Lunch Ideas

Options
Hey!

Has anyone got any great lunch ideas for during the week? I work in the city and smell everyone bring in fantastic lunches and my poor salad just doesn't seem to cut it anymore...

I work in an office so any ideas that anyone can put forward would be greatly appreciated... I like to keep my lunch calories to around 216 ... plz help!!

Replies

• PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    jacket potato with baked beans or cottage cheese is always an easy one. Or a roasted chicken and lite mayo on wholewheat bread, a veggie and bean wrap? there are a lot of options out there, just look at meal plans online and see what suits you best
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'll be interested in reading the responses to this. I always keep peanut butter and jelly at the office for an emergency but I usually take leftovers from home and warm them up. Then I can use portion control. I'm surrounded by fast food restaurants and there really isn't anyplace I can run out to grab something quick.
  • alyssag1983
    alyssag1983 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you could make a quiche> 4 eggs and 1 1/2 cups tone milk beat until frothy in a seperate bowl add 1 diced onion, 1 small grated carrot 1/2 grated zuchini 3/4 cup light cheese and 1/2 cup S.R flour (bacon optional) mix togther then add your egg mix and fold together pour into lightly greased dish and bake at 200c for about 40min serves 4 think its about 275 calories per serve with a small amount of bacon hope this helps
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my lunches at 300 cal or less.
    What I usually bring is the 100cal sandwich thins (orrowheat or pepperidge farms)

Some sort of sandwich filling (1/8 cup sloppy joe made with 93/7 ground beef)
    smoked turkey
    turkey bologna
    91/9 Hamburger patty (170 cal)

sweet potato in the microwave (medium 100 cal) with light butter/margarine maybe cinnamon and splenda

Oh my favorite lunch is PIZZA

I take a Flat Out Light wrap 90 cal
    turkey pepperoni (8 slices) 35 cal
    pizza sauce (depending on amount 1/4 cup is 30 cal)
    reduced fat italian cheese 80 cal

I then put it in the toaster oven at work and let it crisp.
    Yummy!

for condiments I use Ketchup and mustard and pickles to keep the calories low. I love these anyway.
    Also, there are some new baked chips out that give you a pretty big portion. I bought some Hot fries yesterday 50 of them are only 120 cal. Then there is snack size popcorn bags for 90 cal.
    I also cook up a big meal on the weekend and make my lunches from there keeping my calories in check.

Lately though I find that I am losing a lot more if my lunches are under 500 and my supper is under 300. I think being sedentary in the evenings I need less calories.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I either make homemade veg soup which is filling and ridiculously low in calories and fat (don't use oil or butter just chuck all veggies plus seasoning and stock cubes into pan with boiling water and cook for 40ish minutes!), or baked potato and Chilli! Both great lunches and easy to heat up in micro! :)
  • Bel811
    Options
    you could make a quiche> 4 eggs and 1 1/2 cups tone milk beat until frothy in a seperate bowl add 1 diced onion, 1 small grated carrot 1/2 grated zuchini 3/4 cup light cheese and 1/2 cup S.R flour (bacon optional) mix togther then add your egg mix and fold together pour into lightly greased dish and bake at 200c for about 40min serves 4 think its about 275 calories per serve with a small amount of bacon hope this helps

That sounds yummy!!!
  • Bel811
    Options
    I try to keep my lunches at 300 cal or less.
    What I usually bring is the 100cal sandwich thins (orrowheat or pepperidge farms)

Some sort of sandwich filling (1/8 cup sloppy joe made with 93/7 ground beef)
    smoked turkey
    turkey bologna
    91/9 Hamburger patty (170 cal)

sweet potato in the microwave (medium 100 cal) with light butter/margarine maybe cinnamon and splenda

Oh my favorite lunch is PIZZA

I take a Flat Out Light wrap 90 cal
    turkey pepperoni (8 slices) 35 cal
    pizza sauce (depending on amount 1/4 cup is 30 cal)
    reduced fat italian cheese 80 cal

I then put it in the toaster oven at work and let it crisp.
    Yummy!

for condiments I use Ketchup and mustard and pickles to keep the calories low. I love these anyway.
    Also, there are some new baked chips out that give you a pretty big portion. I bought some Hot fries yesterday 50 of them are only 120 cal. Then there is snack size popcorn bags for 90 cal.
    I also cook up a big meal on the weekend and make my lunches from there keeping my calories in check.

Lately though I find that I am losing a lot more if my lunches are under 500 and my supper is under 300. I think being sedentary in the evenings I need less calories.

That Pizza sounds good, although I don't have access to a toaster oven at work!... will be trying it this weekend for lunch though.
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you like Indian food, I love making a batch of Aloo Gobi (curried cauliflower and potato). It actually tastes better a day or two after making it, and is great to heat up as lunches at work. It is about 200 cals per serving (could be less if you didn't use the potato...though I find it important to make you feel full!)

Makes six servings

1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
    3 tbsp chopped gingerroot
    1 tsp turmeric
    3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 medium cauliflower
    2 potatoes cut into pieces
    1 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
    1/4 cup vegetable oil

1) In large wok or skillet, heat oil over medium, then add cumin seeds and saute for about 1 min. Then add ginger and saute for 2 min.
    2) Stir in turmeric and cayenne and stir for about 30 s. Add cauliflower, potatoes and salt. Mix well. Cover with a tight lid and gook on med-low until veggies are tender (around 10-12 minutes).

Enjoy! Can be great on its own, or in a wrap, or with some quinoa (though this increases the calorie count).
  • Bel811
    Options
    If you like Indian food, I love making a batch of Aloo Gobi (curried cauliflower and potato). It actually tastes better a day or two after making it, and is great to heat up as lunches at work. It is about 200 cals per serving (could be less if you didn't use the potato...though I find it important to make you feel full!)

Makes six servings

1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
    3 tbsp chopped gingerroot
    1 tsp turmeric
    3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 medium cauliflower
    2 potatoes cut into pieces
    1 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
    1/4 cup vegetable oil

1) In large wok or skillet, heat oil over medium, then add cumin seeds and saute for about 1 min. Then add ginger and saute for 2 min.
    2) Stir in turmeric and cayenne and stir for about 30 s. Add cauliflower, potatoes and salt. Mix well. Cover with a tight lid and gook on med-low until veggies are tender (around 10-12 minutes).

Enjoy! Can be great on its own, or in a wrap, or with some quinoa (though this increases the calorie count).

will be trying this.... thank you!!!
  • Alisonkirk67
    Alisonkirk67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Kinda new to this, could you please tell me where i will find meal plans?

Thanks
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas!
  • koala1408
    Options
    For emergancy I always keep the uncle Bens mircowave rice and cous cous in my draw. Saves the days I forget my lunch to buy from the sandwich van.

But lunches often cous cous with a variety of guilt free extra's fruit, salad, wafer thin ham, chicken anything.
    Wraps and pitta bread, or rye bread with beetroot and humous filling taste's better than you think!!

Also chick pea and lential based meals...
  • koala1408
    Options
    For emergancy I always keep the uncle Bens mircowave rice and cous cous in my draw. Saves the days I forget my lunch to buy from the sandwich van.

But lunches often cous cous with a variety of guilt free extra's fruit, salad, wafer thin ham, chicken anything.
    Wraps and pitta bread, or rye bread with beetroot and humous filling taste's better than you think!!

Also chick pea and lential based meals...