Why can't I lose weight?

Options
I spent 2 years eating lots of junk food (sometimes 2800 calories a day) and gained 18 pounds.
I have now spent 9 months eating healthy, excercising a lot, and eating under 1700 calories a day. I have only lost 13 of the 18 pounds and can't lose anymore. How does this make sense?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Are you sure you're on 1700?

Have you gained muscle in that time? Do you really need to lose that five pounds?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    can't lose anymore

Yes you can.

It's either that you've not been logging food, not logging it accurately OR 1700 is too high for you for weight loss.

If it's been more than three weeks at the same weight, lower your calories by 200 and keep going.
  • keirakay1989
    keirakay1989 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on a weight loss journey, as well. I have calculated myself needing 1,200 calories a day. I have learned that I have been severely undereating when it comes to meals, but overeating in snacks. I'm just starting, but I started planning my meals ahead of time. Still learning, so I'm not a pro. But I ate properly yesterday and forgot to take in account the calories I would burn during a workout. I ended my day with needing 456 calories so I made a protein shake for a snack.
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was expecting to read that you struggled to lose weight, and instead see you’re already 72% of the way to goal!

Keep it up, you’re almost there! You may need to tighten up logging, as it’s easy to slack a bit after a while. Or perhaps your BMR is a little lower from your weight loss and you may need to adjust downward again. Or perhaps you don’t need to do a thing except wait, not sure how long it’s been since you’ve “stalled.”
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Height and weight?
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Umm, are you using MFP’s numbers? If so, did you recalculate them every 10-15 pounds lost? Because a smaller body needs less calories. Just a suggestion.
  • Jan1936
    Jan1936 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Calories are not just calories- Really pay attention to your macros. Increase your protein and make sure that your carbs are high nutrient (fruit, veg). Add a relaxing evening walk of thirty minutes or so after dinner if you can- a gentle stroll. I am over 65 and struggled like crazy to lose on restricted calories because my body seemed to just adjust (great for survival, not great for weight loss). I lost 35 pounds adjusting the macros inside my calorie window and adding the walk. Cheers!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    Jan1936 wrote: »
    Calories are not just calories- Really pay attention to your macros. Increase your protein and make sure that your carbs are high nutrient (fruit, veg). Add a relaxing evening walk of thirty minutes or so after dinner if you can- a gentle stroll. I am over 65 and struggled like crazy to lose on restricted calories because my body seemed to just adjust (great for survival, not great for weight loss). I lost 35 pounds adjusting the macros inside my calorie window and adding the walk. Cheers!
    I don't think the macro split matters wrt weight loss? As people have shown, they can lose weight only eating McD's or Twinkies. It's all about the deficit. Better macros/food can help with satiety and adherence.

Another thing nutrition can affect is energy level, perhaps in subtle ways. Since PP is 65, I'll comment that as I age (now 67), my body seems less resilient in various ways to nearly any stressor. That includes being less resilient to getting sub-par nutrition.

I'm not arguing that macros are necessarily a big key thing for weight loss at any age, including older ones, BTW . . . and I'm certainly not arguing that balancing calorie intake/expenditure is anything other than the foundation issue. But human bodies are dynamic: Calories in affects calories out.

Many folks around my age (and up) seriously undereat protein, too, according to the statistics . . . to our detriment. I know you (Retro) understand the importance of protein. A small factor in weight management, from a big increase, can be from its TEF.

CICO (the calorie balance equation) always applies, but we do see people here fall for the idea that calorie counting means putting your data in a calculator, eating the recommended number of calories (of whatever, supposedly doesn't matter), and - boom - lose weight as expected every single week.

Calorie counting can work for most people, I think, but it's not as simple as that. Pretty simple, though. ;)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    OP, you were losing pretty slowly on average in the first place, averaging around 1/3 pound per week. That's not a bad thing at all.

But - since you haven't given us the relevant info to really assess sensibly - it seems like one very plausible explanation is that you're now eating maintenance calories, if the stall has been for a month or more.

Normally, when someone says they've stalled, I'd ask whether they were losing at a good rate and stopped losing suddenly, or if instead their loss gradually tapered off.

If sudden change, without an equally sudden change in eating or activity (either exercise or daily life stuff), the somewhat more likely explanation is increased water retention. The reason may not be obvious, and yes in some scenarios it can last for weeks.

