I Hate My Image

Options
I have a huge trip coming up in a couple months with my husband’s side of the family. The problem is, they are extremely outdoorsy and well toned. My husband just had to marry someone who would rather curl up in a blanket, reading a book, than go for a ten mile hike. And I have the weight to go with it. I don’t want to be fat in the family photos when we do go out. I am 156 and I am trying to get close to 120lbs. I am constantly starving myself, doing HIIT workouts, drinking a ton of water everyday…and the weight wants to stay. I guess if I’d get more than 4-5 hours of sleep a night it might help, but any advice?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean 156cm? That gives you a totally perfect BMI of 22. Don't worry about your weight. You're fine.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,619 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I assume you mean 156cm? That gives you a totally perfect BMI of 22. Don't worry about your weight. You're fine.

I think they mean they are currently 156 lbs., trying to get down to 120?

In which case....not knowing how tall you are, I don't know if it's appropriate or not. But, in 2 months, you could realistically lose 8 pounds if you really work at it. But, I personally wouldn't worry about what his family may think. He married you, not his family.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

I think they mean they are currently 156 lbs., trying to get down to 120?

In which case....not knowing how tall you are, I don't know if it's appropriate or not. But, in 2 months, you could realistically lose 8 pounds if you really work at it. But, I personally wouldn't worry about what his family may think. He married you, not his family.

Oh yes, now it makes more sense. Should not answer questions after getting up. TO, can you give us more info? Unless you're very petite 156lbs is not that heavy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I have a huge trip coming up in a couple months with my husband’s side of the family. The problem is, they are extremely outdoorsy and well toned. My husband just had to marry someone who would rather curl up in a blanket, reading a book, than go for a ten mile hike. And I have the weight to go with it. I don’t want to be fat in the family photos when we do go out. I am 156 and I am trying to get close to 120lbs. I am constantly starving myself, doing HIIT workouts, drinking a ton of water everyday…and the weight wants to stay. I guess if I’d get more than 4-5 hours of sleep a night it might help, but any advice?
    Join a gym and get a trainer. You WON'T lose 36lbs in 2 months, but you may lose 10lbs if you do it right. Can't tell you how many times I cross people who try to do it on their own and don't do great, then get a trainer and they can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Don’t be so harsh on yourself. We are our own hardest critics.

There’s no law that says you have to enjoy what the in-laws enjoy. Your husband thought enough of you and whatever you do to refrain from getting a clone-wife. Heck. Secretly, I bet most of em don’t enjoy it anyway and are doing it to please someone else in the family anyway.

Our daughter married the neighbors’ son, and we have a real window into this kind of behavior. MIL finally out her foot down after forty years and refuses to vacation with her husband. She’s “over” the stuff he needs to do to prove his youth, lol. Same reason we’ve turned down multiple shared vacation suggestions, even to keep the peace. (Parents, don’t let your kids marry the neighbor,lol! Neighbor-in-Law relationships are just weird!!!)

If you want to read, read. Shop? Shop. Ask if anyone would like to keep you company, that you’ll put the teapot on.

As far as “image”, think about it. What is an “image”? It’s the face you present to the world,and likely not even the real you. Do you really want to invest anxiety in a mask to please others? Energy is finite. Don’t waste it on hating yourself, or your “image” by proxy.

Just be you, baby!!!!