degenerative disc disease

Options
has anyone been dealing with this? what works for you. I tried physical therapy and ended up irritating the sciatic nerve. went to chiropractor and was floored by the expensive treatment. I use ice pack when going to bed, which helps.

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Chiropractic is not the answer so save your money. Next to surgery there isn’t much you can do to fix the problem. Ibuprofen in safe amounts and strengthening the core will help but it mostly comes down to staying away from activities that exacerbate the pain.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I have spondylolisthesis and some loss of disc height, some degenerative facet joints.

I maintain my health by counting calories, NO RUNNING (only walking or cycling… elliptical also bothers me). Many of my lower body exercises are done with no weight, just body weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,437 Member
    Options
    It may also be expensive, but if you can be referred to a good physical therapist, I'd recommend that. They are good at assessing your particular body, recommending remedial exercises for any current factors that are unnecessarily increasing pain or creating risk for future more severe injury.

I don't have a degenerative disk diagnosis, but do have other physical issues for which I've sought physical therapy, and have always found it beneficial. If you're in the US or any similar system where you may have a role in selecting a specific provider, talk with your friends and family about what their experiences have been at the PT practices in your area. Some are better than others.
  • bcalvanese
    bcalvanese Posts: 32 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Physical therapy (as mentioned)
    If you are over weight... get to a healthy weight
    Core strengthening exercises
    Lower impact activities, like... walking, cycling, swimming, etc...
    Stretching
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I did the physical therapy and ended up with sciatic which made it much worse. 45 minutes is a long time to do stretches and more. at home I could do it for 15 minute stretches and finally got rid of sciatic.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,347 Member
    Options
    Go slow. Get rest, but also get exercise. I've been dealing with back pain, allegedly from discs, for more years than I want to say - more years perhaps than most users here are old.... One of the things that is "supposed" to be bad for my back is sitting with my legs out in front of me. That's the position I sit in a kayak. Kayaking was one of the few things that helped. My doctor said, "If it helps, that's good."

I have had some success with SOME chiropractors. I have had pain relief from medication, but I don't like to take it and haven't taken it in decades for the most part.

Do you know how many chiropractors it takes to change a light bulb?
    Just one, but it takes twelve visits.... :lol:
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Some people find yoga helps with this. There are several free online classes you could try.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited January 11
    Options
    @foreverhealthy3 people start to develop degenerative disc disease really as soon as they are born so really everyone has it (but not all feel the impact of it). As the disc degenerates sometimes the change in the disc shape will cause pain, sometimes it won't. Sitting is generally rough on the back/body in general. Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles of the core is generally helpful. NOTE: since many yoga movements tend to work the core, yoga can often be helpful but exercises provided by a physical therapist will be more targeted to your specific situation.

Most PT exercises can be done at home while watching TV (much better use of the time than sitting on a couch snacking like many do :smile: )

If you're not familiar with them check Bob and Brad, the Most Famous Physical Therapists on the Internet. They are 2 PTs with about 60 years experience between them and 5M followers on YouTube. They have hundreds of free videos discussing various orthopedic issues. The videos include explanations on the "why" of a problem, when to see a professional and what one can do at home to help the situation.

This video discusses degenerative disc disease in general
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAEvxlSIQ8I

Exercise demonstrations:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-xMNbNT2as

Their main website
    https://www.bobandbrad.com/

Link to videos on specific body parts
    https://www.bobandbrad.com/our-programs

Good luck.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    Try hanging from a bar as it stretches out the spine also if you strengthen the muscles of the core it takes a lot of stress off of the spine

The bar hang will either feel good or hurt so if the latter don't do it.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Try hanging from a bar as it stretches out the spine also if you strengthen the muscles of the core it takes a lot of stress off of the spine

Also super good for most shoulder issues.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    edited January 11
    Options
    I'd listen to your body.. what is working? Ice at night. So do that.. Maybe try to take ibuprofen for a week..and try to get the pain under control or dissipated. Then do what works for your body.. maybe it is slow stretches and slowly trying a few things.
    I had a painful achlies tendon injury for a few years. My biggest mistake was listening to Physical Therapists on youtube and all their ideas. .including that Bob and Brad. Those suggested exercises and stretches kept me in pain and I was despondent..thinking i'd never be pain free again.
    When i listened to my body and stopped all that. I took ibuprofen for a week.. massaged my leg and calf a few times a day.. rested..and wore great tennise shoes with cheap insoles.. I couldn't believe i had no more pain. I'm still in disbeleif...it has been a few months now..

• tracydr01
    tracydr01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find yoga and swimming are the most helpful for me. I use you-tube for yoga.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

I really hope this is a joke...
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Most definitely not.

https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/dead-hang#benefits

https://www.onebed.com.au/eliminate-shoulder-pain-with-a-simple-and-easy-exercise/

• sollyn23l2
    Options
    I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

if you have no underlying shoulder issues it great for shoulders.

• sollyn23l2
    Options

if you have no underlying shoulder issues it great for shoulders.

Except he said it's great for shoulder issues.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Seconding the benefits of hanging for shoulder health. I credit hangs for helping with a tennis elbow issue I had too. Side benefit, improved grip strength.

Endorsed by Bob & Brad here.

https://youtu.be/bI9KZVdFSmQ?si=5pU5Gf39HbDQphBV

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Back on the original topic, ymmv but some things come to mind:

1. Get a better mattress if you think it will help. And/or, a small pillow between your knees can help.

2. You need to strengthen the muscles around there. Obviously start small, based on what you can do, and progress from there. Any acute pain, stop immediately, and return next time to something a bit easier. Do yoga stuff like cobra stretch, bird dog, planks. Avoid crunches, Superman's, and twisting under load.

3. Maybe swimming can provide relief, while allowing you to get some exercise.

4. Losing weight. Mostly through diet.

5. Not an endorsement, but I saw a YT guy I like, Mark Lewis, talking about the benefit he got from an inversion table. He wasn't pimping the product, he said he felt better after he started using it, but he isn't claiming the product was directly responsible. So you can see what he's talking about, here's the vid.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N3L1Lp6ljs0
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Back on the original topic, ymmv but some things come to mind:

1. Get a better mattress if you think it will help. And/or, a small pillow between your knees can help.

2. You need to strengthen the muscles around there. Obviously start small, based on what you can do, and progress from there. Any acute pain, stop immediately, and return next time to something a bit easier. Do yoga stuff like cobra stretch, bird dog, planks. Avoid crunches, Superman's, and twisting under load.

3. Maybe swimming can provide relief, while allowing you to get some exercise.

4. Losing weight. Mostly through diet.

5. Not an endorsement, but I saw a YT guy I like, Mark Lewis, talking about the benefit he got from an inversion table. He wasn't pimping the product, he said he felt better after he started using it, but he isn't claiming the product was directly responsible. So you can see what he's talking about, here's the vid.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N3L1Lp6ljs0

The inversion table is basically the same motion related to the back as hanging as @tomcustombuilder mentioned above.