New here! Want to lose 120lbs. Any suggestions?

Options
Hey. Im new and am looking for some suggestions and advice for weight loss. Also a motivator :)

Replies

• shannon_stallone
    Options
    Hi welcome to the best site ever!! It's a great motivator and there are so many amazing people that can help you along the way....My best advice with first starting out coming from my personal experiences are increase your water intake, start an exercise plan((find things you like do...taking walks, yoga, exercise bike...whatever seems most fun to you)) and go through all your cabinets and refrigerator...Get rid of everything that might tempt you....I am a snacker, so I try keeping a lot of fruits and veggies always stocked with some hummus to dip my veggies in...
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello and Welcome to MFP!!
    Shannon is right about everything she told you. Remember too, that you are losing One Pound At A Time. Try not to get too overwhelmed by the big numbers.
  • batesss
    Options
    Set smart and achievable goals for yourself. For example saying 120 pounds all at once sounds scary and unachievable, instead start with 5% or 10% of your current weight right now. Or a weekly goal, like "this week I will cut out ___ and have 5 servings of vegetables every day and next week i will watch my sodium intake and eat 3 servings of fruits every day" and eventually they will snowball into 110% healthy and liveable food choices.

Put everything into serving size bags (as per dictated serving sizes on labels) and mark how many calories are in each bag in sharpie so that when you eat on the go, or just want a snack you have only a serving size available and you know how many calories you are spending.

WATER WATER WATER. cut out all other things if you can (i try to limit to one coffee per day and the rest water)

Exercise. Whatever you can, even if it is just a 15 minute walk three times a week, before you know it you will be able to do more.
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    Think of food as fuel now.....Imagine your body as a machine....French fries and chocolate cake won't fuel your body, but a chicken breast, some brown rice and veggies might :)....Its just making the slight changes in your every day life I think :)
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The three most important things for me:

1. Write everything down. Everything.

2. Start your day knowing what you're going to eat that day. Making healthy decisions on the fly is very hard.

3. Remember that every decision is just as important as the one before it. Make a bad decision? Just make a good one next. You're still ahead of where you were before.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Look around, stay a while. Go easy on yourself. It took a long time to gain that much weight. It will take a while to get it off. The process works. Make friends. Learn. Have fun! We are a good bunch. Read the success stories. Lots of folks here have lost that much or more. You can do it!
  • adagley
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I already like this a lot. Everyones so nice! You all have Great advice! Hope to keep in touch. Friend request me :)