Is big loss without weight loss surgery possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Have you considered ozempic or wegovy? I’d consider trying an injectable before trying surgical options if it was me.

I am able to lose/maintain consistently using diet/exercise but my father cannot. He was over 100 pounds overweight and has lost 30 pounds over the last 3-4 months in a consistent way on ozempic.

Just putting out options…. Please do what is best for you!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    57 year old male. I have lost about 62 pounds so far simply counting calories. Yes, it is possible.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    No surgery. Just landed in the hospital for a week possibly with covid. During the week in the hospital I decided party had been going long enough. Figured I’d try and see where things would go. I started at 49. Just turned 53 on 6/30. In 3 days I’ll have a 1300 day streak of logging my meals. I ran a 10k yesterday and ran another 5 miles today. Everyone is unique and results will vary, but if you can find something that works for you and you foresee that it’s a lifestyle you can stick with hell yes you can do it. Surgery is definitely something that can help, but don’t think it’s the solution that’ll fix your current situation. It will help, but only if you work at it as much as people that do it the non surgical way. I’ve known coworkers and friends that have done it, loose the weight, but then people find ways to kill the success. Surgical or non it needs to be something you can foresee doing for the rest of your days as long as you have the physical and mental abilities to keep at it….

kqh00ehz8xif.jpeg
    5x31uu23pn5b.jpeg

Amazing! It looks like even your bucket is smaller :lol:

I believe I saw on another thread that you started at over 400 pounds and you are now around 180 pounds - what an achievement!

I try to stay away from the #. It’s different for everyone. But yeah I was well 4 Benjamins… same bucket.. it was a trooper and survived me going well over the limits. 😂
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    No surgery. Just landed in the hospital for a week possibly with covid. During the week in the hospital I decided party had been going long enough. Figured I’d try and see where things would go. I started at 49. Just turned 53 on 6/30. In 3 days I’ll have a 1300 day streak of logging my meals. I ran a 10k yesterday and ran another 5 miles today. Everyone is unique and results will vary, but if you can find something that works for you and you foresee that it’s a lifestyle you can stick with hell yes you can do it. Surgery is definitely something that can help, but don’t think it’s the solution that’ll fix your current situation. It will help, but only if you work at it as much as people that do it the non surgical way. I’ve known coworkers and friends that have done it, loose the weight, but then people find ways to kill the success. Surgical or non it needs to be something you can foresee doing for the rest of your days as long as you have the physical and mental abilities to keep at it….

kqh00ehz8xif.jpeg
    5x31uu23pn5b.jpeg

Mr Mota: I LOVE THE NEW PICTURE!!!!!!!

That has to be the best and most galvanizing before/after photo ever!!!

Thank you… I’m a work in progress. I need to be better about what I was able to do. Want to be a pain to all as long as I can… 🤣
  • AnnF99
    AnnF99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. Some can lose a large number of kg on their own. Some can lose a lot of weight only with the help of a nutritionist and a fitness trainer. For example, it is very difficult for me to lose even 2 kg on my own. In addition to losing weight, you need to be able to keep the weight off so that you don't gain even more than you lost
  • SonnieGirl444
    SonnieGirl444 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You’ll lose the weight faster with surgery, but like someone indirectly mentioned, focus on the why’s. I had the gastric sleeve in 2015, and regretfully gained back almost all of my weight since. I’m now back on this app to track and lose without surgery. If you can maintain support, you’ll be fine. The surgery is just a kick start. And a good one. The sleeve has less complications. I lost 60% of my body weight (I think that’s how it went) in a year. Wishing you the best. Lots of good advice here.
  • Mark031111
    Mark031111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Definitely! The can contribute positively to your weight loss goals. It's essential to work closely with your healthcare team to ensure the best outcomes for your overall health and well-being. Wishing you all the best on your path towards a healthier you!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I considered surgery as my health was going downhill fast. However, two things stopped me.
    1. Surgery changes your body forever (scary)
    2. I was diagnosed diabetic

I would take a semaglutide injection over surgery any day. I’ve lost about 35 lbs. in 6 months. I take ozempic , but also have completely changed my lifestyle. I swim, do aerobics and count calories. I decided to change when I found out I was diabetic. I still have 75 lbs. to lose.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Wishing you lots of success!
  • dianefarwells
    dianefarwells Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    After trying EVERY diet known to mankind, I had weight loss surgery 5 and half years ago and lost 103 pounds. I was 65 at that time. I was determined, successful, and reached my goal weight in 18 months.
    The doctor ALWAYS reminded his patients that the surgery is a TOOL AND NOT A CURE! You still have to stick to a diet and exercise. Many of his patients failed because, as many folks have mentioned here, the surgery is not fixing the root of the reason you are overweight in the first place. In the years since my surgery, and mostly due to the pandemic, I have gained back 30 pounds that I'm now struggling to lose...because the reasons I overeat were never resolved.
    Bottom line: skip the surgery...it comes with too many risks...and sagging skin.
  • antonsavvin
    antonsavvin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 150 lbs in 2015-16 without surgery. Then, though, I had to go through skin removal. Later I regained some of the lost weight, but now I’m in the process of losing it again. Since February, I’ve lost about 40 lbs and counting. MFP is a great assistance when it comes to controlling my ED (which had started long before I learned about it). Yet exercising shouldn’t be neglected too. So yes, it’s quite possible.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 150 lbs in 2015-16 without surgery. Then, though, I had to go through skin removal. Later I regained some of the lost weight, but now I’m in the process of losing it again. Since February, I’ve lost about 40 lbs and counting. MFP is a great assistance when it comes to controlling my ED (which had started long before I learned about it). Yet exercising shouldn’t be neglected too. So yes, it’s quite possible.

@antonsavvin wow, great to hear - way to go!

I'd like to hear more about how MFP helps you control your ED.
  • Calilassie
    Calilassie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Let us know what you decided.
    I support that everyone is different and needs to do what will work for you.

Thank you, I decided to postpone until early 2024.
    I am so sorry to hear about your mum, the complication rates are reportedly low, but there’s still seems to be so many who have complications like this.