Are your friends making you fat?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/food-thought/201208/are-your-friends-making-you-fat

I actually do believe that the friends you hang out with influence your eating habits. And if they aren't trying to control their weight, then you hanging with them on a Friday night or weekend will likely affect your own journey if you're trying to lose a lot of weight.
Now I'm not saying abandon your friends, but you do need to be more disciplined when around them.
Interestingly enough, when I personally stopped drinking and the friends I had before knew it, they stopped asking me to hang out with them when they wanted to get smashed. Mind you, I would have said no to drinking if with them, but they didn't invite me anymore because I was no more "fun" because I was sober with them.
Same thing could happen if you tell your friends no to eating a full plate of fettuccine dripping in sauce and choose to eat a lighter plate. They may feel embarrassed to eat in front of you anymore, and you may not be invited to go out and eat with them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In my age group (mid70s-80s+) we are at an age where people just can't eat much (or drink much) so no, my friends make me feel like I overeat when I eat a sandwich and they nibble on half.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    💯. I had the same experience.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @ninerbuff I've had friends who wanted to eat by proxy. Invite you out, and watch you eat all of the things. They eat all kinds of imaginary foods, live vicariously through the cooking shows, and actually pretend they're eating. They talk about food incessantly, cook up a storm, but never eat their own baked goods or cooking. Disordered eating and drinking can take all kinds of forms, and sneak right in there. You're correct, you can lose friends over food and drinks. It's uncomfortable having someone watch every bite you take. You know what they're thinking, too. Sometimes, you just have to walk away from that kind of obsessive behavior.

Did they want to make me fat? Ayup. I know so. No one gets to live in my body or eat through me, so bite me.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,118 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Personal experience: friends were irrelevant. I was the only obese person among my friends, way way heavier than any of them.
    Ironically, I'm sure some of them now wonder how I can be thin eating as much as I do.

My parents are obese though (each for different reasons). I think the mindset of my mom had way more influence on me before I 'saw the light' than any eating habits from my friends.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    People in general are quite norm-driven, it seems to me. That is, we tend to want to behave in ways we believe are "normal". The people who surround us implicitly define what "normal" is . . . whether they pressure us or not.

I honestly didn't experience much of people pressuring me to eat more when I was losing weight. (I tried not to let my eating habits or the fact that I was trying to lose weight become a topic of conversation at all, ever.) The only case I can think of was a friend who made a mildly critical-seeming remark about how I didn't eat bread anymore (not true) when she saw me order veggie burgers a few times without the bun (buns not worth the calories, to me, so why order them?).

I was already hanging out with a bunch of recreational athletes and had for a long time while overweight/obese, though I had/have friends of other types, too - maybe that makes a difference. I don't have any friend groups where the whole/main basis of the relationship was eating/drinking.

In general, if my friends try to bully me into doing something I don't want to do, or bully me out of something I do want to do . . . I think I need better friends, honestly. That's not how actual friends act, in my view.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    Beware the rain, beware the snow. Beware the friends you think you know. Those friends of mine would always want to go out for food. I would order off the menu and they wouldn't. :D They wanted to watch me eat. I realized it was cuckoo bird behavior, but I didn't let them bully me into eating more than a normal person would.

