Nutrition Hacks

Options
What are some tips, tricks, or tools that help you achieve your fitness goals nutritionally?

I no longer drink juice or soda. But I do miss the taste at times. So I drink sparkling water and that does the trick. But if I need some flavor, I blend up a small amount of fruits and add the sparkling water.

Like having soda but without chemicals and junk.

Replies

• benhmorris63
    benhmorris63 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are on a good track!

I started phasing out drinks with sugars several years back. I switched from sweet tea to unsweet, stopped drinking soft drinks, and switched my coffee to honey instead of sugar. I did flavored water for a while which helped with the transition. It was a gradual change but I eventually I got to where I wanted to be. Nowadays I drink a lot of water, but still like my coffee, sometimes with just a little creamer or oat milk and/or honey. On occasion, a soft drink still tastes good with a burger, but it's rare that I drink one.

I also started eating healthier foods and less non-healthy foods. It was a journey, but I developed good habits that serve my body much better now. I still eat foods that have less overall value, but they are the exception now and not the rule.

A big help for me has been focusing on the nutrients that MyFitnessPal more than the macros and calories. While I still have targets for the others, focusing on the nutrients tends to bring those into alignment.

Good luck on your journey!
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 843 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Not sure if this counts but I make sure I save enough calories for a treat so I won’t feel deprived. I don’t like the idea of a “cheat day” because it comes with a negative connotation and guilt. You’re not doing anything wrong by enjoying something, just save room for it and count it 😊 This life hack changed everything for me. As well as IF but that’s another topic.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My newest hack: My coworker keeps a bowl of fun size Butterfingers outside her office that I have to walk past a dozen times a day. Many days I'll grab one. I decided to research fun size chocolate candies and figured out that M&Ms have about 1/3 less calories and 1/2 the fat of a Butterfinger. Soooo now I have my own stash of fun size M&Ms in my desk. Whenever I walk past the butterfingers and want one, I have some M&Ms instead. I'm probably shaving off 180-300+ calories per week doing this.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've had to make a lot of changes because I was a carb & sugar addict/binge eater and couldn't control myself. I now abstain from all kinds of added sugars, most sweeteners, all grains, carby veggies & fruits so I had to find new things to satisfy me.

I've found a lot of buffer food options that keep me happy, replacing all my trigger foods.

Changed mashed potatoes, high carb veggies, or smothering things in creamy flour-thickened gravies --> a cauliflower mash I like (sometimes I eat it like mash potato; sometimes I mix it with the meat/stew juices to thicken them up).

When I get the crunch munchies & want potato chips, crackers, popcorn, etc. ---> about an oz of pork rinds satisfies that craving. I know pork rinds aren't great health-wise but an oz of pork rinds vs. a bag of chips or sleeve of crackers makes them the best choice.

Ice cream & frozen treats ---> a half cup of cottage cheese or greek yogurt (no sugar added) with some berries. Sometimes I'll make frozen yogurt w/stevia.

My former favorite breakfast of peanut butter on white bread toast --> nut butter flourless/sugarless bread (home baked, very easy recipe) with a smear of unsweetened cashew or almond butter.

Any kind of sandwich that would require bread --> nut butter or egg white bread (flourless/sugarless). I can even do grilled cheese with it.

Pizza --> swap out crust for an egg white crust I make. Can do the same thing for lasagna, just make the egg white sheets thinner.

Tomato soup/jar tomato sauces --> crushed unsweetened tomatoes blended, heated, & thinned out with cream.

Pasta --> zucchini 'noodles'

Cookies ---> meringue macarons using a little artificial sweetener & cocoa powder.

Pancakes, waffles, tortillas, or anything along that line --> egg white cloud versions

Fried chicken --> chicken fingers breaded with PORQ (a pork rind carb-free breading) and baked or air fried.

PBJ - same nut butter bread with smear of unsweetened nut butter & no sugar added fruit preserves.

Chocolate/candies --> brown butter bites (browned butter blended w/water & unflavored/unsweetened gelatin & a touch of stevia, then chilled). Or sometimes I treat myself to a keto or Atkins bar or something like that, but I do that sparingly as it can be a little triggery.

Soda --> unsweetened seltzers & a scoop of my fruity electrolyte supplement.

My coffee has changed the most over the years, it went from 3/4 tsp sugar & about a quarter cup of milk ---> 2 splenda & quarter cup of half & half ---> 1 spenda w/half&half ---> no splenda, no half & half, w/2 tbsp of heavy cream. Or sometimes I have a 'fatty latte' (stick blender to mix & foam up butter in hot black coffee).

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    My newest hack: My coworker keeps a bowl of fun size Butterfingers outside her office that I have to walk past a dozen times a day. Many days I'll grab one. I decided to research fun size chocolate candies and figured out that M&Ms have about 1/3 less calories and 1/2 the fat of a Butterfinger. Soooo now I have my own stash of fun size M&Ms in my desk. Whenever I walk past the butterfingers and want one, I have some M&Ms instead. I'm probably shaving off 180-300+ calories per week doing this.

