What I gave up- Cold Turkey

Options
lillianmcdonald55
lillianmcdonald55 Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2023 in Motivation and Support
Hi guys! I am totally new to all of this. I have read through so many of your stories and I decided to share what's going on with me at this time. I am 61 years Young about to turn 62 on the 27th of August. Back in December of 2022, I had an acute vertigo attack in which I was hospitalized in critical condition for a week. I couldn't open my eyes because my world was only spinning. I had never heard of this until it happened to me. Unfortunately, it left me deaf, and very unbalanced. When I was released to give home, I only stayed on my couch because I was totally afraid of using the stairs. I only used the stairs to take a shower and even then someone had to be on the outside and I used a bathroom shower seat. Back on the couch daily with no physical activity I ate all day long. My daughter was my caregiver and she would fry me all kinds of food, sometimes I would eat 4 slices of bread at one meal, chips, sodas, candy, cookies, everything that was so weight gaining and unhealthy. No water at all. Before my vertigo attack I weighed 135 lbs. Fast-forward on July 24th I went to see my PCP and my weight was 169lb. I was devastated. Especially when I read on my doctor's note the word obese. I was sent to a Weight Management Doctor on August 2. He did prescribe me some pills and I totally changed my eating habits cold turkey. No more bread, chips, candy, fried foods, sodas, etc. I do my own exercises in the comfort of my home and I only drink water. I just weighed myself before my shower and I weigh 160 lbs. My goal is to be 140 lbs by my birthday on August 27th. I only eat fruits and vegetables periodically throughout the day along with drinking nothing but water. I will come back to let you know whether I succeed or came close to success 🙌 💯. We're all in this together ❤️

Replies

• PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am in total agreement with AnnPT77 above. This is a very unhealthy and dangerous way to lose weight to become healthy, because you will probaby make yourself sick in the end and not become healthy. My first thought was "where's the protein"? Have you ever heard the saying "slow and steady wins the race"? For me, and should be all of us, this is a journey for life. No hurry. Take one day at a time. Look at menus from people who have had success. We all want the quick fix, but in the end the quick fix will be the downfall and you will regain what you had lost. Then you start over...maybe again and again..I eat a variety and most days do eat back some of my exercise calories. What I eat keeps me full. Do I have binge days, yes I do, but I also get right back on track the next day. I also have one day a week of what I call my "splurge day". This is usually a night out for pizza and garlic bread. I haven't given up things I love. I just eat them in moderation, and I plan for them. I am on my 2nd round of weight loss. The first round I kept my 82# loss off for 8 years or so. Life gets in the way. I lost my mom and eldest brother within months of each other. I got totally off track and gained back quite a bit, but I'm back and have taken off 30 # so far, but slowly. I'm mentally in a much better place doing it like this. I wish you the best in finding what works for you, but in a healthy manner.
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Did your vertigo ever get better? Did they find the cause?

I had Meniere's disease for about six months and it was pretty brutal, since I've had random attacks but they usually don't last as long. Did they do tests and rule out stroke and so forth? I think I may have had a stroke personally as I lost a lot of memory around the same time (when? Well I can't actually recall....because yeah, memory loss)

I'm a kinda 'aim for the stars' kinda person myself. I usually get people rattled by my lack of optimizing of numbers and being too optimistic - but I'm a creative type, I bet you are too. (Not that it's bad, I wish I had that type A, 'on it' personality sometimes!).

Wishing you the best and really hope you feel better!

• maggieshort2
    maggieshort2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're feeling better! Unfortunately I don't think it's realistic or healthy to lose 13% of your body weight in two weeks. I would say it's realistic at a sedentary level to lose 1lb of body weight a week. Not only will this get you there safely, but in a healthy way. Good luck!
  • lillianmcdonald55
    lillianmcdonald55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, Just to let all of you know, I failed to mention that, yes I do get my proteins, vitamins and everything that I need in to stay healthy. :) And my weight is down to 150 lbs, so , we'll see if I make it. I am monitored closely by my doctor as well, and she is very pleased and states that I am in great shape. I did start doing some wonderful exercises that I can do that doesn't bother me and I am working out a lot. I showed my doctor the comments and she said, mind over matter. Where there's a will, there's a way!
    No way, can't, impossible, any negative thoughts or words right now are not in my vocabulary nor in my head. Not being mean, just keep them to yourself.