Frustrated

Options
What can you do if you are on a very low calorie diet and still don’t see any weight loss? Any recommendations?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    If it's been less than 4-6 weeks, go on at least that long to see what happens on average . . . unless you get weak or fatigued. If that happens, eat more.

Riverside's right, but it can take a few weeks to see the true average per week effect.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    If you're new trying to lose weight.. finding your way can be frustrating. Spend time on here reading through the forums to see what people are doing that is working.

You shouldn't have to suffer .. starve.. and feel weak to lose weight.

Many of us do it by moving a lot more.. and eating a bit less ..and changing our food choices to fresh Whole Foods.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    What's low? How much do you have to lose?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You would be losing if you were on a very low calorie diet.

I aggree completely. However you might not see it regularly on the scales. Usually for me my weight drops once a month in big chunks. The rest of the month it is in fact pretty level fluctuating up and down by 200gr.

So OP like others have mentioned if it has been less than a month wait it out. I have had one or two occasions where I dropped only after 6 weeks eating at a deficit. I dropped all the expected amount (like a few kgs) but man was it frustrating. If you KNOW from careful measuring and diligent logging that you are on a deficit then wait. If you are unsure, start measuring more carefully.
  • Mark031111
    Mark031111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Incorporate regular exercise into your routine. Building muscle through strength training can boost your metabolism and aid in weight loss
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    mariatfrnc wrote: »
    What can you do if you are on a very low calorie diet and still don’t see any weight loss? Any recommendations?

How long have you been on this diet, how tall are you, and how low are the calories?

Possibly the most important thing - are you weighing all the things you eat, measuring all the things you drink, and did you find accurate database entries? Most of them are actually wrong, so always check against either the manufacturer label or the FDA website listing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    We really need a lot more information from you. Do answer the questions above and also change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    mariatfrnc wrote: »

It looks like you just joined yesterday, so welcome!

How long have you been tracking your calories you are eating? What are your stats (current height, weight, goal weight, etc)? How many calories a day is "very low"?

There are pinned posts in the Welcome Section for new users, I'd start there if you have some questions, too.

Good luck! Let us know how we can help!
  • mariatfrnc
    mariatfrnc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was on a very specific 1200 diet a doctor put me in and followed the meal plan. I’m over 200 lbs so for sure I would think that it will help with my weight loss. Any lower and I’d think it would be way too low for me. It’s currently sustainable for me because I increase the protein and it helps to keep me fuller despite only 1200 calories. I read somewhere that it can be due to being too insulin resistant.. anyone heard of this? Any thoughts ? I also do steady State cardio like walking or dancing for at least 45 minutes sometimes longer daily since I’ve started the diet. That’s why I’m confused as to why is going in. I follow the portions and track it. What gives??
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant - that's type 2 diabetes, btw - and I've lost almost 100 lb.

Do you weigh all your food and you know the actual weight that a single serving of each food should be?
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of fresh veggies with a large variety. Some lightly cooked/sautéed and some raw. Have some protein with them too. You need bulk in your food and lots of food.
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If your eating very little calories and not losing weight it means that your eating too low sometimes our body holds onto fat longer bc it’s starving it might come off eventually. Also keep in mind that, it takes a few weeks to see weight loss sometimes so I don’t know how long you been in a deficit. I would try also taking a diet break, go to maintenance for 2 weeks and then go back on the deficit you should lose weight again
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Do you put your food on a digital food scale and log it by the ounces or grams?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    lillyy23 wrote: »
    If your eating very little calories and not losing weight it means that your eating too low sometimes our body holds onto fat longer bc it’s starving it might come off eventually. Also keep in mind that, it takes a few weeks to see weight loss sometimes so I don’t know how long you been in a deficit. I would try also taking a diet break, go to maintenance for 2 weeks and then go back on the deficit you should lose weight again

Human bodies don't work this way... it takes a certain number of calories per day just to stay alive, not to mention powering anything you do beyond the scope of staying alive. If a person does not eat the number of calories needed to power the daily calorie expenditure, the body will ALWAYS make up the difference from stored energy sources like glycogen, fat and protein.

Your body may 'down-regulate' certain processes like nail and hair growth, you may become lethargic and sleepy, but as long as you are breathing, your body will be burning what ever calories it has to maintain that state.