Help with a leniant workout.

Options
jdcoleman77
jdcoleman77 Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello to all! Long story short, I have severe depression disorder, ADHD and hate having a "dadbod" as people call it. I've grown self aware of my belly growing, especially after i eat, and it makes me depressed. I want a leniant routine that will help me lose the dad bod and keep my mentally and physically healthy. However, I do not want to work out to tone my body out, or body build, but to remove the excess fat. To regulate all of this, what are some good routines, workouts, diets, etc.?
Tagged:

Replies

• elizabethg_39
    elizabethg_39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I also live with anxiety and depression disorders and finding a workout that I felt motivated to start and maintain was really hard.

I watched sale prices on Amazon and found a reasonably priced walking pad to put in my home office. It's been a game changer. I started by walking a mile or two when I felt like it and it's morphed into 4-5 miles a day. Walking burns calories without being overly strenuous (so I didn't need *that* much motivation to do it) and I was able to walk from the comfort of my home without having to get dressed in workout clothes and be at the gym around people (which is a nightmare when I'm feeling anxious.) I walk at a pace where I can look at my phone or watch a show and it feels good to burn calories while doing something I'd normally be doing from couch or bed.

Good luck on here! You're not alone :)
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    The thing is, if you work out you'll put on muscle somewhere. It may not show, but it will be there. Even ridng my exercise bike at a slow speed and low resistance, I have developed some improved thigh strength which means muscle.

Walking non-stop, just regular walking, or riding and exercise bike at an average but steady speed are good ways to get some exercise, burn some calories, and most probably lose a little of the fat while gaining a small amount of muscle you won't notice.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Use the MFP app and this website to establish some targets and log your food. You don't need special diets, just make informed choices when you see the nutrition breakdowns of the food you eat. Combine a bit of weight loss with anything that uses your core and that should start tightening up the tummy. As mentioned above, walking is good exercise. I have an elliptical machine at home where I can watch tv and use it almost every day. I like swimming too as a great whole body exercise, but not everybody is into that. Good luck!
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Dad bods are awesome :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You are onto something important: being active doesn't require pumping iron in a gym.

You can simply take a walk while listening to a podcast or ebook. Or, even better, start walking regularly with a friend.