Can I calculate my own exercise calories

Options
Rather than having The app calculate my exercise calculate my exercise calories can I delete that and calculate my own. I know mine is more accurate.

Thanks.

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Sure. Enter whatever you want.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    You can create your own exercise. After you hit "add exercise" in your diary, click on "create". And I agree, you can probably make a more accurate exercise calorie estimate.
  • JimiSellars
    JimiSellars Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The app is doing it from my iPhone and sometimes it is really close to me doing it manually but sometimes it's way off. It is all from walking so you think it would be more reliable.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,777 Member
    Options
    Either way it’ll never be that accurate just try to be as precise as possible.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. I found the MFP exercise calories were an over-estimate for me, personally. I ended up just increasing my calories by an average amount and not logging exercise and that worked better for me.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can! I have custom exercise entries that I'm fairly confident of. I can add a duration and get a result I'm happy with while having the right duration in my diary.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I always modify the calories mfp gives me for my stationary biking as it is much higher than those my watch and the bike give me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,584 Member
    Options
    Rather than having The app calculate my exercise calculate my exercise calories can I delete that and calculate my own. I know mine is more accurate.

Thanks.

Do you have a tracker synched to MFP, or are you adding exercise from the exercise database manually?

Are your own more accurate calorie estimates lower or higher than one of those (which one)? Where are you getting those estimates (exercise machine, fitness tracker, METS tables . . . ?).

Depending on the answers, you might or might not be better off estimating your own exercise calories, IMO. It can be wrong, but as a generality, if your estimates are higher than the calorie adjustments from a synched tracker or than the MFP database estimates, I'd be skeptical that they're more accurate.

But you can, regardless.
  • JimiSellars
    JimiSellars Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I walk or hike 6 to 9 miles a day. I used to be an ultra runner and triathlete but now only walk. I know how to calculate calories burned using distance, time, etc.