are you on a specific diet or do you just do your own thing.

Options

Replies

• amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am just eating what I want staying within the calorie limits of MFP it is working great
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm a 51-year-old RN with nearly 30 years experience. I know a thing or two about nutrition. Unfortunately, for me, "knowing" has never translated into "doing".

"All things in moderation" hasn't worked for me, 'cause my definition of "moderation" was flexible, depending on my emotional state, stress level, and if I just wanted to eat a whole tub of whipped cream cheese and half a box of Triscuits!

I've tried programs where "you can eat whatever you want on this program"... again that just didn't work for me, 'cause it was too flexible.

I am now 3 months into The 17 Day Diet, and I've lost 23 lbs. I have discovered that I do better with MORE restrictions. In a nutshell, the 17 Day Diet is 3 Cycles that last 17 days each. So even on the most restrictive cycle, Cycle 1, you can tell yourself "hey, I can do this, it's just for 17 days". You go through Cycle 1, 2, 3, then back to Cycle 1 if there's more weight to lose.

Cycle 4 is Maintenance, and when you get here - Voila! - you are eating fresh fruits, veggies, lean proteins, probiotics, drinking green tea and lots of water - and you are eating little or no refined flour, sugar, artificial sweeteners. You are allowed a few "free meals" per week so you can live your life, you can go to a wedding and eat wedding cake.

Kudos to those of you that can make this lifestyle change on your own - that's terrific! For me, I found I NEEDED a more structured way to get there, and the 17 Day Diet is doing it for me! And I'm completely off Diet Coke, something this old former "Night Nurse" never thought would happen!

Good luck to you - Great Post Topic!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have never been on a specific diet, I eat healthy enough but make sure I eat what I want and just stay to low enough cals, fat etc. Diets do not work for me as they don't teach how to maintain afterwards. It works for some but not me. I take losing weight very slowly. Over 100 pounds in 4 years, which to some would be slow but the only reason I ever put a pound back on is because of pregnancy. The slow approach whilst eating what you need to is best for me as it means I never binge.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have tried "diets" in the past, they don't work well for me. Like yourself, the second I "can't" have something, I want it more. I eat everything I like in moderation and try to make mostly healthy choices. I also try new to me, healthier or lower calorie alternatives sometimes to change things up. The only thing other than this that has worked for me was weight watchers, but I don't consider weight watchers that kind of "diet".
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am on Diet chef, have been for two week. i have lost nearly half a stone in two weeks and there are very few restrictions and lots of tasty extras, would recommend it. good luck
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've never ate to a set 'diet', mostly because I'm a picky eater and I like to eat out often and try different things.

I base what I eat on portion control. I also make protein the main part of a lunch or dinner (whether its red meat/poultry/fish/cheese/eggs) and fit my 5 a day in around that along with some form of carb (potatoes/rice/pasta). I don't think of foods as bad or good either, only bad/good sized portions.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm a 51-year-old RN with nearly 30 years experience. I know a thing or two about nutrition.

Should I eat 5-6 or even 7 small meals a day when losing weight to speed up my metabolism? Does it matter or can I eat just a few meals a day? Which is better for losing weight?
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I just count my calories, I don't even like to really use the word diet because I don't want to fool my mind into thinking this is just short term, I like to think of it as a healthy life style change. I eat whatever I want I just don't go over my calories. I do shop for better food now, but I still love my mt. dew and I drink 1 a day, it takes away from food I could eat but I am willing to sacrifice that. I now buy sugar free candies so if and when I get that craving for something sweet I have them and they taste really good. I exercise more now than I ever did in the past and I have seen a change, I have been doing this for 2 1/2 weeks and I have lost 12 lbs.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I'm a 51-year-old RN with nearly 30 years experience. I know a thing or two about nutrition.

Should I eat 5-6 or even 7 small meals a day when losing weight to speed up my metabolism? Does it matter or can I eat just a few meals a day? Which is better for losing weight?

I have heard it both ways, I have heard eating small meals keeps your metabolism up but I have also heard it doesn't make a difference. I just eat when i get hungry, I end up eating 6 times a day, Breakfast,snack,lunch,snack,dinner,snack.
  • luvgreen25
    Options
    I'm exactly the same way. Tell me I can't have something, even something that I don't like anyway, and it's all I can think about. I'm following the "everything in moderation" plan.
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    No specific diet for me, I just try to stay within my calorie requirements. I DO let myself have the things I love every day (i.e. chocolate) but in small portions.

