Delayed periods

Options
Before starting my Gym routine my periods were always 20th of the month or a day each side.
But the past 2 months they have become later and later. Last month was 25th and this month it still hasn't shown.
Is this a common problem? I'm worried I'm starting early menopause at age 37

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    Options
    You mention going to the gym, but did you also change your diet? Are you eating enough?

And how is your weight/ bodyfat percentage? Being very lean can also disturb the menstrual cycle.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors and possible explanations.
    Besides the important questions above about your current weight/body fat and calorie intake...

-You say you still haven't had your period this month...any chance you are pregnant?
    -Extreme stress or illness can cause disruptions in your menestral cycle.
    -It is possible you are experiencing some peri menopause symptoms, although you are on the younger side.
    -Bodies are weird and sometimes there's no explanation for these things.

If your cycle continues to be inconsistent, it might be worth seeing your doctor/gynecologist.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    For me, when I was under a lot of stress or exercising really hard (long distance hiking) I used to skip periods regularly. It never really bothered me, since it was easier to not have to deal with that and I had no desire to have children. Since then, I have read that it is a good idea to talk to a gynecologist if it happens more than once.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    mlkung1985 wrote: »
    Before starting my Gym routine my periods were always 20th of the month or a day each side.
    But the past 2 months they have become later and later. Last month was 25th and this month it still hasn't shown.
    Is this a common problem? I'm worried I'm starting early menopause at age 37

Over my decades of menstruation, my cycles have varied widely.

At your exact age of 37, I was a full time yoga teacher and also worked out a few times per week. As I ramped up my exercise, my periods did get more erratic. At least once, and possibly twice, I went 3 months in between periods. I didn't consider this amount of exercise excessive, my perhaps my uterus did. :lol:

I did not enter menopause for another 19 years - but this was due to a hysterectomy for complications from uterine fibroids.

If you like, have the FSH test done:

https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/follicle-stimulating-hormone-fsh-levels-test/

"...In women, these tests are most often used to:

...Confirm the start of menopause, or perimenopause."

Note: "If you are a woman who has not gone through menopause, your provider may want to schedule your test at a specific time during your menstrual cycle." - this article does not emphasize it, but it is important to be consistent about the day of your cycle you have the test done. I mostly see day 1-2, but have also seen day 3. Your levels go up and down over the course of your cycle, so it's important to be consistent about when you test.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Ps - if you're done having children, and you are married/partnered to a man, and don't want to worry about pregnancy, have him consider having a vasectomy.