Diet

Options
I have been doing good with my diet up until recently. I like to eat food that makes me feel full, and I do have a tendency to overeat at meals. I am working on healthier eating adding more Whole Foods into my diet and also learning portion control. Do you have have any tips on healthier eating. I always feel like I need to eat a big lunch when I’m at work to help me power through my day that’s something I’m trying to cut back on also.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    If a big lunch works for you, do it. As long as you’re within your calorie goals, you’re golden.

I thought I needed a small breakfast and didn’t alot many calories.

One day it just hit me. Most my workouts are in the morning. I need more fuel. Well, duh!

So now I alot as many calories to breakfast as I do dinner.

There’s no rules here. Only goals!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Another thing, unless you’re talking about a specific way of eating, or a dietary requirement, ditch the word “diet”.

Diet, to me, anyway, implied suffering, something I had to do to get a specific place, and a set of sometimes stupid and arbitrary rules placed by me, on me.

Diet strikes me as a very negative, limiting word, unless you’re using it in a dietician like context.

Minor nitpick, but I’ve discovered along the way I needed to look at words as much as food, and I’ve changed a lot of both.

😘
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    tvdccy2tyk wrote: »
    I have been doing good with my diet up until recently. I like to eat food that makes me feel full, and I do have a tendency to overeat at meals. I am working on healthier eating adding more Whole Foods into my diet and also learning portion control. Do you have have any tips on healthier eating. I always feel like I need to eat a big lunch when I’m at work to help me power through my day that’s something I’m trying to cut back on also.

So there's a few phrases that stood out to me in your post. As far as the overeating, if you are letting yourself get too hungry then you might be putting yourself in a situation where you are needing to eat a larger meal to compensate? Another trick I use is to use a smaller plate. Can't eat too much from a small plate!

Lunch is always fun for me because I work long days, so I eat a sensible lunch that fits into my goals and then bring a small snack to tide me over until dinner (banana, nuts, raisins, cheese, etc).

Also, you can eat a big meal but you just need to plan for it and fit it into your calorie goal.

Just try to experiment with different foods that can keep you full for longer, like proteins, see what works for you. Lot's of ways to get to the finish line you just need to find your way!
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Another thing, unless you’re talking about a specific way of eating, or a dietary requirement, ditch the word “diet”.

Diet, to me, anyway, implied suffering, something I had to do to get a specific place, and a set of sometimes stupid and arbitrary rules placed by me, on me.

Diet strikes me as a very negative, limiting word, unless you’re using it in a dietician like context.

Minor nitpick, but I’ve discovered along the way I needed to look at words as much as food, and I’ve changed a lot of both.

😘

I don't think its a minor nitpick at all as your post addresses a key issue about long term health and weight loss. The most common result of all diets is that that they all fail long term almost all of the time. "Diet" in this context belongs on the **kitten** list and should be replaced with "forever-way-of-eating".
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    tvdccy2tyk wrote: »
    DFW_Tom wrote: »

😘

I don't think its a minor nitpick at all as your post addresses a key issue about long term health and weight loss. The most common result of all diets is that that they all fail long term almost all of the time. "Diet" in this context belongs on the **kitten** list and should be replaced with "forever-way-of-eating".

So I think you all might have not quite understood the context in which I used the word diet. By diet I meant what I consume daily. I work in the animal healthcare field and am used to using terms like that when discussing eating habits. For example when talking to an owner, “Has your pet had any changes in his/her diet recently?” This doesn’t mean the pet is on a diet, it simply means I was asking has it had any dietary changes (in its food or treats.)

My calorie goal is 1,700 daily and I’ve found that it has been working well for me. I don’t restrict what I eat, I just limit the daily calorie intake to 1700. Nothing is set in stone, I may tweak my calorie intake later on depending on my needs. But for now this is what I think is best at this time.

Right, well, I think your on the right track acknowledging you overeat and that you probably eat too much processed food. Yeah, that will do it and pretty easily as well. Whole foods work for me and I'm also lower carb but generally less processed foods are more satiating and more nutrient dense. My split of whole food and processed is probably around 85/15 but I try and stay away from sugary foods because, well, lets just say I can't go down that road. Cheers
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You can for sure have a large lunch if that's what works for you...it just has to fit within your calorie goal.

Can you give an example of what you mean when you say you 'overeat' at meals -- do you mean that once you log your food for the day, you are OVER your goal of 1700? My only suggestion I guess is that I found that eating slower and paying more attention while eating lead to me not becoming overfull feeling. I also know that it's better to not be doing something like binging on Netflix while eating...but I def watch Netflix while I'm eating dinner. But I def try to be present (and paying attention to how my body is feeling) while eating.