On the other hand, if loss tapers off gradually then stalls, the odds go up that the explanation is that the person has found their maintenance calories. (Real world experience trumps any calorie calculator when it comes to defining maintenance calories.)

That's why I'm saying what I am. You can lose more. How to do that? You'd need to give us more details, but right now I'd be shooting in the dark.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    Just a totally random thought. I was discussing with a girlfriend yesterday about how our weight is really bouncing around the last couple weeks.

We both walk a LOT, and it’s been well into the 90’s here the past couple weeks.

We agreed the heat probably has a lot to do with it.

I can’t seem to stay hydrated even though I feel like I’m drinking two or three times as much water as usual.

Also, my hot mat classes have been verging on intolerably hot.

I’m also craving salty foods as a result of the heat.

If you’re a walker or runner, “heat stress” may be a factor, too, and may be disguising loss.

I’m not worried. It’s just a temporary thing for me to bounce so hard in both directions. As soon as it cools off a wee bit, I expect to “lose” several pounds.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Just a totally random thought. I was discussing with a girlfriend yesterday about how our weight is really bouncing around the last couple weeks.

We both walk a LOT, and it’s been well into the 90’s here the past couple weeks.

I can’t seem to stay hydrated even though I feel like I’m drinking two or three times as much water as usual.

If you’re a walker or runner, “heat stress” may be a factor, too, and may be disguising loss.

I’m not worried. It’s just a temporary thing for me to bounce so hard in both directions. As soon as it cools off a wee bit, I expect to “lose” several pounds.

I was in Alaska for a few weeks, came back to Texas, and my weight immediately shot up, like, 3 pounds. I think you're on to something!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    Yep, possibly being dehydrated, body holds on to water to keep you hydrated. Can lead to water weight gain. Don't sweat it (hehehe :D )
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    All good stuff above. I went through a 15lb cut this year and hit a plateau that went on for at least to weeks.

It sucks!

If you just stay on the same program that has proven that it will work it will eventually work again. It just takes persistence.

PS You've lost at fantastic rate for long term success. It means you are just below your daily caloric need (TDEE) by about 200kcals on average. Consider that when you go on maintenance. You get just a little more. Keep logging for as long as you can stand it!
  • AnnPT77
    Options

On top of that, just for calorie counting fun, both higher ambient heat during exercise and dehydration during exercise will tend to increase heart-rate based calorie estimates for that exercise session. The actual calorie expenditure doesn't increase commensurately.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

On top of that, just for calorie counting fun, both higher ambient heat during exercise and dehydration during exercise will tend to increase heart-rate based calorie estimates for that exercise session. The actual calorie expenditure doesn't increase commensurately.

Wouldn't it be great if you could burn more calories just by watching a scary movie and raising our HR this way?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

10 years ago that's how I found out I had POTS. My fibit was telling me to eat thousands of calories just because my HR was very high most of the day. Oh I wish HR affected calories. Sadly nope.
  • FuzzyGunna
    FuzzyGunna Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    So, 18 lbs/2 years = 90 cal a day over TDEE (calculated as ((18 lbs*3700 cal per lb)/(104 weeks in 2 years))/7 days in a week) On the losing side you have: 13lbs/9mos. = 190 cal day under TDEE ((13lbs*3700 cal per lb)/9 months)/4 weeks per month

So you gained the weight by being 90 cal a day over on average, and lost what you have by being 190 cal per day under on average. But having lost 13 lbs, you TDEE will have changed by up to 100 cal per day. Assuming you've changed nothing about how you eat, it would mean you're under your TDEE by 90 cal/day on average. At that rate, it will take you a 41 days to lose 1 lb, or a month and 10 days. So you can keep eating like you are and it will take you over half a year to lose the last 5 lbs, or you can further decrease your caloric intake by 200 calories a day and lose that weight in about 3.5 months. Or eat even less to lose faster.

Also, when your talking about <100 cal/day deficit, your tracking needs to be spot on. All calculations assume 1lb of fat = 3700 cal.
  • tishie1
    tishie1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're on 1700?

Have you gained muscle in that time? Do you really need to lose that five pounds?

I have gained some muscle, but not tons. I have have a BMI of 27.1 so definitely need to lose lots of weight!