there's serious potential for difficulty in the bolded.

I do think that everyone has challenges and difficulties in managing weight, but they're all different from one person to the next. I think comparables are unhelpful and in some sense irrational: Is my hard a harder hard than your hard? That's not answerable, IMO. It's all subjective, and our own personal hard is always a harder hard than someone else's, because it's visceral. Add in being a couple, and it's more fraught yet.

I'd say this in my own case: I don't attribute the slightest blame to him, it's all me . . . but the fact that my physically larger and more active husband could eat more food - bigger portions, richer things - was in reality a thing that contributed to my being overweight/obese in the first place. I knew even then that what I put in my mouth, chewed, and swallowed was 100% on me. But it was hard to see him eat the big portion of tasty things, the rich dessert . . . I ate more than I should've out of envy or FOMO or something. My fault, not his. Factual, nonetheless.

Still, I think sensitivity to these two issues may be useful: "My hard isn't your hard" and "one of my hards is seeing you able to eat more of tasty stuff and still lose faster".

It may be irrational, but it takes so little to feel like the more fortunate partner is rubbing it in (even when they're not). Some of what @springlering62 mentioned doing, to not flaunt her higher calorie intake to her husband, may be relevant here.

If some of how much you get to eat, or how fast you lose doing it, is an irritant - even if irrationally - then you saying anything about it being hard for you, too . . . that's going to be hard to swallow. Yes, not fair. Yes, not rational. I still think it may be the case.

Stinks to be you, in some respects, and no way to talk about that without seeming unsupportive, maybe.

If you two can get through this phase, and into a more active, more health-focused joint set of daily habits, I think that has the potential to be pretty magical. Lots of possible potholes in the road on the way, though.

Wishing you both a smooth-ish way through the challenges!

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Looking through this thread, there's a good variety of opinions on what constitutes success expressed by various posters. Maybe in a calm moment you could say to her, "I want to support you in the way you want/need to be supported, but I honestly am not sure what that means in this particular situation. I went on the MFP boards and asked to see if there's some consensus as to what that usually means in a weight loss context, and I got a lot of different answers. It seemed to upset you before when I asked what kind of support you want, but maybe if you looked through this thread, you could point out which posts -- if any -- sound like what you want."

Obviously you have a better idea than I do how that might go over.

More generally, in response to your initial question, I think there's a difference between Internet community support, which from my observations does more often than not seem to be asking for moral support, commiseration, and cheerleading, and support IRL. When people make posts complaining about a lack of support from family, it seems to me that they're often talking about something more concrete than moral support (especially from people they live with -- people do sometimes face a lot of verbal opposition to their need to lose weight). They often talk about things like "sabotage" in the form of bringing trigger foods into the house or even buying them specifically for the dieter, undermining efforts to cook healthier, refusing to allow the poster time to exercise, etc.

Best of luck.
  • ktsj2015
    ktsj2015 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband have needed to lose weight at different times and for different reasons.

The one thing i can say is it's so much easier to "Stay on Track" when he is onboard. Atm we are both trying to lose weight it's great .... we are both onboard for cooking healthy diet friendly foods, we go for walks together to earn a few exercise cals.

When my husband is not 'Onboard" because he doesn't need to lose weight.. it's really hard for me to lose weight. Now i understand that he doesn't control what i put in my mouth.. but it's alot harder to be disciplined when he's not being disciplined.

"Hey hunny to you fancy a takeaway?" .... yes the answer is always yes... i get that he's not forcing me to have a takeway, i could say no... but if he's having a takeaway i'm going to have one too..

"he sits down and demolishes a cake, icecream whatever..." i will see it... crave it... then find some for myself.

When he's not onboard and cooks... he'll cook what he fancies. Often he can't tell me how many calories are in it and it's likely to be heavy in calories. He'll dish me a portion up, which is often as big as his portion. Not only am i going to eat the whole portion because it's there.... but because he'll have no idea how many calories are in the food he's just served, i struggle to log it.. i have an "All or Nothing" mentality. If i can't log a meal accurately in my head the whole day has gone out of the window.

So for me... when i ask for my husband to be supportive i'm not asking for his advice.What i am asking for is even if he's not dieting himself, is for him to be considerate of the fact that i am dieting...

This generally means...

1) Not tempting me with "diet unfriendly foods" .. he can still have snacks, treats just don't wave them in my face. He can still have a takeaway but he needs to go to a shop that has diet friendly options or do it on a day i'm out of the house.

2) When he cooks be mindful that i am dieting so he needs to watch my portion size (Or let me serve my own portion) and either cook things i can calculate the calories in easily (such as chicken and veg) or be able to tell me how many calories there are so i can log it.

3) Come for walks with me... walks are so much nicer when there is someone to talk to.

4) Generally support any efforts im making, take over jobs or shift things around so I can do things like go the gym or for a walk.

Finally remember everyone has a different relationship with food, for some it's very matter of fact mathematical. Some have a complex and emotional tie to food and just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it doesn't make things complicated for them.

• collinsje1
    collinsje1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your time and thoughts on this!!!!!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I also tend to not understand the need for other peoples help. However, I grew up an athlete. So when I need to cut weight, I am returning to something familiar. I associate fitness with strength, relative success, pride. For many people that’s just not the case
  • Mirame23
    Mirame23 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    -
  • onhaltn
    onhaltn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Fascinating to read the responses. For me, the support I’ve gotten from friends and family has included: (1) letting me talk about my new exercise routines, which is interesting to me but probably a bit boring for them; (b) agreeing to look for dinner options at home or out at restaurants where they can enjoy what they like but I can also find my kinds of food (lots of veggies and seafood, very little meat or starch); joining me for walks or swims; being enthusiastically happy for me when I share the news I met another milestone. I’m very grateful to them for this.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    -

@karenputnal hi and welcome to MFP.

Helpful hint: I’m guessing you’re trying to flag this thread. On these boards you flag a thread by clicking on the flag at the top of the page, like so

et0jlf801966.jpeg

If you click your user photo (what the heck are these things called?! Brain fart!) at the very top right of any page on the boards….
    bvwtk4xe3rim.jpeg

you’ll see a little bell.
    u0wt7ark2cwd.jpeg

It will show you any responses to threads you flagged as well as any time someone has mentioned you by name in the @karenputnal format, or has quoted you.

Hope this helps!

Sorry for the hijack, y’all.
  • TicTacToo
    TicTacToo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You could read about Carkhuff responses... it's a logical way (on a numeric 5-point scale) of considering how the response to someone's statement or question is reflective or empathetic.

In general conversation it is not necessary to be reflective or empathetic all the time. However, in situations where your discussion partner is seeking validation or expressing strong feelings, responding using the Carkhuff model can help that person feel relieved at being understood if not necessarily agreed with.