Cal in vs Cal out

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »
    I think the "calories out" are quite difficult to measure. I found with some experimentation that the MFP estimates were too high, and I changed over to just having a set amount. When I was your size, if I remember, I think I could lose on about 1600 calories, but only very slowly. I would not have lost weight on 1900. In fact, I had gained weight on 1900!

Obviously the figure went down as I lost weight, so be prepared that you might find that even your maintenance calories at goal are quite low, unfortunately. BUT I do think your hunger adjusts a little bit.

If you've found that there is nothing else going on, then likely you are just eating a little bit too much, I think.

I'd also say that what you eat does matter, but not so much in the CICO sense. It's about (a) getting good nutrition within an ever-decreasing calorie intake and (b) finding what works for you to help satiety and control.
    Yeah, you do have to find if your calories out do match intake. With some it's trial and error. Things like age, sleep and hormones affect this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tazroni
    tazroni Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For me personally when the scales do not move it is telling me several things. I am either eating too many calories, I am not moving enough and I am eating enough calories and moving enough to maintain my current weight. That is when I re examine what I am doing. Based on your height and weight is 1900 calories the amount of calories my fitness pal suggested? Trying dropping your calories down to 1400 for several weeks, track your food daily and see if anything changes. Usually exercising puts me in more of a calorie deficit and if I find I am super hungry and just have to eat something in the evening I turn to fruit or sometimes a protein drink to take the edge off.
  • FuzzyGunna
    FuzzyGunna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In addition to the comments here, I'll agree that more info is needed, however, one other possibility is that if you deficit is too severe, you may need to increase calories. The body can go into survival mode and make it hard to lose weight. Consuming a high calorie meal might break the weight loss plateau.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,121 Member
    Options
    FuzzyGunna wrote: »
    In addition to the comments here, I'll agree that more info is needed, however, one other possibility is that if you deficit is too severe, you may need to increase calories. The body can go into survival mode and make it hard to lose weight. Consuming a high calorie meal might break the weight loss plateau.

No, that doesn't happen. If they are not losing at 1900, they need to eat less either because they are not logging calories accurately enough or they don't actually use more than 1900 calories in a day.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Wow! I read through discussions like this and they boggle my mind. I don’t have a lot of rules about eating. I have a daily calorie goal set, I log calories every day and weigh myself. I highly doubt that anything I’m doing is really accurate. I kind of estimate things as best I can. I watch the scale for results. If I don’t like what I see, I change things, usually by eating less or increasing my exercise. This works for me. Anything else would be too stressful.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Wow! I read through discussions like this and they boggle my mind. I don’t have a lot of rules about eating. I have a daily calorie goal set, I log calories every day and weigh myself. I highly doubt that anything I’m doing is really accurate. I kind of estimate things as best I can. I watch the scale for results. If I don’t like what I see, I change things, usually by eating less or increasing my exercise. This works for me. Anything else would be too stressful.
    For some that may work, but others may be need to be more meticulous especially if they don't have a lot to lose.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• snshine919
    snshine919 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you. And a FYI I am HERE TO LOSE WEIGHT AND BOUNCE IDEAS OFF OTHER PEOPLE. NOT TO GET RUDE COMMENTS ABOUT A DIET PILL AND WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GRASP. NOT EVERYONE HAS AN AMAZING METABOLISM AND STAYS SKINNY. If I really wanted to lose weight incorrectly I wouldn't be asking all the questions I have, So if I continue to see offensive comments I will flag you. THIS IS A FORUM, NOT A BASHING SESSION.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    snshine919 wrote: »
    Thank you. And a FYI I am HERE TO LOSE WEIGHT AND BOUNCE IDEAS OFF OTHER PEOPLE. NOT TO GET RUDE COMMENTS ABOUT A DIET PILL AND WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GRASP. NOT EVERYONE HAS AN AMAZING METABOLISM AND STAYS SKINNY. If I really wanted to lose weight incorrectly I wouldn't be asking all the questions I have, So if I continue to see offensive comments I will flag you. THIS IS A FORUM, NOT A BASHING SESSION.
    I looked through the thread and saw no mention of any diet pills?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • lestergolf
    lestergolf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 68 years old, 5 ft 3 and weigh 160. I work out 5 days a week where should calories be for my baseline?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    1900 hundred to maintain.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • snshine919
    Options
    @ninerbuff Page 1 about a "pill"
  • forest_crone
    forest_crone Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 43 years young and this is how I do things: I first calculate calories based on a sedentary lifestyle. I want to be able to add the exercise calories I burn later, instead of going off the calculator's estimate. This is the calculator I use: https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

It tells you how many calories you need to lose weight or maintain weight, depending on preference. Your exercise calories should be in your control, I think. That's just what works for me!
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @snshine919 I don't think that post was accusing you of wanting a pill. It was a reply to another comment, in which the user specifically said she was NOT referring to you. She was giving a general comment on calories in/calories out.

