I need suggestions to help curb my night-time eating.

Options
Hi all,

Here's my issue:

I do really well during the day. I have a good breakfast, a good lunch, a couple of snacks, usually fruit, and then... I go home. It feels like when I go home from work I'm a different person. I want to eat everything, I stop caring about what I put in my body or how many calories it is. I eat a big, unhealthy dinner, and then... I keep eating. Eating junk for dinner is bad enough, but then it's like I'm a vacuum cleaner all the way until bed time.

Has anyone experienced this? Can I get some suggestions on rules to set for myself or things to change to avoid this? Tough love welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• kassied09
    Options
    I have the same problem: night time is terrible for me. Usually, I eat less during the day. about 250-300 calories for breakfast and 100 for lunch (just a salad with light dressing or veggies) This way I can eat 800 calories at night and everything is still dandy.
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As long as I can get myself out of the kitchen I am usually fine, go do laundry, scrub a tub, if its really bad, get completely out
    of the house and go for a walk around the block. Get snacks that last a long time, like for something sweet get tootsie roll pops and try not to bite them but instead suck them, it takes a while and this may help.
  • speakz82
    Options
    Go to sleep. Seriously. If I can't get to sleep on my own, I take a melatonin. Besides we all need a good 8 hours. I got off track for the last month (I've never been a night eater, but bad at sleeping). If you feel your eating is out of control, go to sleep. Keeps my fat butt out of the fridge.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating more during the day? Personally, when I eat really light for breakfast and lunch, I'm much more prone to binging when I get home from work.
  • me1howard
    me1howard Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ditto for me. I usually sabotage myself by eating a peanut butter sandwich which puts me way over. I think with me, I'm trying to fill a void, but I don't know what it is. I totally understand! it's like a monster takes over!
  • aroemer627
    Options
    Brush your teeth right after dinner. It's as good as dessert cuz it tastes good, then you won't want to get your teeth "dirty" again by eating junk food.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Yes, I've experienced that for years. Firstly, I would take that kind of food out of the house. If you're craving, you're more likely to a healthy snack or not at all. I would stay as far away from the kitchen as possible at night. Sometimes, I just have to stay in my room and exercise. Find a hobby. You're less likely to think about food if you're doing something you really like. Stick some motivational quotes on the fridge or pantry door. Lastly, water. Drink a lot of it if you're feeling that urge to raid the kitchen.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi Samantha!

Looks like you're compulsivly eating. Perhaps you should plan out your dinner meals allowing yourself a snack.

That's how I handle that evening snack urge. But if you're truly hungry try a lil protein and then stop. Don't go back for more.

Exercise if you get the urge to keep eating. 1, It'll remind you to stop. 2. It'll remind you that you'll have to do more exercise every

time you binge. 3. It'll fight any additional unwanted calories.

I understand what you're going through. I used to do that in my 20's but now I'm much better!

Monica :heart:
  • lovinlife71
    Options
    I hate this...unfortunately I don't have any good advice....I am guilty of getting up in the middle of the night and eating :sad:
    Nicole
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Yep, I eat most of my food at work, so I'm left with about 300 calories when I clock out. Makes me not be so hungry. Plus going to bed earlier is like heaven to me... I'd do it in a minute! :yawn:
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I keep all my healthy snacks in the front of the fridge. fresh veggies, string cheese, yogurt and fruit.. All my semi healthy 100 cal packs are easy to access :) Good luck
  • cbrick143
    cbrick143 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    up until about a month ago, I had the same problem - was fine during the day while at work, but when i got home and on weekends, I would completely splurge and overeat. but, i've since made an effort to keep myself busy in the evenings, that way my mind doesn't have time to think about the food that's in the pantry or fridge.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Try eating more protein and whole grains for snacks. A piece of fruit won't keep you filled up for very long. Cheese, nuts, greek yogurt, meat, etc. Plan your meals and snacks for the whole day ahead of time. This way, when you get home from work, you know what you need to make. Remember to defrost meat the night before, do any prep work the night before or in the morning if you have time. If you don't have time for that, allow yourself a healthy snack when you get home from work and then you can take your time cooking. Eat dinner later to avoid snacking afterward. Go to bed earlier. Exercise before bed. I'm just throwing out suggestions here....you have to find what works best for you. Good luck.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well... in fact, I often find myself 500-700 calories to spare AFTER dinner --- and manage to eat them all after dinner. I don't think its a problem untill you're consistently going OVER by 500-700 a day. I even wake up at 1a, 3a, 5a, if the dogs want out and all I want to do is find a snack while I wait for them....

I realized I actually enjoy eating at night so I tend to save my calories so I can keep doing it.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    My first suggestion is that you eat proper foods during the day that help to keep you full for longer...
    Secondly, try to have food for dinner that is lower in calories, so that you can have a fairly large portion (try fish/chicken, reduce your rice/potato/pasta & add more veggies, etc...)
    Lastly, DO SOMETHING!! When I am at home all night doing nothing, I usually end up eating as well.
    Try going out for a walk.... you end up eating less, and burning more - GREAT RETURN!! ;)
    If there is a show that I really want to watch (only a few times I week), I will get ready for bed (including brushing my teeth), and watch the show while I am in bed. If I were to watch the TV on the couch, I DEFINITELY would have snacked!!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    You just have to stop it.

That's it. Just stop.

Eat dinner a little closer to bedtime and learn to deal with a little discomfort til your body adjusts.

You can doo eeeet!
  • littlemount
    Options
    I need to eat carbs in the night to get me to sleep but that just offsets my caloric intake. So this is what I am doing to divert my mind from eating/snacking in the evening 3000- 5000 steps walk/ jog most preferably after 6 pm also I drink vanilla flavored tea I need to search for a decaf one but this helps sometimes.
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't get this too much as I'm usually quite satisfied after dinner, but I think perhaps keeping yourself busy can really help. Do some chores, read a book, go for a walk...

Also, have you tried drinking something when you get the craving to eat?? I usually have a cup of tea after dinner when I feel like I want some dessert and that really helps.

The only other suggestion I would make is perhaps keep some healthy snacks in the house, maybe some salted popcorn or something, so that when you have the urge to eat, at least there's something less calorific in the house.
  • Mad4bullies
    Mad4bullies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, do so good during the day even through dinner. Then the snack attacks ruin everything... Keep the junk out of the house. Only have healthy snacks on hand so the damage is minimized. Instead of eating, I will sometimes have skim milk and hersheys syrup light... we all need a little more milk, right? I try to stay busy in the evening to keep from eating also. Clean, fold laundry...

I have heard brushing your teeth after dinner might help. I will have to try that one. And when all else fails, I force myself to go to bed.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Don't keep things you shouldn't be having in the house.
    Prepare your dinner or at least a 100% certain idea for your dinner ahead of time.
    Go to bed if you start to feel hungry after you've satisfied your calories for the day.

Do not deviate from your plan.