Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Things missing in the app

Options
j3mu0zdd4v0f.png
Since I have started using the myFitness Pal app, I have loved the features it has and the way we can track our journey. However, I do have few things that I want to bring as suggestions for app improvement.
1. The app does not provide the right name for the food which is scanned directly which I know is hard to achieve but since this option is there, it needs a lot of improvement.
2. Many of the same food has multiple entries with different macros for home cooked food or something which we are not able to scan.
3. There is a brand Pioneer store in Artesia, CA which has their own lentils and other food items. I would love to see if their barcodes can be added in the system because when I scan them in app, it shows invalid.
4. There is the option to add food and its macros manually but there is no name field for the same so we can save the same and use it next time. Attached is the screenshot for the same.
5. Lastly, there should be an option to scan or manually search and save the foods in the lost someway so that wr don’t have to rely on the meal consumption day if we have anything pre planned for someday
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• JilliejamOne
    JilliejamOne Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have only one issue with the exercise videos. I would love more beginner videos plus not having to get on the floor. I have bad knees and back. So getting off the floor I am a turtle. Plus I can’t get on my knees - need replacement but doctors want to wait another year. So floor exercises are out! You have a lot of floor exercises.

Hopefully someone will read this
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 732 MFP Staff
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions! I am going to try and address each of your points below:

1. If you scan an item but find that the wrong food is returned, you can change the association of that barcode to the correct food in our database. Once you've scanned the barcode, scroll to the bottom of the food detail screen and tap "Not correct? Find a better match". Then type the name of the correct food into the search box. Once you find the correct match, tap on it and add it to your diary. This will change the association of that barcode to the correct food for all users, and the next time you scan that barcode, the correct food will appear.

2. If the correct item is not in our database, it must be added to the full public database of foods on MyFitnessPal before a barcode can be associated with it. If manually searching the database, you may notice several results - this is because our users can create entries and add them to the database.

3. It's definitely possible to teach our database to connect a UPC symbol to any food item in the database.

In our latest Android, iPhone, and iPads apps, if you scan a barcode that is unknown, you will be given the option to create a public entry in our database for the missing food item. After entering all of the nutrition data, that public entry will be linked to the barcode you scanned.

If you do create a new food, be sure to check the box at the bottom of the second screen, next to Yes, let other MyFitnessPal members use this food. This will make the food item "public" and allow all users to find it when searching our database.

Once the food item is in our database and set to "public," you may scan the UPC symbol for that food using your mobile device. The app may find that the UPC symbol is already connected to a food item. If this is the wrong food item, scroll down and tap the "Find a Better Match" button. Then you may type the name of the food item to perform a search of our database, and link the UPC code to that item. If the UPC code is not already connected to a food item, you should be taken directly to a search area where you may search for the food that belongs to the UPC code.

4. Thank you for the great suggestion involving an option to rename Quick Add entries in your Diary. We will definitely consider it for a future update.

5. If there are meals you use pretty consistently, you may want to consider creating your own Meals for easier access. Steps on how to do this can be found here.
  • Jean
    Jean Posts: 732 MFP Staff
    Options
    I have only one issue with the exercise videos. I would love more beginner videos plus not having to get on the floor. I have bad knees and back. So getting off the floor I am a turtle. Plus I can’t get on my knees - need replacement but doctors want to wait another year. So floor exercises are out! You have a lot of floor exercises.

Hopefully someone will read this

Thank you for your recommendation! I will pass this along to the appropriate team to consider for a future update.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Jean wrote: »
    1. If you scan an item but find that the wrong is returned, you can change the association of that barcode to the correct food in our database. Once you've scanned the barcode, scroll to the bottom of the food detail screen and tap "Not correct? Find a better match". Then type the name of the correct food into the search box. Once you find the correct match, tap on it and add it to your diary. This will change the association of that barcode to the correct food for all users, and the next time you scan that barcode, the correct food will appear.

I’m using iOS 16.6.1 on iPhone 13. I tried reporting the food and correcting the data, and I tried linking it to a correct entry in the database, but the bar code scan still links to the wrong data for the portion size.

Not to mention that I paid for a membership so the bar code scanner could make things faster, not to type in all the data every time. Bar codes should be from the manufacturer and validated, not random member entries.

If we correct entries, we should at least get some credit toward the coat of membership.
  • angelsai
    angelsai Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    With the introduction of the Keto/low calorie/ Mediterranean & the fast 800 intermittent diet, it would be nice if the daily diary could be completed without the message saying you’re not eating enough. I realise that the message is required, but it would be useful to still complete the diary i.e 800 calories & still get an indication of the potential progress
  • angelsai
    angelsai Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It would be useful for the recipes created , there was an option to view the ingredients & quantities & notes on how to make the recipe