60 lbs to Machu Picchu

Options
After failing to stick to calorie counting several times, I had this crazy idea. I booked a trip to Peru one year from now which will include hiking the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. It's a 3-day hike so I absolutely have to be in decent shape to make it. This trip is now serving as my motivation and a hard deadline to lose the weight and improve my endurance. If I don't make it, it will be a colossal disappointment and a huge waste of money. I started at 200 lbs when I booked the trip and the goal is to go down to 140 lbs. I am now two weeks in, I weigh 195 lbs with 356 days to go.

I'm thinking that after the trip I'll look for other challenges, like maybe the Spartan race or hiking to Mt. Everest base camp. I'd love to meet other people that are motivated by adventure.

Wish me luck!

Replies

• soniamerc6
    soniamerc6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I’m planning to walk the Camino de Santiago (Portugal to Spain path) and am using that as my motivation to get ready! :)
  • coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    soniamerc6 wrote: »
    Good luck! I’m planning to walk the Camino de Santiago (Portugal to Spain path) and am using that as my motivation to get ready! :)

I just looked it up, that's an awesome goal. Good luck, you got this!
  • AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn't know this about you. That's an incredible strategy. If I had the funds I would absolutely do something like that. I'm excited to already be a friend and witness you achieve your goal.
  • coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn't know this about you. That's an incredible strategy. If I had the funds I would absolutely do something like that. I'm excited to already be a friend and witness you achieve your goal.

Thanks! I'm not rich so this burned a hole on my pocket as well but I think it's the kick in the butt I needed :D It definitely helps having someone exited for me to succeed in this.
  • AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to share a few pictures on MFP after your awesome trip :smiley: I feel fairly certain you will indeed succeed.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I am very goal-oriented also. You'll make it for sure.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    coderdan82 wrote: »
    After failing to stick to calorie counting several times, I had this crazy idea. I booked a trip to Peru one year from now which will include hiking the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. It's a 3-day hike so I absolutely have to be in decent shape to make it. This trip is now serving as my motivation and a hard deadline to lose the weight and improve my endurance. If I don't make it, it will be a colossal disappointment and a huge waste of money. I started at 200 lbs when I booked the trip and the goal is to go down to 140 lbs. I am now two weeks in, I weigh 195 lbs with 356 days to go.

I'm thinking that after the trip I'll look for other challenges, like maybe the Spartan race or hiking to Mt. Everest base camp. I'd love to meet other people that are motivated by adventure.

Wish me luck!

If you don't reach your weight goal, it will not be a waste of money, because you will still have an amazing adventure in Peru!