Apartment workouts

Options
I'm looking for tips on working out, but I live in an apartment , with alot of seniors, and I'm worried about making to much noise. Any tips?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Lived on flats for most of my adult life and have been working out mostly inside all that time. Look up calisthenics. It doesn't need to involve jumping around, but of course a good floor mat helps. A few kettlebells for adding some more weight when you run out of bodyweight variations (just don't throw them around) You might want to check out the reddit recommended routine or any other bodyweight programmes.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would talk to the person that lives below you and tell them what you are planning on doing. Have them notify you if you are to noisy. But otherwise I would stay away from anything that has you do any form of jumping. I have a bad knee so I have to avoid anything that has to do with jumping, so I will just do another exercise if the workouts have something I can't do.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a copy of a book called "You Are Your Own Gym" that has great information about body weight exercises that can be done anywhere. Yirara's suggestion about kettlebells is also good, you can do a lot with them and as long as you're not dropping them on the floor you're unlikely to be disturbing anyone.

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    resistance bands are silent, and they come in a variety of resistances. you can work pretty much every body part in a variety of ways, and you can get bands with as little as 5 pounds resistance or 60 pounds or more. and dumbbells are small, and they don't make a sound. i started with dumbbells and really liked them.

an exercise bike can be almost totally silent, and some fold up for smaller storage, too. or a good quality pedaler can be used to pedal with your arms or your legs, burning calories, adding flexibility and strength.

just a few thoughts...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Suspension trainer. Look at TRX exercises. Also if it's a senior citizen population, I doubt noise is something they complain a lot about since most lose a good amount of hearing in their later years! I kid a little here, but a suspension system is VERY QUIET unless you're doing like jump squats with them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    There are some great home workout videos on YouTube for free - Get Fit with Rick has some great cardio/walking videos which are pretty well silent for your neighbours, and there are loads of others too.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that's new! I reported a spam, because the person posting right above here tried to peddle her own business, and her advert immediately vanished. So TO, don't send emails to random people offering advice offsite. There's good advice here.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    FitOn is a free app that has a variety of low or no impact cardio workouts. They are joint and lower neighbour friendly. And don’t let no or low impact fool you — these are intense workouts.

You didn’t mention anything about equipment you have. If you don’t already have any, then you might consider a select-a-size weight system. I have dumbbells from 2-30 pounds, but also recently purchased the bow flex select tech weights. They take up a fraction of the space and give a lot of weight options.

I also have resistance bands and loops. These are also very quiet.

Frankly, even if you are jumping, you should have ‘soft landings’, so you shouldn’t be disbursing to you downstairs neighbours.

Take care