gym weight routine? online or book resources?

Options
I know how to do a very few basic weight machines and a couple free weight things at the gym. But I know you are supposed to switch things up and not do the exact same things every time, right?

I wish I could afford a trainer right now but the gym was a stretch in itself at the moment.

Does anyone have any book recommendations or online links that would be good for weight routines?

Replies

• hayescarmen364
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is kinda like this site expect it deals with working out at the gym and what not. Look through the Articals and you will find over 10,000 of them on there about work outs and what not.
  • MrsHallum07
    MrsHallum07 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    :wink: I have found some great routines on fitnessmagazine.com, hope this helps... they have alot of great information & workouts
  • CPrincipeDeSA
    CPrincipeDeSA Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Muscle & Fitness Hers magazine. Great resource!
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    A book recommended by others, "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" --> http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    There are several threads about it, but check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great read and covers all the fundamentals of strength training for women. Also contains a 52 week workout plan.
  • queenofnot
    Options
    I've been a gym rat for years and here are some of the ways I've learned how to use weights:

Watch what the trainers do with the people they are training.

Take classes. Our step aerobics class uses all kinds of weights and I've learned a lot.

Start talking to other people who seem to know what they are doing. It's easy to ignore everyone, but you can learn a lot from others.

Watch you-tube videos. Spark people has good videos and work-outs as well.

Look at some of the body building website bulletin boards. A friend of mine competed this fall and I ended up on some boards trying to follow the body-building competition. People describe in detail what their workouts are.

Here's a great website that really emphasizes form: www.crossfit.com

Go to the library and check out some dvd's and books.

Hope this helps-
  • yummummum
    Options
    These are all great, thanks so much all!!!