my accountability thread Day one

Options

Replies

• gregphopkins
    gregphopkins Posts: 23 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Seems like I'm the only male blundering about in this space. But, hell, I'll post. Reminds me of that old joke, if a man says something in the woods and there's nobody there to hear him, is he still wrong? Struggling like hell lately with a dull mood, unenergized, back/QL muscle has been hurting. That means exercise goes soft, and that means dopamine levels tend to tank.

Last night, did some stress eating. Not real bad, though I thought about totally going off the rails. But, you know, maybe a couple hundred calories worth of damage. Today was odd. I ate my normal breakfast which totaled around 260 calories. Lunch time, I just wasn't hungry. I ate a small chunk of raw green cabbage just for general purposes. Made a proper dinner, purple sweet potatoes with coconut oil, cooked beets, some roasted chicken. Ate around 7:15, and I ate the hell out of things, but still a fairly low cal day. The popup came on when I tried to complete the day's log; "shame on your *kitten*, looks like you're not eating enough." Whatever. Tonight, snapping out of it a bit. Hope for a good day tomorrow. The weight, the goddamn weight. Hanging tough, not much change in a week or two, trying to get down another five give or take.

I admit it. Men are like this too. I'm seeing a friend in 15 days, haven't seen him in person for I guess 4 years, want to lose the gut. Hate to show up looking like I'm hiding a basketball under my shirt.
  • BeverlyW1108
    BeverlyW1108 Posts: 493 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Marla86336 wrote: »
    Good morning, here it is the start of another month. There is 4.2# less of me than on 8/1. I'm coming down the home stretch. I am going to stay on track for the month of September. Who wants to join me?
    Beverly: down 2.4# in one week is wonderful. Good for you!
    Being consistent (even when the motivation wanes) wins the race. (Heard this on YouTube)

Marla! Yes! Let's make September our Best Month Yet~
    But now confession time,,, hubby came home with Crumbl cookies Friday. He thinks because we weigh in on Friday that we can overeat and lose those calories before next Friday! Yes, but that is to maintain :/
    And for me I believe it when they say sugar makes my body crave more sugar because I keep eating after the cookies, bread and butter or butter crackers for me~ Anyway, that is history. Today starts a new day and a new week. We are going to the gym this morning so I will be nice and sore for tomorrow's run!!!

Welcome Greg! It is nice to have a man's point of view.

Have a Super Sunday!
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Welcome Greg! happy to have you here. Gosh, I know what you mean when you go off the rails and and think....well heck I might as well TOTALLY go off the rails. Hate that but sounds like you are turning it around. Beverly and Marla! So happy your scales are going in the right direction! Beverly 2.4 pounds in one week? That is something. Yes, lets make september our month when we can lose 3-5 pounds. I am down one pound from last week and that is a big win for me. I have not had a binge in over 2 weeks and I feel so much better. Has anyone watched the documentary on Netflix about the Blue Zone and living until 100? It is really good and very motivating. Have a great Sunday everyone. Keep eating healthy.
  • gregphopkins
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Going in the wrong direction, up a pound today, up three from my lowest point. Discouraging. Indulged a bit with some dark chocolate and three Brazil nuts, still under the calorie recommendation, yet it seems that in order to dial back, it is going to require dealing with some hunger and cravings which I'm resisting.

