10k - 9 miles

fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
How long do you think it would take to go from training for a 10k to a 9 mile race? 10k is 6.5 miles ish. Should I do any extra training or just stick with what I have been doing? I did a competitive off road 10k in 54 minutes yesterday, which was challenging but not super hard. I feel fine today.

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Couple of months realistically.
  • fteale
    The one I am hoping to do is in one month. Hmmmm.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    10K in 54 minutes is great, btw! I'm running my first official 10K in about 6 weeks and hoping to finish in under an hour. As for adding mileage, you can safely add about 10% to your mileage each week. So if you can run 6.5, bump it up to about 7.2 next week, then about 8 the next week, then just short of 9 after that...so about a month? Good luck!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    You could increase by 1 mile over next 2 weeks rest/taper 3rd and run race 4th week. 7.5 week 1, 8. week 2, maybe 6 week 3; 9 week 4
    Pushing it but probably doable if you've been running a while.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    I don't know the answer to your question as I just started the c25k a couple of weeks ago, but, CONGRATULATIONS on what you accomplished yesterday. That is very impressive!
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    You can do it in a couple of weeks. You're already doing 6.5, it won't be hard to add the last 2.5. Each week add a half-3/4 of a mile to your training. I generally run 6 miles 2 times a week, and 8-10 on Saturdays. It wasn't hard to add the distance. Good luck!
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    You can definitely be ready in one month. If you can already run a 10k which is 6.2 miles, then getting to a 15k which is 9.3 miles will be no problem.

I am assuming your long run is currently at 6 miles, so in a week you can bump it up to 7 miles and then a week after that 8 miles and then you in another week you will be at 9.3.

If you were to follow Hal Higdon's 15k training plan you would run 4m, 3m, 6m one week and the next run 5m, 3m, 7m, followed by 5m, 3m, 8m, and then 3m, 2m, 15k. So its totally possible! Good Luck!
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    It's not that hard, but...

You will have to run it slower, deliberately slow your pace at the start and be disciplined about it. a HRM will help.

If you run 9 miles at your 10k pace without build up you will not feel fine the next day :p

I would say start using your long run to go a bit slower and a bit further each week. Maybe add 10 mins to your 10k each week so in a month your running 90-100 mins. but slowly!

On race day don't shoot your bolt too early, once you hit 10 k if your feeling good then open the throttle and adrenalin should get you through.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    If you are familiar with the c25k program, this is a bridge to 10k that might be a great structure for you. Good luck!!
  • AnnThereseRN
    AnnThereseRN Posts: 44 Member
    No problem doing it in one month. If you can run a 10K, you can run 10mi. Your pace may be a little slower than with the 10K, though not by too much.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    You wont have any trouble doing it in a month. Is that 3 or 4 long runs before your event?. I recommend that you do the following

4 long runs
    WK 1: 7.5 miles.
    WK 2 : 8.5 miles
    WK 3: 7 miles
    WK 4: 3 miles (Tapering off / rest)

3 Long runs
    WK 1: 7.5 miles.
    WK 2 : 8.5 miles
    WK 3: 5 miles(Tapering off / rest)

You don't have to do the full distance before the race!

Note: as per previous advice, don't push your speed on your long runs - just go steady and focus on completing teh distance still feeling good. DO NOT sprint the end!!!!

During tapering, you should be going faster but again, same speed for the whole run - no sprint finish even if you have it in your legs... save if for race day!

Good luck
  • fteale
    Thanks! That's really helpful. I've been running for 14 months, and have done a few 10 ks now (my first 8 days after starting running!), so I have a fair bit of experience. My long run is at the moment 11km, so about 7 miles. I think pacing is my biggest problem. I tend to go really fast for the first 2 or 3 km, then slow down progressively from 4-8, then speed up for the last 2. I need to pace myself better!
  • The one I am hoping to do is in one month. Hmmmm.

it's just three more miles.

Don't sweat it, a month is fine.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Thanks! That's really helpful. I've been running for 14 months, and have done a few 10 ks now (my first 8 days after starting running!), so I have a fair bit of experience. My long run is at the moment 11km, so about 7 miles. I think pacing is my biggest problem. I tend to go really fast for the first 2 or 3 km, then slow down progressively from 4-8, then speed up for the last 2. I need to pace myself better!

Actually - that's quite a common pattern and not necessarily bad... I find starting a little above pace helps me to loosen up (2-3miles) - then I slow to race pace and slowly push the speed up over the last 50% of whatever distance I'm doing. Once you hit pace try and keep it steady and make sure your increments at the end feel natural - My basic premise is that when I speed up it shouldn't feel like more effort - if it feels harder then pull it back to the previous speed and keep going at that pace. that way you never burn out!
  • fteale

Actually - that's quite a common pattern and not necessarily bad... I find starting a little above pace helps me to loosen up (2-3miles) - then I slow to race pace and slowly push the speed up over the last 50% of whatever distance I'm doing. Once you hit pace try and keep it steady and make sure your increments at the end feel natural - My basic premise is that when I speed up it shouldn't feel like more effort - if it feels harder then pull it back to the previous speed and keep going at that pace. that way you never burn out!

Thanks. Looking at the races you are doing you must live pretty close to me!