Sorry me again

Options
Just a quick question
My weight now: 11 stone 11
My goal weight: 10 stone 5
MFP: 1390 calories a day

Now in the nutrients it says I’ve had 120g of 225g of carbs today

Do you need to keep this between 50g-150g of carbs to lose weight or am I allowed that amount of carbs?

I’m confused…I can share my thing if anyone wants to look but I don’t know how you do it xx

Thank you :D

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    While you're just beginning this journey I would suggest keeping it as simple as possible and just focus on your calories. Worry about the rest down the road. Good luck!
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    While you're just beginning this journey I would suggest keeping it as simple as possible and just focus on your calories. Worry about the rest down the road. Good luck!

Thank u sue :D xx
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Lildarlinz wrote: »
    Just a quick question

Do you need to keep this between 50g-150g of carbs to lose weight or am I allowed that amount of carbs?

I’m confused…I can share my thing if anyone wants to look but I don’t know how you do it xx

To lose weight it doesn’t matter how many of your calories comes from carbs, fat or protein. It’s not recommended but you could lose weight by eating just Mars Bars or toast and butter.

For health, you need to eat enough protein and get some fats in; a lot of people concentrate on hitting their protein goal then let their fats or carbs fit the rest of the calories. Once you’ve settled into your eating pattern a bit more, you’ll start to work out what fills you up and what you like to eat. For instance, I’m a carbaholic and could easily go low fat, whereas my husband would prefer high fat low carb. So stick to your calories, measure all your food on a food scale and experiment to see what fills you up and what you enjoy 👍
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question

Like others said, it's not carbs that are important for weight loss, but calories.

That said, macros can be important for satiety. For example, I don't find amaretto calories filling at all, despite how yummy they are :wink:

People who find fat filling and do keto might eat @ 5% carbs, while plant-based volume eaters could eat 70% plus carbs.

BTW, this is how you can set your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    At 1,390 calories a day 225 g of carbs is possibly too high. How much protein are you getting?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,698 Member
    Options
    Good catch re 900/1390Cal but it may be a higher number because her caloric goal increased during the day due to logged exercise or activity.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    As the others have said: it doesn't matter. However, if you feel hungry then have a look at your diary and consider what you could change. Say you drink a lot of your calories. Could you drink something else and eat more food that keeps you full? If you eat white bread would maybe a wholegrain bread keep you full longer? Jam on bread? What about chicken breast for a bit more protein?
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    At 1,390 calories a day 225 g of carbs is possibly too high. How much protein are you getting?

Hey Tom…yesterday was my first day scanning again after a while…it’s hard to get protein at work as I’m a hca in a hospital…we don’t have facilities much to get proteins…but I’m off to the shops today to get some lean meats to prep for my lunch :D
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I keep a stash of protein bars/various protein snacks at my desk if I'm super busy at work
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hey Tom…yesterday was my first day scanning again after a while…it’s hard to get protein at work as I’m a hca in a hospital…we don’t have facilities much to get proteins…but I’m off to the shops today to get some lean meats to prep for my lunch :D

I'm all for bringing your own lunch, for several reasons, but am confused because every hospital cafeteria I've ever seen had decent options for animal protein in the cafeteria. Unless you are referring to vending machines? Right, I wouldn't try to get protein from them. Or vegetables. If this is the case, no wonder your carbs are so high. I find carbs from rice, beans, vegetables and fruit very filling, but not from foods available from vending machines, which lack bulk and usually fiber.

ETA: ok, I just saw in your other thread that you had "jacket potato with veggies for lunch" so I guess you do have access to a cafeteria. Because you use stones for weight, I'm going to assume you're in the UK? I have no experience with UK hospital cafeterias. Yes, if they don't have good protein options, do bring your own.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm all for bringing your own lunch, for several reasons, but am confused because every hospital cafeteria I've ever seen had decent options for animal protein in the cafeteria. Unless you are referring to vending machines? Right, I wouldn't try to get protein from them. Or vegetables. If this is the case, no wonder your carbs are so high. I find carbs from rice, beans, vegetables and fruit very filling, but not from foods available from vending machines, which lack bulk and usually fiber.

ETA: ok, I just saw in your other thread that you had "jacket potato with veggies for lunch" so I guess you do have access to a cafeteria. Because you use stones for weight, I'm going to assume you're in the UK? I have no experience with UK hospital cafeterias. Yes, if they don't have good protein options, do bring your own.

Hiiii :)
    Most of the things at our cafeterias are like chips,battered fish and beans, jacket potatoes,veggies so I have decided to bring my own now as it’s way cheaper aswell :)

£5.30 I pay for a jacket potato and veggies with gravy for one day

I’m feeling a lot better today though scanning everything… :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,698 Member
    Options
    Scanning is approximate. But I guess it gives you an idea as to what you may be consuming

Jacket potato is not a terrible thing. Potatoes are filling. The toppings may or may not be good caloric bargains.

You could grab a pot of Greek yogurt (or similar higher protein to calories ratio products such as some cheeses) and dump it on top instead of sour cream.

Beans can be nutritious. I guess the cafeteria won't make the fish for you without batter? My local fish and chip place does, but they're more of a restaurant than a cafeteria! Soups? Salads? Ultimately your own food is probably less expensive.

At home I often nuke a bag of veggies and a higher protein tv dinner. If taken out of the freezer in the morning and partially thawed by the time I nuke them I just adjust the time. Many Canadian hospitals seem to have microwaves available for staff and even patient use at their cafeterias...🤷‍♂️
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, to avoid it just being overwhelming --- just focus on calories. The macro split that you have is likely the default one on MFP (you can change them if you like). But I'd suggest waiting to change it.

Eat what you're eating - making sure to meet your suggested calorie goal (if prioritizing anything - make it protein). Also work on paying close attention to your hunger cues and energy levels. You can then use that info along with your food diary to figure out if there is a macro split that is more ideal for you.

Ex: I am a habit person so I often eat many of the same meals. So, on a weekend morning I have two breakfast meals I typically make. They have roughly the same amount of calories but one is higher in carbs/lower in protein....and the other is higher in protein and lower in carbs. The one that's higher protein/lower carb keeps me *feeling fuller for ~2hrs longer I'd say. So it's more satiating to me. The only reason this is important is that if you are eating meals that aren't satiating to you - it can just be associated more with overeating due to feeling hungry more often.