Women know that women can be highly competitive. Weight, looks, clothes, boyfriends. Cuckoo birds. We grow UP and we look back. We can clearly see that we were all flawed in some way. We learn, let go and love them, anyway.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I disagree. At the end of the day, what you ingest is on you. If you want to effect change, it requires diligence and consistency. Stop making excuses and blaming others. If someone doesn't like you being healthier, that's their problem, not your problem.
    It's not actually "blaming others". While you have control of what you eat, if you're around peers that aren't concerned, it's mentioned that "pressure" from them to let loose and it's "no big deal" can get some to just cave because they don't want to be incessantly nagged by them.
    You can choose a healthier option at the restaurant. You can choose a healthier substitution. You can choose sauce on the side. You can choose to limit your alcohol. If at home, you can choose a smaller portion. etc. etc. I mean specifically wrt peer pressure here, not talking about personal addiction, that's different of course.
    Yes, but as I mentioned, sometimes if friends notice that you're not "in" with them on drinking and eating out what THEY WANT, they may not end up inviting you to go along anymore.
    At Thanksgiving I find it ridiculous that we always end up with an average of almost one large dessert (enough for multiple people) per person. So much waste. But I'm not hosting, so I can't fault them leaving it out. I wouldn't leave out such temptations at home, but it's still on me if I choose to partake.
    I totally believe there are occassions to let loose. Because just one day isn't kill gains or losses. Being Filipino, I can attest that I don't cook a lot of our traditional foods because of the calories in them. But I'm not going to turn them down at a family party. I'll control how much I eat, but I'll be accountable for the calories overall. Extra working out and activity the next 2 days after.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    On the flip side, I also had some friends (we're just acquaintances now) who became food snobs. Every time I would eat something "bad", they would lecture you on why you shouldn't be eating it. I invited them to a family party once so they could check out our cultural foods. They asked what was being served. After I told them, they requested if they could pack their own and just bring it with them. Lol, I told them, it's probably better they don't come because my relative would take it as an insult if you didn't eat the food they made. I don't go out with them anywhere now. Just see them in the gym.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • pony4us
    Options
    Wow niner sounds like you have had a rotten bunch of friends. Maybe be more picky in the furture.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    pony4us wrote: »
    Wow niner sounds like you have had a rotten bunch of friends. Maybe be more picky in the furture.

I think this is probably the crux of the matter. I’ve never had friends that cared what I ate or drank beyond “can I try a taste of that?” If your “friends” are pressuring you to only do what they want to do where they want to do it, maybe they aren’t actually your friends.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

I think this is probably the crux of the matter. I’ve never had friends that cared what I ate or drank beyond “can I try a taste of that?” If your “friends” are pressuring you to only do what they want to do where they want to do it, maybe they aren’t actually your friends.
    Which is why some people trying to lose weight may need to associate with newer friends that have the same goals in mind. Anyone will tell you that just about any challenge is much easier to uptake if others around them are on the same path.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• pony4us
    Options
    I think you may be confusing "friends" with just people you hang out with. I have a few (very few) close friends, have had them for years, they are as important as family. Friends (as opposed to acquaintances) just would not behave the way you have been discussing, either in your youth when you went out partying or now in your carreer in fitness when you go out to eat.
    But I do agree...ditch the acquaintances if you do not enjoy their company.
    I think the need to be around others losing weight was the idea behind WW and other groups, works for some people if that is what they want.
  • ninerbuff
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I think you may be confusing "friends" with just people you hang out with. I have a few (very few) close friends, have had them for years, they are as important as family. Friends (as opposed to acquaintances) just would not behave the way you have been discussing, either in your youth when you went out partying or now in your carreer in fitness when you go out to eat.
    But I do agree...ditch the acquaintances if you do not enjoy their company.
    I think the need to be around others losing weight was the idea behind WW and other groups, works for some people if that is what they want.
    I'd think you may be surprised at how some friends of others do react when one of their's loses a lot of weight. While on the surface they may be "cheering" them on, in secret they are the one's that criticize them. I actually had this happen in one of my classes. A small group of female friends decided to lose weight together. After a few months, only one of the girls was losing to the point you could see a significant loss. One day I was prepping for class, when the one who lost the weight went to the restroom before class. The others then began to talk about her (I was within earshot), "Why is she wearing a sports bra?", "she thinks she's all that now", "she doesn't eat lunch with us anymore", were just some of the things I overheard before she returned.
    I believe that many people may react this way due to them not achieving the same results as their friend. No one wants to look at themselves as failures, so they may deflect. And I've personally witness friendships, and relationships break up because of the success of a person in weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, when I personally stopped drinking and the friends I had before knew it, they stopped asking me to hang out with them when they wanted to get smashed. Mind you, I would have said no to drinking if with them, but they didn't invite me anymore because I was no more "fun" because I was sober with them.

Same experience as a non-drinker. I've actually been told that I wasn't invited to certain events because "well, you don't drink..." like "what's the point in inviting you?" Note that I am not judgey or preachy about drinking but there are some women in the circle who are very hard drinkers and I think they fear being judged. Or, at the very least, having someone present who is stone cold sober and has a clear memory of their drunken antics.

Not sure the same would apply to food with this group as almost all of the women are perpetually dieting so there would be more empathy for restricting calories.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump