Salad Dressing

Options
jbeauchamp1
jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
Does anyone have a low sodium salad dressing recipe they can recommend? I have been looking at ones in the grocery store and I can't seem to find anything under 230 grams per serving even in the light stuff and that is just too high I think. I am thinking Olive Oil & Vinegar blend might be but not sure of how to make it (equal parts of each/add seasonings, etc?). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• bootbuilder
    Options
    I use Wishbone Salad Spritzers - 10 pumps = 10 calories, 130mg of sodium.

We also use Greek yogurt and salsa - very good and can be used on tacos, burritos, fish, potatoes as well.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing is the easiest thing to make....

Traditionally the oil to acid ratio is 3 to 1 but I prefer an equal mix or even less on the oil these days...

So oil (extra virgin olive oil I use)

Acid: Vinegars (balsamic, I love white balsamic, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, there is also champagne and sherry. I also add either a dash of like or lemon.

Sweet: To take the edge of the acid you can add a touch of sugar, ordinary white sugar will do but you can also use honey, apple juice, maple syrup. I sometimes even pop marmalade or stawberry jam in.

Salt... a pinch to taste

Aromatics: fresh herbs, shallots, ctrus rind, black pepper, garlic... I love dried orgeno and a dash of mustard dijion or wholegrain... the mustard also helps everything to combine well.

Put it all together in a jar and shake. store unused dressing in fridge.

Your options are endless.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Options
    Hi there,

It's hard to go wrong with making your own salad dressing - just add oil, sour stuff (like vinegar, lemon or lime juice), seasonings (like garlic and/or herbs i.e. thyme, oregano etc) to taste. About half in half with oil and sour stuff. You can find recipes in books or online and tweak them to reduce the sodium and make them taste good to you.

I just splash a bit of balsamic vinegar on my salad and spritz it a few times with a pump spray bottle of olive oil. Even just a bit of fresh lemon or lime juice squeezed over your salad or vegetables can add a bit of flavour with low calories and sodium.

Cheers,
    EJ
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i love red wine vinegar so i use about 3 tablespoons of a gourmet red wine vinegar and i have this Phillipo Berio Salad and Veggie Olive Oil Spray. I use about 5-6 sprays of that and i am good to go! I also like balsamic vinegar but would use way less of that as it is much stronger. maybe about 1 tablespoon to start.
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the ideas! I will give them a try this week.