When I start my meal I am def hungry feeling. As I eat my meal I try to pay attention to that feeling of hunger level and as it goes down/away I sort of make an assessment of how much food I have left and if I really need to eat all of it or if I can put the leftovers away and eat them later. If I eat too fast, I don't really have time to feel that my hunger has been satiated and I'll just eat everything on my plate, but then 20 min later it will be clear that I ate too much bc I don't feel great.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    In my grocery store the whole foods are on the aisles along the walls.

So mostly I stay out of the middle of the store... :)
  • tvdccy2tyk
    tvdccy2tyk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and advice
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I took my daily calorie goal , subtracted about 300 for a snack and then divided the rest by 3 . So I know how much each meal calorie wise I can have. If that helps.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of soups. Very easy to make, will happily sit in the fridge for several days.
    Mine are usually quite thick so they fill me up, and full of veg. I find its quite difficult to overeat them and endless variety.
    Even if one of my concoctions doesn't taste that great to start with if you chuck enough curry powder in its delicious 😆
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of soups. Very easy to make, will happily sit in the fridge for several days.
    Mine are usually quite thick so they fill me up, and full of veg. I find its quite difficult to overeat them and endless variety.
    Even if one of my concoctions doesn't taste that great to start with if you chuck enough curry powder in its delicious 😆

Many soups freeze well, too.

I don't eat them this time of year, though. My cooking patterns change once I'm no longer using the AC, and again when I start using the heat. I'm getting sick of summer food and am looking forward to soup and food cooked in the oven.

I do a lot with cabbage or cauliflower to bulk meals up for minimal calories.

Here's a Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup that's quite filling and is also good if your sinuses are plugged. To reduce calories, instead of a whole pound of ground pork, I use half ground pork and half turkey sausage. If you plan to freeze some, don't add the bean sprouts to what's going to be frozen.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/98129/hot-and-sour-cabbage-soup/
  • benhmorris63
    benhmorris63 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A calorie goal is important as it needs to fit your body. Each of our bodies are different and regardless of charts and norms, there is a certain weight that our body generally feels best at and maintaining that weight (once you are there) requires a certain number of calories. I have a calorie goal that suits my frame at 5'3" that is less than the average calorie goal for men my age. Losing weight in a simplistic sense is consuming fewer calories than you burn, and you can do this with ANY food. I could do this on a pure M&M diet, but that wouldn't be the healthiest way to go about it. The quality of food is just as important as the quantity of food that you eat AND you need to move your body, even if it's just going for a walk each day (check out the concept of zone 2 cardio - it's a game changer!).

Using MyFitnessPal, I started paying more attention to the nutrients it tracks (what my body needs) and build my meals around that. Quality food choices supply these in abundance whereas junk food and processed foods typically don't. I found that by working to hit the nutrient targets, by default I would hit the larger macro targets and the calorie target. My morning starts with a workout followed by a large calorie breakfast (+-700). I then build out what I want to eat for the rest of the day seeing how each choice affects the total picture of calories, macros, and nutrients. I use the feature in the app to breakout my calories by meal to help to keep me on track.

My typical day-to-day choices include a mix of egg whites, A.M. Rxbars, oatmeal, protein shake (almond milk, banana, protein powder (Garden of Life or Levels)), blueberries, strawberries, spinach, avocados, Owyn or Jocko Protein Shakes, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, flavored tuna pouches, chicken, mixed nuts, a salad, a meal of some sort from either Blue Apron or Hello Fresh, salmon, hummus, and maybe a Yasso Greek Yogurt bar (great ice cream substitute). I try to keep my overall diet healthy but do not deny myself the exceptional choice of a good pizza or a glass of wine with a cheese board if I want. It's the rule that matters here and exceptions are fine as long as they don't become the rule! I do find that for me, my exercise and healthy diet go hand in hand. If I'm slacking on one, I'm usually slacking on the other.

I wrote more than I intended but I hope there is something in here of value to someone. I believe wholeheartedly in good nutrition and exercise, and I believe that it can cure a lot of what ails most folks physically. Combine that with a good spiritual life and you will be amazed at how good life can be!
  • HollysJourney0823
    HollysJourney0823 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a lot to fill full as well. I definitely have a long way to go on my journey. I do love overnight oats with berries, a banana and some granola crunch for breakfast. This is very filling and holds me off until lunch. I’m trying to focus on veggies and water before I decide what to go with them for each meal.
  • MrsWhitt115
    MrsWhitt115 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get in 8,000 - 10,000 steps
    Drink lots of water
    Prioritize protein intake -especially if you’re having trouble staying full.
    Consider counting your macros and not just calories.
    Eat Whole Foods, less man made foods.
    Intermittent fasting helps (consult dr if needed).

Hope that helps! 🙂💪🏻 You got this!