How much should I lose weekly

Options
Hey!
I am 158cm and 57kg(used to be 65kg)
I have a goal of losing 5kg(~10pounds), no specific timeline though, I just want to lose weight permanently!
With my fasting and exercise routine I lose about 2.5-3 pounds (1.25kg-1.5kg)a week.
I am totally cabable in doing more, but I don't want to make too drastic and short lasting changes!
So should I try to lose more weekly, or is what I am already doing enough?
Any help appreciated 🙏

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If you're losing 3 pounds per week then you're already losing too drastically. Slow it down. I know it feels good to get rid of the weight as soon as you can, but remind yourself that your body needs a chance to slowly adjust to the new changes. Dropping weight too quickly will most likely give you results you don't want, including weight returning. With just 5kg to go, you should be aiming for a half pound per week loss. It's really time to ease into your goal weight.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    a lot of folks here lose 1/2 to 2 pounds per week. 2.5 to 3 pounds loss per week left me feeling exhausted, dizzy and fatigued, so i slowed it down and have lost almost 100 pounds now, losing anywhere from 1/2 to 2 pounds per week, once in a while i lose no weight, but overall i've lost 25 pounds this year.

if you want to lose permanently, you'll need to change what you ate to get you where you are. it's much easier to lose - and to keep from just gaining it back - if you lose slowly so you don't feel deprived of treats or dizzy and weak from losing too fast. you'll also lose less muscle if you lose more slowly and eat enough protein. and i found that logging, weighing and measuring has shown me a lot about my regular eating habits, which has let me tweak a few things for health or to aim for more sustainable eating habits in the long run.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    I'd say .25 lbs a week from here on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    With only 10lbs to lose, in MFP you should choose the lowest weight loss rate setting you can....realistically you shouldn't really have a very high deficit at all at this point....so the rate of weight loss should be slow and take some time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Another vote for 0.25 - 0.5 lbs a week.

If you are a woman with a menstrual cycle, you may only see a loss once per month. This can be frustrating, but a trending app such as Happy Scale (iphone) or Libra (Android) can help. Focus on the trend, not the individual weigh-ins, and only compare yourself with the same point in as last cycle.
  • samahasan5612
    samahasan5612 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    If you're losing 3 pounds per week then you're already losing too drastically. Slow it down. I know it feels good to get rid of the weight as soon as you can, but remind yourself that your body needs a chance to slowly adjust to the new changes. Dropping weight too quickly will most likely give you results you don't want, including weight returning. With just 5kg to go, you should be aiming for a half pound per week loss. It's really time to ease into your goal weight.

Alright! I'll slow down the process a bit! I was a bit hectic in losing a bit weight at first but I'll try to be patient!
  • samahasan5612
    Options
    a lot of folks here lose 1/2 to 2 pounds per week. 2.5 to 3 pounds loss per week left me feeling exhausted, dizzy and fatigued, so i slowed it down and have lost almost 100 pounds now, losing anywhere from 1/2 to 2 pounds per week, once in a while i lose no weight, but overall i've lost 25 pounds this year.

if you want to lose permanently, you'll need to change what you ate to get you where you are. it's much easier to lose - and to keep from just gaining it back - if you lose slowly so you don't feel deprived of treats or dizzy and weak from losing too fast. you'll also lose less muscle if you lose more slowly and eat enough protein. and i found that logging, weighing and measuring has shown me a lot about my regular eating habits, which has let me tweak a few things for health or to aim for more sustainable eating habits in the long run.

Yeah, I also starting feeling way sleepier and lazier these past few days, I'll try to eat protein as well! I heard about the yo-yo effect, I really hope that won't happen to me! Thanks for your help though!
  • samahasan5612
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    At 158cm (5'2") and 57kg (125 lbs), I'd suggest 0.25kg (0.5 pound) a week . . . not 1.25kg-1.5kg ( 2.5-3 pounds).

Health has a value; so does patience.

Yeah... I guess I just wanted to get to my goal as fast as possible. I'll try to be more patient!
  • samahasan5612
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'd say .25 lbs a week from here on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Alright!!
  • samahasan5612
    Options
    With only 10lbs to lose, in MFP you should choose the lowest weight loss rate setting you can....realistically you shouldn't really have a very high deficit at all at this point....so the rate of weight loss should be slow and take some time.

Alright I'll try 0.25! But may I ask what kind of calorie deficit will be necessary? Should I do 1500cal or go a bit higher?
  • samahasan5612
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Another vote for 0.25 - 0.5 lbs a week.

If you are a woman with a menstrual cycle, you may only see a loss once per month. This can be frustrating, but a trending app such as Happy Scale (iphone) or Libra (Android) can help. Focus on the trend, not the individual weigh-ins, and only compare yourself with the same point in as last cycle.

Alright! I think check my progress once every month! I think it's better than every 3hrs because that made me aware of time. It felt like time was slowing down! Thanks for your suggestion to install Libra and your overall help 🙌
  • kshama2001
    Options

Alright I'll try 0.25! But may I ask what kind of calorie deficit will be necessary? Should I do 1500cal or go a bit higher?

Go here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change-goals-guided or More > Goals in app.

Put in your stats.

normal daily activities refers to your job.

Ignore How many times a week do you plan on exercising? - that does not get included in the equation. Log your exercise separately.

Select Lose 0.5 pound per week.
  • AnnF99
    AnnF99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You have a very good result! Nutritionists and fitness trainers say that the optimal weight loss per week should be 0.5-1 kg
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,518 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    deleted
  • tadam5638
    tadam5638 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, how are you losing that much so quickly?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    tadam5638 wrote: »
    Wow, how are you losing that much so quickly?

Undereating.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,518 Member
    Options
    And it's not healthy.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options

@samahasan5612 - you can redo the guided set up in MFP and just choose .25lb/week weight loss rate and see what it says. Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) estimate (if you have a sedentary lifestyle - like a desk job and don't really do much activity throughout the day consistently) is ~1250 cal/day so you really don't want to be eating less than that. But your maintenance level calories is likely ~1500/day if you are sedentary (if you have an active job or have kids that you are running around with, a dog you walk everyday, etc....maybe this is a little different). So if I were you - you really just need a very small deficit and be consistent with it, your weight loss will be slow. I would set your daily calorie goal to 1350 and log any significant intentional activity you do and eat back 50-100% of those calories depending on how you are feeling. But then you should see slow but steady progress over time. make any needed adjustments as you go. Keep it up. =D
  • christinahelen
    christinahelen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say hi as our stats are similar.
    I'm 157cm, 50kg and want to loose another 5kg.
    I've been loosing about 3lbs a week by fasting and reduced calorie intake.