Try not to take general comments so personally. You've seen all the advertisements for shakes, pills, meal plans, etc. Probably seen them your whole life, I have. There's a reason there's such a massive market for diet everything. Because many, many people hope for that magic pill or potion. It doesn't mean that's what you're hoping for, and it doesn't mean others are accusing you of that. It's a fact of life - losing weight is not easy and everyone is trying to find what works for them.

Back to your original post - how long have you been on your workout plan and calorie regiment? Are you at least maintaining your weight as opposed to gaining? If you've stayed the same for about 4 weeks, then I think you've found your maintenance level. :smile: From there, you can reduce a bit at a time to see what it takes to get the scale moving while still keeping your energy up.
  • jefforymcdaniel
    jefforymcdaniel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There's lots of great responses here. I would add, I read for women (generally) 1200 calories are a minimum for basic bodily function (1500 for men) and too few calories can actually work against your weight loss goals - not to mention mess with organ function. So be careful to listen to your body. I know, as a man, I was at 1500 cals and not able to lose much... I bumped it up to 1600-1800 and dropped weight faster.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    snshine919 wrote: »

I understand you may have felt it was directed at you. It was not. Someone asked why people don't seem to grasp calories in/calories out. I was answering that. I don't consider taking a pill that helps you reduce calories in or increase calories out to be a problem, nor do I shame anyone for that. I was referring to people who are constantly looking for a magical answer that doesn't exist.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    For some that may work, but others may be need to be more meticulous especially if they don't have a lot to lose.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree. I have a lot to lose, so I think it’s easier right now than it will be in the future. I know I’m going to probably reach a point where I have to really buckle down. It scares me, but I’ll do what has to be done. This is a lifelong commitment to me.
  • snshine919
    Options
    @forest_crone thank you for that web page, I used it and it shows some insight. I fall between the 1-2lb weight loss weekly. But the more agressive like 2lbs a week is what I am aiming for. Thank you!
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just a thought... are you eating your exercise calories? If so, remember... MFP and most sites over compensate your exercise with extra calories you "can eat"... but if I do that, I gain or maintain. 1900 calories a day seems awfully high, but let us know what your dietician says. I'm interested.
  • kdejan
    kdejan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It seems you might not yet be in a caloric deficit, which is necessary for weight loss. A tip: set your activity level as "Not very active" unless your job involves heavy physical activity. This prevents MFP from overestimating your caloric intake.

I've personally struggled with weight loss and found that increasing protein intake helped. Fitness guidelines often recommend around 1g of protein per pound of body weight for weightlifters, but I've found it works for anyone exercising and looking to build muscle. Fat intake should range from 0.3-0.5g per pound, with the remaining calories from carbs.

By increasing my daily protein intake to 180g, I focused more on lean proteins and fresh vegetables, reducing my hunger and helping me stay within my calorie limit.

So, try upping your protein intake, aim for at least 0.8g per pound of body weight. You can also adjust your macro goals in MyFitnessPal under "Goals" -> "Nutrition Goals" -> "Calories, Carbs, Protein and Fat Goal". If you're feeling hungry or not seeing results, a higher protein goal may help.
  • Nephelys
    Nephelys Posts: 27 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    poisonesse wrote: »
    Just a thought... are you eating your exercise calories? If so, remember... MFP and most sites over compensate your exercise with extra calories you "can eat"... but if I do that, I gain or maintain. 1900 calories a day seems awfully high, but let us know what your dietician says. I'm interested.

Yeah, I've kind of stopped using calculator, they tend to really overestimate the numbers. And the results vary so much from one website to another.
    Especially since, unless you have a job that requires physical strength, it's better to set not very active, otherwise the numbers get too big.
    The same goes for exercise, which you shouldn't count if you want to lose weight. Not to mention that most generally just ask how many times one workout per week, it take neither duration nor intensity into account. But a 20mins yoga or pilates "workout" will clearly not have the same calorie burn as 1hour of intense cardio or 1hour30 of heavy weight training.

1900 seems extremely high. By inputting the OP's height, sex, age, weight without entering workouts, the calculator mentioned above gives me 1.635kcal for 1lb/week and 1.135kcal for 2lb/week, which already seems more "coherent".
    And I said I didn't use them anymore, but regardless, this one is probably the most accurate and precise I've found: https://www.precisionnutrition.com/weight-loss-calculator/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!