I wouldn't mind the weight per se if the inches were coming off, but I am plateaued right now and clothes fit about the same. And, on the other hand, don't want to add stress and frustration. I'm fortunate to be in this body, and things function pretty well. Discontent is worse than five extra pounds. A positive for today, my back, actually the QL muscle band, is better now so I can increase activity. Am I posting in the wrong place? This is a reply to a long stream of replies, not a new thread.
  • gregphopkins
    Options
    Update: the initial reading this morning, 177.6, was an illusion. After breakfast, oddly, it was down to around 173.6. Clothes this morning must have been heavy. Feeling better and also determined. Rather pissed off at this body. Sluggish, hurting, not serving me all that well.
    Didn't Blue Zone mention Sardinia? They live routinely to 100 there. Have you been? It's an all nighter on a small and really old cruise ship, from Rome. You wake up in your tiny sleeping room and go get coffee, then deboard in Cagliari. Very hot in the summer, quite beautiful, many small vacation cottages with tiled patios rather than yards. The people there are very immersed in their local culture which is ancient. Unique, and not really livable for a foreigner, but worth visiting. Beaches get crazy in the height of summer. I'd like to go again and explore the island more. It's a big island.
  • Marla86336
    Marla86336 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Still on track which means for me, eating at or under 1260 calories and one hour of walking or 30 minutes on the rebounder (trampoline). I was recently reminded that for me,
    1260 calories is my limit NOT my target. In other words I don't have to eat 1260 calories if I am not hungry. Personally, I won't starve to death if I'm under 1260 once in a while.
    Hope everyone has a great Monday/holiday.
  • sarah7591
    Options
    @greg.....nice update!! I get what you mean about discontent. I feel lucky that my body is still doing strong at 66! So many don't have that opportunity you know. Have well out lived my father and when i think of it i feel blessed to have each day.
    Marla...great on keeping at 1260 calories! I honestly don't count the calories because I make so many of my own meals not sure how to put that all in the calculator for MFP. I pretty much concentrate on eating whole foods and find I really don't overeat if I get enough protein.
    Today family is coming over for steaks. I don't eat meat (well rarely) so I'll have other things.
    @greg...never been to any of the Blue Zones but I do admire the way they eat. All fresh vegetables....that is a role model for me. Have a great Monday everyone. I check in on Mondays and today I was down 1 lb. I have 4 to go!
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Was away this weekend camping. Had typical camping food, hubby did the grilling. Had s’mores. Overate…. 3 days of almost no cell service to keep track of foods in food diary.
    Hubby’s doing the driving home right now while I try to enter foods in today that I’ve eaten so far.
    One good thing about this weekend was getting in 1 or 2 hikes per day of which a few were 2 milers. Definitely got at least 10,000 steps in each of these last 3 days.
  • gregphopkins
    Options
    173.8 on the scales today. Don't know why it was reading over 177 yesterday. I'm within spittin' distance of my goal. For breakfast I changed it up and had a half of a square of tofu, sliced and fried, with some zucchini. Some ricotta di capra cheese (do they have this in the States? Can't remember; very creamy and good, pretty low cal). Three walnuts, which I didn't log. About 350 calories. Last night I had millet, very good, with mushrooms cooked in it. Stirred in some left-over purple sweet potatoes and the whole mess was actually very good and filling. Going to Budapest on the 15th, planning on a gym visit and lots of walking, maybe a bike trip. Friend is coming, very into fitness and lean eating, good not to be with a slow-moving chow hound. Back is better. Got on the Concept 2 rower for 22 minutes last night, and a bike trip. Don't log my fitness into this app, too much work, but try to do something each day.
  • BeverlyW1108
    Options
    Good Morning Friends!

Greg, I love this: Discontent is worse than five extra pounds. And yes, you are in the right thread, keep coming back! Btw, did you say where you live, sounds like you are over the ocean from the U.S.?
    Marla, Thanks for the reminder about the calorie "limit", not the goal, I need to hear that occasionally.
    Daria, sounds like lots of fun on your camping trip. Camping in the great outdoors always makes me hungry! And not for salad! Welcome home.
    Sarah, sounds like you are doing Great! Keep up the good work! We don't get Netflix but I will google the show and some of the places you and Greg mentioned.
    Me, I've been doing really good since my binge on Friday. Today is my first run with my coaches instructions so wish me luck, it sounds a little harder than my usual runs. Sarah, have you been swimming?

Have a Nice Day!
  • daria0919
    Options
    Good Morning Friends!

Greg, I love this: Discontent is worse than five extra pounds. And yes, you are in the right thread, keep coming back! Btw, did you say where you live, sounds like you are over the ocean from the U.S.?
    Marla, Thanks for the reminder about the calorie "limit", not the goal, I need to hear that occasionally.
    Daria, sounds like lots of fun on your camping trip. Camping in the great outdoors always makes me hungry! And not for salad! Welcome home.
    Sarah, sounds like you are doing Great! Keep up the good work! We don't get Netflix but I will google the show and some of the places you and Greg mentioned.
    Me, I've been doing really good since my binge on Friday. Today is my first run with my coaches instructions so wish me luck, it sounds a little harder than my usual runs. Sarah, have you been swimming?

Have a Nice Day!

Wishing you luck with your run!!

• sarah7591
    Options
    @Beverly ....yes i have been swimming. I have been going 2-3 times a week. I can't wait to hear how your running coach instructions go! I do miss running but I usually walk every day or at least several times a week.
    @Darla - your camping trip sounds fun. We are going (well we rented a small cabin) to Great Smokies in October and I cannot wait.
    Today sure seems like Monday (with the holiday in there). Have a great week everyone!
  • SweetHeart299
    SweetHeart299 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Felt I was really doing well until last evening when we went to the show with friends. I walked past the concession stand and didn’t get any popcorn even though I was feeling some hungry. Dinner was a disaster and ended up with a 1000 calorie dinner😖 As I think upon my menu choices, there was not really anything on the menu that was calorie friendly other than salads. I did log my meal and I think it gives me more incentive to be more cautious. It is a new month and a new day and intend to stick with it. For my own good, I need to loose weight.
    Congratulations to everyone who had losses.
    Marla I will give it a try to weigh in on Wednesday mornings. I need to get back into the routine. I think will also critique my activities; as mentioned before getting out for walks is not always easy especially with the arthritis. But I need to come up with a plan before being housebound because winter snow.
    I am going to also track this month with my goal being a 1-2 lb loss :)
  • Marla86336
    Marla86336 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.
    Wednesday weigh-in day: -1.1#
    I have been consistent with my calorie limit and walking and it showed by the scale results this morning.
    Looking forward to another week of healthy eating and walking.
    Good thoughts and weight loss to everyone who is on the September journey together.

