59yrs and still striving

Options
Hi there,
Not sure what to say, so here is s little of my ride this year. I'm 59 years old, started this journey in Feb, been on WW since March, started the gym (first time ever) in June and now MFP in September. Quite the journey. So many people suggested MFP when I started strength training to build muscle, strength, balance etc. After tracking in both apps for a few weeks, I found I wasn't getting enough calories or protein despite eating healthy and eating all my points and weeklies. I found I just needed to be in a calorie deficit and keep an eye on my macros more than I needed to watch my points. I have since upped my calories to 300 on the weekend and 500 per workout days, then gave it 3 weeks for my body to adjust. Last week I stayed the same and lo and behold this week I lost .9, almost a pound. So here I am. MFP is changing my journey a bit and I'm loving it. That's a little about me, besides at 59 yrs, this girl still loves rock and rap, paranormal shows and makes wreaths as a hobby.

Starting Weight 360
Current Weight 289.1
Loss -70.9

Replies

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,063 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the MyFitnessPal Community!
  • terrylyn1729
    terrylyn1729 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nova wrote: »
    Hello and welcome to the MyFitnessPal Community!

Thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    59 as well and I try to contribute as much as I have time for to the community I've been with since 2011.

Keep it up and stay consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

I started calorie counting at age 59 when I committed (finally!) to managing my weight. In about a year, I went from class 1 obese, and have been at a healthy weight since, now age 67. That was after decades of overweight/obesity.

If calorie counting suits you, it can be a great tool for moving toward success. It's not the only way to lose weight, but it's IMO a very practical method.

Best wishes!