Can I have a cheat day each week where I eat 2000 calories instead of 1700 calories?

Options
Or would that get in the way of the weight loss?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you want.

What are your maintenance calories - the number of calories at which your current weight would stay steady? Figure out that estimate.

If 2000 is less than your maintenance calories, you'd still expect to lose weight on that day, just slower. If 2000 is exactly your maintenance calories, you'd delay reaching goal weight by one day - that might be worth it to you, or not; up to you. If 2000 is above your maintenance calories, you'd wipe out some of the other days' calorie deficit . . . not by very much, if 1700 actually results in weight loss for you.

It's just math, and the impact varies depending on what your maintenance calories are. Whether the impact is worth it to you or not . . . that's 100% your decision.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    That's not a cheat day, it's a snack. 300 calories in a week, considering all the myriad of estimates used in this process, is just noise.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    It means you'll lose about a tenth of a pound less per week than you would if you stuck to 1700 calories every day of the week, or about five pounds less in a year. That seems pretty minimal. Only you can decide whether you want to do that.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    It means you'll lose about a tenth of a pound less per week than you would if you stuck to 1700 calories every day of the week, or about five pounds less in a year. That seems pretty minimal. Only you can decide whether you want to do that.

True, at the end of the day it makes little difference.
  • gains4lif3
    gains4lif3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Some research suggests a “cheat day” may actually aid in weight loss:

https://greatist.com/health/cheat-days-explained#:~:text=A brief window of overeating,eat may be the key.

However, take that with a grain of salt. My nutritionist recommends to me to do a double carbs day once a week, but it doesn’t mean just eating bad food for a day. It’s the same diet but with more calories that day, similar to what you are suggesting. I’m curious to hear others takes on this.
  • AnnPT77
    edited September 2023
    Options
    gains4lif3 wrote: »

https://greatist.com/health/cheat-days-explained#:~:text=A brief window of overeating,eat may be the key.

However, take that with a grain of salt. My nutritionist recommends to me to do a double carbs day once a week, but it doesn’t mean just eating bad food for a day. It’s the same diet but with more calories that day, similar to what you are suggesting. I’m curious to hear others takes on this.

I admit, I have zero science to back this up, but I'd be surprised if there's much of a hormonal reset from eating 2000 once a week instead of 1700.

Either 1700 is quite a small deficit in the first place, or 2000 is still below maintenance calories.

Does a tiny deficit depress leptin much? Would eating below maintenance trigger reset? 🤷‍♀️

There's a "Refeeds and Diet Breaks" thread in the Most Helpful Posts heading under the Health and Weight Loss topic here in the Community. It goes into this whole topic pretty thoroughly, if you're interested, @gains4lif3 or OP.

I'd link it if I were using a device that made that easier -apologies.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    If giving up 300 worth of deficit still results in a weight loss rate you like, then do what you want!
  • AnnPT77
    edited September 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I admit, I have zero science to back this up, but I'd be surprised if there's much of a hormonal reset from eating 2000 once a week instead of 1700.

Either 1700 is quite a small deficit in the first place, or 2000 is still below maintenance calories.

Does a tiny deficit depress leptin much? Would eating below maintenance trigger reset? 🤷‍♀️

There's a "Refeeds and Diet Breaks" thread in the Most Helpful Posts heading under the Health and Weight Loss topic here in the Community. It goes into this whole topic pretty thoroughly, if you're interested, @gains4lif3 or OP.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    If you want to a treat (note, drop the "cheating") just save up for it by restricting to 1600 a day for a few days.
    As Tom said above - look at your weekly totals. I lost 22.5 kg (about 50 lb) in 9 months using weekly totals and averages. I had meals out, parties, holidays, all kinds of enjoyable eating during that time.
    I still do this after 4 years maintenance.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,609 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    This is the most important piece of info on MFP regarding fatloss

f4r4l4ge9m5t.png

Or if you're on a mobil app

pdnsouo06jvw.png

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    300 calories is at most a cheat snack.

a cheat day is when people spend a day eating whatever they want, which can add over 1000 calories to a week - even more for those who celebrate by eating a whole pizza and a bunch of ice cream. i've known people who eat more on a cheat day than their entire weekly deficit.
  • gains4lif3
    gains4lif3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

Thanks for the link! I will look into it more as it is an interesting topic. I agree that 1700 vs 2000 most likely is not going to make a major difference in leptin levels, but could definitely affect meeting the calorie deficit, especially if it turns out 1700 is in fact not even low enough to maintain the deficit. I’m not saying that is the case here, but it might be worth OP looking into.
  • braderling
    braderling Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As others have said, one cheat day of only 300 extra calories a week will not have a significant impact.

But, speaking from experience, it can be a slippery slope. One cheat day turns into 2 or 3 per week. 300 extra calories can turn into 400 - 500.

Cheat days are ok, but make sure you stay on target.
  • DeeBuss
    DeeBuss Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes and no, not enough details here. Are you working out and carb depleted, then yes I would carb up with those 300 cals once a week. Are you doing cardio, if so, bump it up to compensate the extra cals. Simple answer is adding calories will impede weight loss.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    As long as you are sure of your logging and weighing food properly go for it.

I eat at maintenance from time to time. Once a week is probably a good average for me. If it helps you stick with your goal then go for it. I've heard it's better to vary your calories intake from time to time. Your looking at your overall intake throughout the week or month and not just what you do on one day.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but for me if I deviate one day it usually leads to several and the weight creeps up again.
    So for me I'm in it 24/7 365...
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,909 Member
    Options
    I used to have a "cheat" or "treat" meal once a week. It worked fantastic for me. I don't know if it reset anything, but it sure helped my attitude. I knew I could eat anything on that day, and I had a whole week to ask myself all the questions above before I had to decide how many calories I would add that day. Mostly what I used it for was eating out somewhere that didn't have calories listed, making a somewhat healthy low-calorie choice from the menu, and just not worrying about it. After all, it was my "cheat" meal.
    It helped me so much to not feel deprived.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You are in control ... if you do it.. and spiral out of control. maybe never do it again. if you do it.. make it work by coutner balancing your exercise or eating, and it was fun? Then do it again, if you want. Listen to yourself not other people. There are both camps here. those who do.. those who never do. You choose.