Cal in vs Cal out

Options
13»

Replies

• bondct
    bondct Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi... you work out like I do... 5-7 x a week... This doesnt pertain directly to cal in vs out... but my suggestion is not to worry about weight (stick with me here)... figure out what size clothing you want to be in... so for example... my goal is (which I hit and am in maintenance) size 31 pants...

so if size 31 (comfortably) is 155lbs or 175 lbs makes no difference to me...

When I can't fit into 31 I eat less until I can... if 31 gets too lose I eat more,,, obviously you have to watch nutrition values of what you eat... this measurement system takes a lot of pressure off goals... to eat less just eat low calorie nutritionally dense foods (all the things we dont like lol)... hope this helped
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    (snip)

So, try upping your protein intake, aim for at least 0.8g per pound of body weight.
    (snip)

I agree with the general point that increasing protein can be helpful, for various reasons.

But someone who's severely overweight may benefit from basing protein-needs calculations on healthy goal weight, rather than on current weight.

We don't need bunches of extra protein to maintain our fat mass: Its main purpose is maintaining lean tissue. Basing the protein goal on lean body mass (LBM) - using a higher factor - would be a good thing, but most people don't have a reasonable estimate of LBM to work with. Using healthy goal weight (or the middle of the BMI range for their height) should be adequate, with the 0.8 factor.

We do see very overweight people here who are pretty petite who think they need 200g of protein at 5'1" or something like that based on 0.8-1g per pound . . . that's possibly going to be an unreasonable fraction of their calorie goal, and it really isn't necessary.
  • sibilantstorm
    sibilantstorm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm older -- in my 60s -- but 1900 kcal would cause weight-gain for me. If you're working out consistently for 30+ minutes a day at medium or higher intensity and you're not losing weight on your current intake, then you won't be able to 'exercise' the difference away. You'll need to reduce your calorie intake. It took me 40 years to accept that fact, and it wasn't until I started weighing, measuring, and counting all the food and drink I was taking in that I finally started realizing that I was going to have to reduce my calorie intake. Our bodies do not want to lose weight. The body fights it -- especially for those who have gone through puberty in a female body. Our internal thermostat is set to hold on to every precious ounce, and to panic as soon as we start to lose weight, so exercising is critical to keep your metabolism from slowing down to try to make up for the reduction in calories, but reducing calories if you're not losing is important. I would drop your calories by about 500 kcal/day each week until you are losing about 1 lb to 1.5 lbs a week -- stay there, continue with your activities. If you need to lose weight faster than that (and for most people, 2-2.5 lb a week is the maximum you should be trying to lose at a time so you don't damage your body's balance and cause stress to your cardiovascular system and lose vital muscle mass), you may need to reduce by 500 kcal/day each week until you get to 2-2.5 lbs a week. For me, that level is 1200 kcal, but I have over 100 lbs left to lose (I've lost almost 200 already), and that keeps me at about the 2 lb per week loss rate.

It's a challenge. Losing weight is a long term commitment, and when you reach your target weight, you have to add calories back in for maintenance the same way you took them out -- adding 500 kcal/day each week until your body starts to gain. As soon as you see that first unanticipated 2 lb gain, scale back by 500 kcal/day and keep monitoring, but that's probably your maintenance intake.
  • rtlenton
    rtlenton Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think it should also be noted that how you are getting your calories is very important, i.e. are you eating a lot of greens and fruits, or do most of your 1900 calories come from animal protein, sugar drinks, etc.?
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    snshine919 wrote: »
    FYI I am HERE TO LOSE WEIGHT AND BOUNCE IDEAS OFF OTHER PEOPLE. NOT TO GET RUDE COMMENTS ABOUT A DIET PILL AND WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GRAS P..
    I hear you @snshine919, I am trying my best to be more healthy and fit, and I like to try and encourage others here if I can. Most of us are here facing a bunch of real life and complex lives, and know that better fitness and health makes everything a bit better.

But on this free public web forum there are people coming from all kinds of different perspectives and motivations.

Good luck, take from this what you can, reach out if you have any questions, and I hope to see you around as you start having a bunch of success.
  • JimiSellars
    JimiSellars Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    While calories are the same there is a problem with that. 1000 calories of rich cookies and 1000 of broccoli are much different amounts in volume so it's easy to overeat the high-calorie foods.
  • jaded989
    jaded989 Posts: 166 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    1900 hundred to maintain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

LOL, I'm 66 5'4 and if I consumed 1900 a day I'd be right back where I started, yes 1900 a day would cause weight gain for me and I do get some excerise daily.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!