Calorie counting seems to be working, though I am concious not to make it just about calories...Eating within the calorie limit but having most of it be junk doesn't make sense either!

I'm trying to change my habits slowly...drink more water (check), get more activity (check), increase veggies (check), start weights (check)...I'm just slowly adjusting my lifestyle based on what I observe by tracking everything, rather than following a specific plan or diet.
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    2 things I follow: very low carbs for my PCOS and sugar free for my Type 2. Other than that I make my own up and have been super successful at it. Lost 45 lbs since March. Just hit my first plateau 2 weeks ago and changed up my calorie intake and have lost 4 more since then. I am now at the lowest I have been in 13 years!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I am definitely just doing my own thing...working very hard in the gym and really watching what I eat (with the help of MFP). So far, so good, and the cravings for bad food have dropped off almost completely.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Like most everyone else, I just watch my calorie intake. With that being said, I do somewhat follow the foods listed in the South Beach Diet. In other words, I do try to avoid foods that are high on the glycemic index. That doesn't always happen, but I do want to keep my sugar in check. While I am not diabetic, it is in my family, so that is important.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have had really good success with specific diets in the past. The best ever was the 6 week body makeover - I didn't use any of the supplements or anything, just followed the food and exercise plan. The concern for me now is that I have 2 very thin little boys that I don't want to have thinking that they need to diet. I want to teach them how to control their limits and accept that there are foods that they can eat all the time, foods they should eat less frequently, and foods that are really not good for them at all, but that even those can be eaten very sparingly. I have to be the example to them, so no diet thing in the house.
  • lallder
    lallder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 6 week body makeover plan. This plan seems to really work for me since I was able to tailor it specifically to me.
  • Kushgetti
    Kushgetti Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i do my own thing....i eat healthy and in moderation...as far as junk ill eat alittle but i will exercise or substitue...i do keep my calories in check and i eat every 3 to 4 hours stopping my last meal around 6:30pm
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't follow any diet. I just try to eat healthy & incorporate a lot of veggies, fruits & lean meats. But i will still have my "treats" also.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

I have heard it both ways, I have heard eating small meals keeps your metabolism up but I have also heard it doesn't make a difference. I just eat when i get hungry, I end up eating 6 times a day, Breakfast,snack,lunch,snack,dinner,snack.
    It depends on your particular metabolism, and it also depends on what *type* of foods you're eating. I have a metabolic disorder, can't process carbs, so my doctor instructed me to eat something with protein in it every three hours while I'm awake. That sustains my metabolism at a steady rate without spiking and crashing and without using carbs for energy. So I end up eating 6 small meals a day, sometimes 7 if I stay up late.
    People's metabolisms can vary a LOT. That's why very different diets work for different people. You can get your doctor to do a test (like I did) to determine your particular metabolic needs, or you can just use trial and error to figure out how your body works best.
    Good luck!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I tried every diet under the sun for 20 years. And I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all diet. Everyone is different, everyone's metabolism works a little differently, at different speeds, more or less efficiently...
    If you study any biochemistry or anatomy, you see that our systems are incredibly complex. Tiny hormonal imbalances can have disastrous consequences, everything has to work together, everything interacts and affects everything else. Even the amount of sleep you get affects your ability to process foods & lose weight! A small percentage of people will be able to pick up "The South Beach Diet" or "The Primal Blueprint" and apply the principles "as is" and it will work for them. The rest of us need to adjust our lifestyles and eating habits for our own personal metabolisms & personalities.

With that said, personally I have had no success with the 'everything in moderation" rule. As some others have noted, that leaves way too much room for emotional eating and a lax interpretation of "moderation." I have to set strict rules for myself and follow them. Right now, I have two, both given to me by my doctor:
    1. Eat no more than 25g carbs per day.
    2. Eat at least 50g protein every three hours while I'm awake.
    There are only two rules, and I can follow them any way I like (for example, any type of protein I want), but I do follow these rules strictly and never give myself a "day off" or cut myself any slack whatsoever. If I do that, I feel sick & miserable & remember why I started this in the first place. :smile: