good running dog?

Options
Hey everyone,

I've been here for almost 11 days now and I lost 18 Ib thank god :)

I'm trying to get in shape again and what's better to do that than running !!!

I've an english bulldog puppy but everyone knows how lazy they are so I was thinking of getting either a Rottweiler or Doberman

any suggestion will help thank you so much in advance ....

1317014629491.jpg

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    My boxer loves to go out running with me!!

And gimme your puppy. I want!! :)))))
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Get a bully pitbull, you'll get a great workout just trying to prevent it from dragging you.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Labs are great runners and very "people friendly" They tend to have "puppy energy" for a good 3-4 years before they settle down. Consider adopting from your local animal control. You'll get lots of running in with a dog!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Just personal preference, I'd go with a dobe but either would be fine. I currently run with a corgi. I feel bad for his stubby little legs but he keeps up pretty good!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It depends on your speed, distance, and climate. Most bird dogs are good, sled dogs, herding breeds, and some non-sporting breeds. I've run many miles with Dobies with no issues, Rotties may be too big for longer or faster runs, but could probably do fine at an easy gate.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a Labrador and she keeps up with me. She will also walk for hours! I would say a Rotty would be stronger, and the doberman would be more nimble so faster
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Sheperds are good runners. Why do you think they are used as police dogs so often?
    We had a Siberian Husky & clocked him at 60mph one time. They are bred for pulling sleighs, so they have the umph to go for miles.
    WARNING: both of these breeds of dogs will NOT come back if they get loose. So hold onto the leash tight!!!
  • big_daddy_d
    Options
    @ Sunshine_88

thanks, and no I can't give you my puppy ( My girlfriend will kill me ) ... but when I breed it, I will give you one of his puppies for free :)
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It depends on your speed, distance, and climate. Most bird dogs are good, sled dogs, herding breeds, and some non-sporting breeds. I've run many miles with Dobies with no issues, Rotties may be too big for longer or faster runs, but could probably do fine at an easy gate.

This is true about Rottweilers. My girl will walk/jog to the end of the earth with you, but if my brother tries to run she tires out very quick.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    I have german shepherds and a lab shepherd mix they all love to run. I have to take turns I have four dogs.
  • big_daddy_d
    Options
    @ fpacudan

man I had a blue nose pit the are great but I'm thinking of a bigger breed ...

thanks though and sorry if we got in the wrong foot in my previews post ...
  • srvivr_2001
    Options
    lots of choices! I think it partly depends on your height and pace. I'm only 5'1'', so I used to run with a beagle. "working" and "sporting" breeds are obviously great, but be sure to get any dog you plan to run with checked out by a vet for hip and/or knee problems that can be hereditary in a lot of those breeds. And be sure to take your bulldog on regular walks has well to keep him at a healthy weight. Even if you can only get him to go around the block, its better than him sitting at home all day long.

Your English Bulldog may surprise you. We dog sat a friend's French Bulldog for a month. They told us she didn't like walks, but when we took her out with the neighbor's lab we walk/run, she kept up for the full 2 mile walk every day. Poor think started losing weight so we had to buy more food and feed her more often!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Dude don't effing breed you dog. There are too many homeless animals and breeding does not help at all. Get off your *kitten* and make money some other way. Fix your pets, adopt your future running dog and get a clue!

PEACE!!!
  • big_daddy_d
    Options
    thanks guys :)

Now I'm considering getting a Rottweiler because I'm a heavy person so let see I might change my mind
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Greyhounds obviously, but Ive had good experience with german sheppard mixes loving to run
  • big_daddy_d
    Options
    @ puggleperson

thanks I guess,

let me explain something to you I come from a rich family so I don't need to make money by breeding dogs and the only reason I'm gonna breed my english bulldog in a year because there are some nice people who is really dyeing to get one but they can't offered it ...

However I feel what u are saying :)
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    A husky will insist on running. They are good motivation.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I have a lab/shepard mix puppy only 4 months old that I got mainly to go on long walks with me and he is great. Lots of energy that is for sure and doesnt tire out quickly . But will take a long nap when we get back home, which is good because by then i am ready to rest too.........Whatever you decide to get I hope you enjoy it :smile:
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    thanks guys :)

Now I'm considering getting a Rottweiler because I'm a heavy person so let see I might change my mind

As long as you're not running too fast, a rottweiler will be great. I love mine and wouldn't trade her for any other dog in the world. They are smart, loyal, & very protective. You'll not regret your decision. Try to adopt if you can find one that's in your area. If you must buy, do research and go to a reputable breeder.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have a bully too that is going to be breeding shortly. I hope your dog is fully genetically tested! It would be terribly irresponsible if it wasn't.

In any case, depending on your home situation, huskies and malamutes are GREAT running/biking dogs. Vizslas, shepherds and gundogs aren't bad either.

I fear that Rottweiler might be TOO big and heavy for a running dog, where their joints would be negatively affected eventually. Perhaps a leaner dog would be a more sensible option.