Not all heros wear capes. And you, my friend, are a hero.
  • ockimba
    ockimba Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I make sure I plan and prep most of my foods on Sunday for the week. So, I cook protein ahead (chicken/fish/lean beef or pork) then prep but dont cook-a vegetable (whatever is on sale), and a whole grain carb or potato(cooked in air fryer).
    I go mellow on seasonings, so that I can use them in whatever dish Im craving. Sometimes Mexican, Asian, or Mediterranean. I do not buy many pre-packaged or processed foods as a rule, and I don’t buy things that I know I shouldn’t eat. If it’s there-it’s a temptation, and too easy to get to! 🤣 It keeps me from getting hungry and not feeling like cooking, or grabbing something unhealthy for lack of time or laziness. 👌🏼😊
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Conventional wisdom is all over the place regarding how long to go between meals, whether to snack. Experiment to see what works for you.

After literally decades of never snacking during the work day and not eating breakfast on work days, I set a daily protein macro goal for myself. There was simply no way for me to get there without spacing it out throughout the day. I started eating breakfast and bringing snacks. I have snacks roughly at the midpoint between meals times and also drink a protein shake on the way home from work. Getting overly hungry in the past led me to fast food drive throughs and weight gain. It is a lot easier for me to make good meal choices now. It is working for me despite being in opposition to intermittent fasting which is currently popular.
  • cdennis9154
    cdennis9154 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I like it. These steps are important. Build your tolerance and discipline. Then look for Even healthier alternatives to reach for.
  • cdennis9154
    cdennis9154 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've had to make a lot of changes because I was a carb & sugar addict/binge eater and couldn't control myself. I now abstain from all kinds of added sugars, most sweeteners, all grains, carby veggies & fruits so I had to find new things to satisfy me.

I've found a lot of buffer food options that keep me happy, replacing all my trigger foods.

Changed mashed potatoes, high carb veggies, or smothering things in creamy flour-thickened gravies --> a cauliflower mash I like (sometimes I eat it like mash potato; sometimes I mix it with the meat/stew juices to thicken them up).

When I get the crunch munchies & want potato chips, crackers, popcorn, etc. ---> about an oz of pork rinds satisfies that craving. I know pork rinds aren't great health-wise but an oz of pork rinds vs. a bag of chips or sleeve of crackers makes them the best choice.

Ice cream & frozen treats ---> a half cup of cottage cheese or greek yogurt (no sugar added) with some berries. Sometimes I'll make frozen yogurt w/stevia.

My former favorite breakfast of peanut butter on white bread toast --> nut butter flourless/sugarless bread (home baked, very easy recipe) with a smear of unsweetened cashew or almond butter.

Any kind of sandwich that would require bread --> nut butter or egg white bread (flourless/sugarless). I can even do grilled cheese with it.

Pizza --> swap out crust for an egg white crust I make. Can do the same thing for lasagna, just make the egg white sheets thinner.

Tomato soup/jar tomato sauces --> crushed unsweetened tomatoes blended, heated, & thinned out with cream.

Pasta --> zucchini 'noodles'

Cookies ---> meringue macarons using a little artificial sweetener & cocoa powder.

Pancakes, waffles, tortillas, or anything along that line --> egg white cloud versions

Fried chicken --> chicken fingers breaded with PORQ (a pork rind carb-free breading) and baked or air fried.

PBJ - same nut butter bread with smear of unsweetened nut butter & no sugar added fruit preserves.

Chocolate/candies --> brown butter bites (browned butter blended w/water & unflavored/unsweetened gelatin & a touch of stevia, then chilled). Or sometimes I treat myself to a keto or Atkins bar or something like that, but I do that sparingly as it can be a little triggery.

Soda --> unsweetened seltzers & a scoop of my fruity electrolyte supplement.

My coffee has changed the most over the years, it went from 3/4 tsp sugar & about a quarter cup of milk ---> 2 splenda & quarter cup of half & half ---> 1 spenda w/half&half ---> no splenda, no half & half, w/2 tbsp of heavy cream. Or sometimes I have a 'fatty latte' (stick blender to mix & foam up butter in hot black coffee).

This is CLUTCH! IM going to come back to this often. Lots of good swaps here. I love it.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I like it. These steps are important. Build your tolerance and discipline. Then look for Even healthier alternatives to reach for.

Thanks! I try to be realistic.
  • callanmills9228
    Options
    As a snack you want to eat stuff that tastes like desserts.
    What i do is have 220G of Greek Yoghurt (Not greek style)
    Add a cup of blueberries, raspberries and a cup of chocolate protein powder.

Mix that together then on top add some natural honey and natural maple syrup.. Continue mixing and then leave it in the fridge overnight.

stops my cravings plus helps hit protein targets.