How can you get your child to exercise? WILLINGLY

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
Unsurprisingly with the advent of phone technology, less and less kids are interested in physical fitness. And it's not uncommon that kids that are inactive become adults that are inactive. And of course many on here know that physical inactivity is one of the main reasons for weight gain along with overconsumption of calories.
So how can you get your child to exercise? Well, it's BEST if kids have an example from you the parent. If you show no desire to work on your physical fitness, it's easily justified for them to not do it either. So being the example is the strongest way IMO.
Other ways are to experiment with them on what they may like to do. Some it's sports, others it's dance, and some like me is gym time. There are so many options out there for kids to try. I had a client who couldn't get his kid to do anything until I asked how it is at school for him. After telling that he got bullied at school a lot by bigger boys, I mentioned Jui Jitzu. She got him enrolled and he LOVED it because it allowed him to feel confident to defending himself. From the last time I talked to her, he's been doing it now for 8 years and is wanting to become an instructor.
Only you know your kid. So you have the best insight on what may work for them. But do your best to get them involved in physical activity because literally today, their own future life will depend on it given the rising rate of overweight and obese people.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In addition to screen time there are more and more gadgets (electric skateboards & scooters etc) that may be fun for the kids but promote even less energy expenditure.

I was lucky in that both my kids were competitive soccer players (their choice) and came out running with me occasionally (again, their choice) right up until they went to college. Now that they're grown up and moved out I miss running with them but they're both still active as adults.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    In addition to screen time there are more and more gadgets (electric skateboards & scooters etc) that may be fun for the kids but promote even less energy expenditure.

I was lucky in that both my kids were competitive soccer players (their choice) and came out running with me occasionally (again, their choice) right up until they went to college. Now that they're grown up and moved out I miss running with them but they're both still active as adults.
    Yeah, I never get the deal of buying a bike, but having it electric so you don't have to pedal. Just buy a frikkin scooter if that's the case.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    sports are the answer in our household. My 12 yo likes basketball mostly, so he has to stay in shape to play on his year round club team.

He's also playing football in middle school this year, so I warned him that's a whole new can of worms for being in shape.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,930 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Yeah, I never get the deal of buying a bike, but having it electric so you don't have to pedal. Just buy a frikkin scooter if that's the case.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm 73, thinking about getting an electric bike. Thoughts?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Why do you want an e-bike? If you want a bike for exercise why add a motor to it? If you are using it for your main mode of transportation might be able to justify.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You do have to pedal on an e-bike so there's still an exercise benefit to having one. I have spinal arthritis and getting an e-bike helped me start cycling halfway to and from work, something I would struggle with otherwise. It also let's me get out of the car for short journeys as I can use the bike instead, especially as there are lots of hills near me. Sure it's not the Tour de France but it's better than the alternative of driving everywhere and getting no exercise while doing so.

Anyway I appreciate this has gone very off topic from the original post but just wanted to give you some feedback as I don't think it's fair to say you get no exercise on an e-bike or to speak negatively about them.
  • FeFiFo123
    FeFiFo123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    "WILLINGLY"... If it's willingly, it's either of their own interest or else it's forced which will be short lived.

My daughter runs with me and lifts weights on her own time and schedule. It wasn't always that way but eventually she found her own interest to do so.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    No ebike, no cell phone 24\7 usage. Sign em up for an organized sport of their choice and no "But I don't wanna play sports" answer. There are also non organized things like surfing, skateboarding, etc. Non active parents usually turn out non active kids so look at your own lifestyle and see what kind of example you set. Unless you have a health handicap there is no excuse.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    My son grew up wanting to be Army, knew I was former military (USAF) and how often I hit the gym, he wanted to emulate me. (Fortunately he never knew the lazy, overweight me from before he was born.)

My daughter leaves in three weeks for Navy basic training. Her weight is good, but she's spent her life reading, not moving, so she's going to be in for a world of eye-opening hurt. At least she took a liking to swimming in her high school gym class.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I make my kids play dodgeball. By that, I mean that I throw balls at them.

Exercise or get pegged by a ball.

Excellent motivation IMO.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This might be a case where it's much more valid especially if you have to deal with grades in streets.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You do have to pedal on an e-bike so there's still an exercise benefit to having one. I have spinal arthritis and getting an e-bike helped me start cycling halfway to and from work, something I would struggle with otherwise. It also let's me get out of the car for short journeys as I can use the bike instead, especially as there are lots of hills near me. Sure it's not the Tour de France but it's better than the alternative of driving everywhere and getting no exercise while doing so.

Anyway I appreciate this has gone very off topic from the original post but just wanted to give you some feedback as I don't think it's fair to say you get no exercise on an e-bike or to speak negatively about them.
    There are cases, like the one I mentioned above where they are valid. But if I see a teen at my gym who can lift weights and move perfectly fine and then go out and get on an ebike and not even pedal, then I fail to see the purpose of actually having it. Could he be pedaling at other times? Maybe, but I believe it's so much easier to run the motor than to actually have to physically pedal if transportation is just the purpose. And ebikes cost just as much as many electric or gas powered scooters, so I don't think it's a cost issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    FeFiFo123 wrote: »
    "WILLINGLY"... If it's willingly, it's either of their own interest or else it's forced which will be short lived.

My daughter runs with me and lifts weights on her own time and schedule. It wasn't always that way but eventually she found her own interest to do so.
    Yep. I used to teach dryland training at a swim facility and when I asked many of the teens there who actually enjoy swim team, only 1/4 raised their hands. When I asked those that didn't, main answer was that their parents make them do it. And consequently, they are the same ones who don't care if they have great form or the effort in exercise was great.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Why do you want an e-bike? If you want a bike for exercise why add a motor to it? If you are using it for your main mode of transportation might be able to justify.

Yes for older people an ebike is a good idea. You can pedal as much or as little as you want. It can be the difference of either getting out and riding or not.