Vegan cheese?

Options
What is the best Vegan cheese that you like.. and where can I buy it? The only cheese I eat -- I've been using Sargento low sodium pepperjack cheese lately or Sargento's light string cheese as a snack. But I recently just found out about Vegan cheese.. I know, I must be late.. but it seems like it'd be great to try & healthy!

Replies

• Daiya cheese is the best!
    You can find it in some chain stores in the natural food section. Find it at Whole Foods, or your local health food store.
  • fitmissbliss
    fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am certainly not vegan...but, I try to limit my intake of dairy. I have taken to making my own cheese-out of nuts! Its soooo yummy and much more natural than processed "veggie" cheeses. You can google lots of recipes...but, basically, soak some cashews for 3+ hours, drain, add some probiotics and blend, plus desired spices. Strain overnight in a cheesecloth. You can crumble it, slice it...whatever! I LOVE cashew cheese...but, a lot of people really enjoy macadamia nut cheese as well. Best of luck!
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am certainly not vegan...but, I try to limit my intake of dairy. I have taken to making my own cheese-out of nuts! Its soooo yummy and much more natural than processed "veggie" cheeses. You can google lots of recipes...but, basically, soak some cashews for 3+ hours, drain, add some probiotics and blend, plus desired spices. Strain overnight in a cheesecloth. You can crumble it, slice it...whatever! I LOVE cashew cheese...but, a lot of people really enjoy macadamia nut cheese as well. Best of luck!

I like this option.

Pimiento cheese sauce:
    1 cup cashews
    1/2 cup water (add slowly to get right consistency)
    4 oz. jar pimientos
    2 tsp. lemon juice
    2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp chopped onion
    1 clove raw garlic
    2-4 tsp nutritional yeast flakes (NOT baker's yeast)

blend until smooth.
  • allsewnup13
    Options
    It's been quite a while since I've had them but tofutti slices were always a favorite. They actually melt!