Lady wanting to gain weight

Options
Hi, i am back on mfp after a long time because i need to gain weight. I am 60 years old, hold too much weight on my waist but overall am quite slim. I recently changed to a dairy free diet due to an intolerance but 4 weeks on i have lost alot of weight which i am really upset about as i was not heavy to start with. I am 5 ft, now weigh 7stone 1lb and my goal is to gain a pound a week up to about 7 12. I am a cleaner and walk home, this gives me 3 and a half hours of activity 5 days a week. My problem is i am really struggling to hit my calorie goal because my exercise adds on a fair wack. I obviously need to do this is a healthy fashion but i am really struggling. Any one else got advice? i just cant eat the quantity i need to.
Tagged:

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    You commented on the other thread about the advice appearing to suggest people need to eat junk foods: it’s not essential but sometimes junk foods are hyper palatable and higher in calories, so easier to eat.

The advice for how to gain weight depends on the issue to be honest. If you struggle to eat volume then higher calorie non-bulky foods are your friend (think olive oil - great as a dip with bread, avocado, seeds, nuts, full fat dairy free yoghurts, coconut milk base for curries etc). If it’s timing / you’re too busy, then changing your eating times and patterns may help. If it’s food palatability, then foods you can eat easily are good and sometimes junk food like cakes, biscuits, pizzas can help there.

Some people find shakes easy to drink and you can make a “dirty” shake which includes a lot of calories, using a milk substitute (as you said you can’t eat dairy), protein powder, nut butter, and even ice cream.

Smaller changes can be made by picking fattier cuts of meat or fish (salmon is a lot higher in calories than cod, chicken thighs are higher calorie than breast), using oil to cook with, butter on vegetables and just ensuring you set a timer to snack on things like nuts.

So no you don’t have to eat junk food, but for those desperate to get calories in, it can be useful.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m a little one too. 5’1 and maintain at 7st-to 7st 7 (98-105 lbs).
    Don’t try gaining a pound a week. That is way too fast for a person of out size. You will end up with a lot of fat and it will probably accumulate around your waist.
    Two reasons for that. 1) from your posts that is where you tend to carry extra fat genetically (I’m the same) and 2) you are post menopause and with the change in hormones we can tend to carry less subcutaneous fat around our whole body and more abdominal and visceral fat.

Up your cals by 150-250 and aim for a slow gain. With the exercise you are getting cleaning you are probably getting a good allround work out so concentrate on engaging your abs as you work, it does help.
    (If all else fails think of the old bellybutton to spine)

@claireychn074 has given good ideas for upping cals.

Don’t think of junk, good vs bad, think of fulfilling your nutritional needs and, if you have them covered, something high carb but low in other nutrients, including a nice piece of cake, fulfills you goal of weigh gain (which for you is a health goal) without taking from you main nutritional goals.

As a really easy but expensive way of adding some cals Ensure or Boost is a full meal replacement and some come in at ~250cals.
    They do a condensed version for those who don’t have a large appetite. (My appetite suits my weight that’s how maintaining it is relatively easy)

Cheers, h.

• jadorex40x
    jadorex40x Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi both, thank you for replying, i have made my food diary public, what if anything am i doing wrong? please be kind .... :/