• BeverlyW1108
    Options
    Good Thursday Morning to All,
    Friday is my, and hubby's, weigh in day and he is already planning to have a big calorie fest! Steak, potato, cookies and ice cream. My plan is to see how many calories I can have and average the rest of the week using a minimum and stay under my lose 1/2 pound a week goal. W!!ish me luck! Going for a run this morning.
    I hope everyone has a nice day!
  • daria0919
    Options
    This is the time of day I just want to eat everything in sight!!! Ugh!!!
    I went for a walk in this miserable heat to try to distract me. Came home and here the urge goes again. Frustrating…. X
  • gregphopkins
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Greg here checking in. This thread is a needle in a haystack to find. Bookmarked it, saved it, hopefully that works. Beverly asked where I live. I'm over in Italy on the north edge of Lake Como. I lived in Portland, OR and kept going east until I found an affordable neighborhood and wound up here. Portland sure turned into a dangerous mess. Glad I got out.

Struggling some with boredom eating. I often get to this place, probably low dopamine from ADHD, where I have no real problems, things are taken care of, and the world is bleak and empty rather than ripe with excitement. It's like, what the hell am I doing here. Loaded on an extra 350 calories last night getting into peanut butter, etc. Guess I'll start again today as if it's the first day. Still plateaued at 174ish. About three inches of flab around the waist, not horrible but seems like I could move the dial a bit. Made a good soup the other day--red lentils, leeks, shallots, carrots, celery, and some good curry powder I got in Seattle. A good simple soup. Had that last night with steamed squash with coconut oil.

Plugging away, home alone with the dog for a while. Daily chores. Not too much going on. Glad I'm fairly healthy. OK, on to the day. search term to make this easier to find TK
  • BeverlyW1108
    Options
    Good Morning All!
    Greg, I book marked this thread and I see I have 3 bookmarks on the side of the page. I just click on that and here I am. It did take me time to figure the system, but it is quick now. A man I worked with moved back to San Vito Lo Capo, Italy (at least that's where he ran on the Strava App). Is that anywhere near you? It looks gorgeous.
    Today is weigh in and I was a little disappointed I lost .4 from last Friday. It's better than nothing, but dang I was hungry this week. I think I've got my calories figured where I can eat extra today(steak and potato day!) and tomorrow (granddaughter's softball game out of town) and eat 1200 the rest of the week and be at my lose 1/2-week calorie goal. Lots of calculating for my little brain :/

Have a Nice Weekend!
  • gregphopkins
    Options
    Hi Bev, no San Vito Lo Capo is over 1,000 miles away right on the toe of the boot. I have not been in that region at all. Italy is absolutely huge and packed with thousands of things worth visiting and experiencing. I'm a couple hours from Switzerland, and Frankfort, Germany is a several hour drive north. Thousands of Germans come here for vacations and many own homes here. Each region has a very different history, different typical foods, different dialects and customs. The degree of cultural differences within a fairly short distance is a huge change from the States. Switzerland feels entirely different than here and they speak their own kind of German. Rome feels way different than Milan. Venice is it's own unique thing. We went to Bolzano last Christmas with my daughter and the town used to be in Austria and everything is in German.
  • sarah7591
    Options
    Hi All: I hope you are all doing well Greg....Italy....oh my I am so jealous. I have only been there once and I felt I was living in a movie it was absolutely beautiful. Sorry you are getting discouraged but keep on pushing. Beverly and least the scale went down and not up.
    Darla - sometimes when I have the urge to eat I will eat a protein bar. If I am still hungry after that I set a timer for 30 minutes and if I am still hungry after that I will eat something. Majority of time after the 30 minutes I have forgotten about being hungry. Just sharing what works for me.
    I have been doing well. I have been eating healthy for close to 3 weeks now and exercising. I feel so good but sleep is still not that great. I have no big plans for the weekend. I will walk tomorrow and do yard work which keeps me busy. I hope you all have a great weekend and thank you for checking in.