Overnight Oats

Options
For those of you who eat overnight oats - what are you adding? I have been doing strawberries, blueberries, honey, sugar-free chocolate chips and someone said I had too many carbs. I don't count carbs but wondered what others add.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,474 Member
    Options
    I don't do overnight oats. I mix my oats with skyr and it it this way. Gives me a quite solid, nicely chewable breakfast. I always add raisins and whatever fruit I have at that moment.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    If you find it satiating (i.e., you're not looking for your next meal in a couple of hours) and you get enough protein and fat throughout the day, don't worry what other people say about it.

ETA -- I generally add fresh or dried fruit and thick (Greek) yogurt, but I generally have my oats cooked or if cold in a shorter prep than overnight.
  • wanderingaowie
    wanderingaowie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I add similar stuff such as Greek style yog, blueberries, strawberries, banana, sometimes apple and cinnamon. In the last few months, however, I've switched from oats to chia seeds (initially I started adding chia to my overnight oats but then made the switch to all chia no oats). 1-2tbs of chia seeds with yoghurt and fruit is filling, packed with a larger variety of nutrients and great for getting daily fibre up. They're also lower in carbs compared to oats if that's something that you (or seemingly other people) are worried about.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Firstly, don't worry about the carbs unless your doctor told you to.

Oats, pineapple juice and coconut milk for the liquid (or you could use coconut water if you didn't want to add that much sugar/calories), some Greek yogurt or protein powder for some more protein (I actually use Kodiak oatmeal anyway which has a bit more protein), then I'd add in some toasted coconut (options could be sweetened or unsweetended)...and some topical fruits like kiwi, mango, pineapple...etc.

Depending on what my caloric needs for breakfast were (or if it's a snack) I might also add in some chia seeds, ground flax seeds, and/or hemp hearts too.

Could make quite a substantial meal with all that actually - you'll have to play around with the amounts of stuff when you make it and see what works.

Edit: above is just something I came up with now. But I generally add in whatever frozen fruit I have in the freezer (which I just try to change up each time I grab some, right now I have a rather large bag of blueberries though)...some protein powder and the chia/flax/hemp seeds.

I also make a savory version where I will do oats and water, for the sweetener I will just add a mashed up banana....and then I will cut up bacon into pieces and fry it till it's like bacon bits and put that on top and then fry a couple eggs in butter and put those on top. So then it's like...slightly sweetened oatmeal but with bacon and eggs. This is cooked though, so not sure it could be adopted for overnight oats. But I think lots of people are stuck in thinking 'sweet' when they are making oatmeal. It can be savory too!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I make homemade yogurt and once in a great while, it'll turn out a bit runny or grainy. When that happens, it's Overnight Oats Week. Home grown wild black raspberries from the freezer are my go-to, but sometimes it's chopped dates or prunes. Granola on top.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    For those of you who eat overnight oats - what are you adding? I have been doing strawberries, blueberries, honey, sugar-free chocolate chips and someone said I had too many carbs. I don't count carbs but wondered what others add.

I don't count carbs either, but I do count protein, and having this little protein for breakfast would make it more challenging to meet my protein goal. Also, with this high amount of carbs and low protein and fat, I'd be hungry again in an hour. I'd add Greek yogurt and chia seeds. To keep calories equal, you'll need to reduce some of the other components.

While I think yogurt and oats pair wonderfully, instead of the yogurt, you could instead add a half scoop of protein powder.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    frozen cherries (thawed) are great. If you want more protein, try greek yogurt and/or pecans, walnuts. I like to use a lot of cinnamon, and often some nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and/or allspice. raisins, applesauce, walnuts and cinnamon is also a good combo (with molassas if you are using sweetner.)
  • Ecampbell396
    Ecampbell396 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a huge chocolate fan so this is my obsession lately.

1 or 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (vanilla works also)
    5g unsweetened cocoa powder
    15g powdered peanut butter
    20g honey
    Half cup oats
    Half cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

These are so fudgy and so so good. If im low on protein or eating them before a workout ill do the 2 scoops protein powder and sometimes I'll add a banana. Just depends on the other things I plan on eating that day
  • vtb4grgc9w
    vtb4grgc9w Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oats, 2 scoops chocolate protein powder, 2 tablespoons chia seeds, 1 cup blueberries and 1 cup -1 1/2 cup skim milk. Very tasty! Sometimes I will add a container of vanilla yogurt at meal time.