Help.

Options
2»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    You are all right.I have been guessing when tracking calories.I have to track properly.So thanks folks.

I hope you’ll check back in with us and let us know how it’s going, and if we can offer more (reams of) advice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I walk *WAY* faster WITHOUT the dog.
    I walk way longer and more often WITH a dog.
    compromises compromises.

Neither my husky nor I were enthusiastic about walking during the South Florida summers. (He was a rescue dog, literally scooped up off the streets.)

But we walked twice per day anyway. NO WAY I would have done that without him.

cgfbw9bcbgkq.jpg
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting the 620 calories from. That sounds like a lot
    You've earned 620 extra calories from exercise today
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    enough posters have commented on logging inaccuracies already.

Just to give you an idea of somebody with same sort of stats as you.

I am nearly 5 ft 4 in, so slightly shorter than you, and I was 50 years old when I started and I weighed 72 kg.

I lost steadily on 1460 calories

Yes, weigh properly - but also adjust your calorie target - it should probably be around 1500, not 1000.
  • estherpotter1
    estherpotter1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks Im going to try that.
  • kshama2001
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Where are you getting the 620 calories from. That sounds like a lot
    You've earned 620 extra calories from exercise today

You can see if you view her diary and replace /food/ with /exercise/.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/diary/estherpotter1?date=2023-08-23

She's doing a lot of walking at 10.5 kph, plus additional exercise.

@estherpotter1 - have you verified if that speed is correct? Did you travel 15.75 k in that 90 minutes?

(See my post about your speed above.)
  • estherpotter1
    Options
    No I didnt verify the speed.I did a lot of guessing.So I have to work harder to lose more weight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    No I didnt verify the speed.I did a lot of guessing.So I have to work harder to lose more weight.

You have to use some reliable data to figure out how much you're really eating, and how many calories your workouts burn.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Have you considered a fitness tracker? Mine revolutionized my weight loss journey- how I thought, how I calculated, major adjustment of expectations, particularly realizing how few calories exercise actually burns versus how much some foods “cost”. Made me totally reevaluate what I was eating.

I use Apple Watch, daughter uses Fitbit. We both love them. Garmin is another good one. Costco has some good deals or ask around. I guarantee you e got a friend who bought one with the best intentions but now it’s sitting in a drawer.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Hey Esther,

As a former dog owner, I think 10.5 kph is very unlikely and suggest you measure out a kilometer and then time yourself with your dog.

Meanwhile, use this: "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog" - it's about 4.8 kph.

Unless there is a lot of stopping and sniffing, in which case use a slower speed.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    At brisk continuous pace I can walk about 6 km an hour - I know that from my fun run/ walk timings.

I go slower than that when walking my dog - admittedly I have a small dog.
  • springlering62
    edited August 2023
    Options
    My dog is a sniffer extraordinaire.

Having an Apple Watch and a dog who has to sniff and mark every bush, pole, or fallen leaf, is both a blessing and a curse.

When I see us on track for a 47 minute mile, or when Siri asks “workout complete?” Because we are going soooooo slow, I lose my mind.

3.0mph looks really good from here.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    In order to average 3.0 mph with the dog the exercise would have to be called "walking while carrying 60lbs of growling load"

She's older now, so even 3km per hour around the neighborhood is good. Off road it's a different story. And squirrel acquisition speed would rival 100m sprinters
  • estherpotter1
    Options
    Thanks.I might get a fit bit.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

If you don't want to spend the money for a fitbit, Amazon sells a similar watch for $25. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done .
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    You can also take a phone along with an exercise app that measures at least average distance and speed. be careful with calories though as many apps count too many calories. But the first two should be fairly ok.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options

I got a Fitbit this summer and it's really increased my activity. It has become a little mental game I play each day to at least get those steps in. Sometimes I'll say to myself...well, I have an extra 10 minutes right now...lets walk around the neighborhood, etc., .

I love to look at the final result at the end of the day to see how well (or not so well) I've done...