RUNNERS!!! Why did you sign up for a Marathon?

Options

Replies

• katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first half because of the promise of wine after...ok, not really...only a little bit because of wine.

I enjoy running, yes, even 12 miles. I love the high I get, I love the sense of peace I feel, I love the accomplishment.

After several weeks of training for my second half, I decided to start training for a full because I have been feeling so good after long runs. I said I would never do a full, who wants to run that long anyway? Not sure I'll do another one again...but the reason I signed up is because I never know when my body is going to tell me to stop, and I never want to have the regret of NOT doing it :)

PS. My full Marathon is in 5 weeks!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the variety of reasons listed. Personally, there have only been a few moments in my life that I wanted to do a full Marathon, and the majority of those thoughts were with the Marathon at the end of an Ironman Triathlon.

But who knows what the winter will bring. :bigsmile:
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    On long run training days, and during the early morning, 5:00 am runs, I likely ask myself this question at LEAST once every mile...

:grumble:

If I ever figure out the answer you'll be the first to know, AZ...
    I'm right there with ya Scoobie (In a half marathon sot of way!) This summer 5 am was muggy and steamy and now 5am is DARK! We just can't win! so I really have to ask myself that question! :laugh:

I guess because I've never considered myself a 'runner'..but now I guess I am! :happy:
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I did my first marathon because it was on my bucket list to do a marathon before I turned 30.

Four marathons later, I'm planning on doing two marathons next year, and hope the second one will be my Boston Qualifyer.

As I always say.....The marathon begins at Mile 20.

I run marathons because you see what you are made of between miles 20 - 26.

Each race is a different experience.. different courses, different weather conditions, and your body is in different states of fitness. I've finished in elated joy with bounds of untapped energy and I've also finished in pain and relief that it's finally over.

I would rather go long than fast. I find it to be very meditative to find your gear and hold steady.
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I haven't signed up for a marathon, but my ultimate goal is to be able to run a marathon (non-stop if thats possible!)

I have always wanted to "be a runner" but when I was younger I never was athletic of any sort. I had the short, stocky body even though looking back I realize I was only short... No one ever told me that it was ok to not be fast right away, or that it was ok to switch between running and walking to build up your endurance. All I can ever remember was sprinting to the finish line and then not being able to pull myself together for another run.

Now that I am older and looking at my life, my health, and even my happiness... I realize that I need to do what I have always wanted to do.... become a runner. After hearing MFP people talking about C25K and fartleks I have realized that I don't need to be fast, it is actually a really good idea to build up your endurance before worrying about speed. So, now that I know this, I have decided to put one foot in front of the other and start building myself up to be a runner. I signed up for my first 5k which is next Saturday.

Oh yeah, and the ultimate deciding factor is that my sister is making me do this 5k with her ---- so I had to train beforehand! ;)
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I signed up for mine because if I didn't sign up, it would always be sitting on my bucket list. There will always be races to run, time to train and other pressing priorities (or so we hope). I put my money where my mouth is because once I parted with it, I KNEW I'd train and put in the hard work necessary.

Why do I want to run one? I've never done it and I wanted a challenge and another sport I could take up. I was in a pretty bad car accident about a decade ago and was told I'd never walk again, so this is a pretty big milestone and testament to my determination. Plus, I needed something to train for...you can only do so much cardio inside a gym!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Skydiving and running a marathon were the two main things on my bucket list (now I've done both and need to add some more items to my list). Before I started running, doing a marathon seemed like such a crazy unattainable feat - who runs 26.2 miles?! Once I started running, once I ran my first half marathon, suddenly it seemed doable - and I wanted to know what it felt like to accomplish that.

And today I found out.
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    Options
    By the time I've trained for my first half-marathon in May 2012, I would be 40 years old have lost 101lbs. 2 months after my first half, I will then race my first marathon in July.

Just like the usual "flying-dreams"... I have had many dreams of running long and fast - I'm certain this is one of the things I have to accomplish in my life.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I got stalled in my routine, and it became obvious that I needed a goal to train for, rather than the goal just being general fitness and fun.

I eventually found my goal race, it’s a 26 mile fell race over three of the highest peaks in my area. But it’s considered much tougher than a road marathon and there is quite stringent qualifying conditions. (3:20 road marathon time or two 20+ mile fell races)

So in preparation and to help the qualifying this coming year I’m running a road marathon in April, I think it will mentally help me to know I can cover the distance in a decent time.

I’ve run a bunch of races inc half distance but this will be my first 26 miler.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not dreaming of a marathon - YET, but I am training for a half in February.

I always wanted to be able to run, but have always been the most non-coordinated, non-athletic person I know and it just seemed like an impossible dream. I love to read books about long distance running or walking (like Flanagan's Run by Tom McNab, Africa Trek by Alexandre and Sonia Poussin) and always wanted to be part of something bigger than me, something I didn't think was possible.

I met my first goal of doing something that seemed impossible by running a 12k race at the end of August- that was a bittersweet victory because I really wanted to do it for my mum who had terminal cancer -she asked me about 6 weeks before the race "are you really going to run that far?" and I said yes. So I had to do it for her. She died just two days after the race so she knew I did it and people have told me that on the day of the race, she told everyone in the hospital that I was doing it (along with the 40,000 other people who ran/walked that day!)

Now I know that I can run, I need another goal - I love the way that running keeps me grounded and focused and helps me cope when I'm upset or sad or stressed. So, the Busselton Half Marathon is my next target. That's in the town where my dad lives and the path goes past the hospital where mum passed away so I will feel as though I'm running it with her and I know my dad will be there to cheer me on too. I don't think it's going to be an easy run - although it's a flat path by the beach all the way it is in February (mid summer in Australia) so I'm going to have to do my longest training runs in the heat and will have to really focus on staying hydrated. But, I'm going to give it my best shot!

I'm loving everyone's stories, thanks for sharing.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first marathon by accident.

My friend and I were walking an overnight marathon for a breast cancer charity (the moonwalk), and as an incentive for people to donate money to such a good cause we pledged to RUN a marathon, but only if we raised over £1000 for the moonwalk. Which we really didn't think we'd get.

And, well, we did. Which was quite a surprise.

So now there's no getting out of it - we're running the Paris Marathon in April 2012. I enjoy running, but my mileage has never been anything much over 10Km, so this will be quite a challenge, but I'm looking forward to it!
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm a little tired to write about what attracts me to the Marathon right now, but keen to keep an eye on this thread, will go back and read and contribute properly later. Thanks for starting this cool topic
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Cause it seemed like the thing to do at the time :)

I had gotten back into running consistently and had done a half the previous year, my running was going good, so I figured why not. Honestly that's all the more inspiring my story is. I suppose the biggest "feat" of it all is that although I've always loved running, I was a sprinter and anything more than one lap on the track was "far". So to go from sprinter to marathon was a pretty big journey.
    Early registration opens tomorrow so I will be signing up for my second marathon, next May.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Where do I start.... First, I love all the replys. The running group is an amazing group of people and the more races and events I attend, I see that first hand. You guys are all amazing!!

I started running in March 2010 right after I turned 40 with no intention of every running a marathon. I was just running to get myself ready to help one of my close friends pace run his 100 mile trail run that coming September. He told me that it would be more of a run/walk through the dark, wee hours of the morning, so if I could get to a 10K run I would be fine.
    I hit 5K in 3 months and was so proud. I then got a little too confident and figured I could run a Half in September, two weeks after my pace run event. Not sure why I thought this was do-able but I signed up and kept running.

That 100 mile experience changed everything for me. I watched my friend go through his darkest moment ever, fight with his mind and his body about what he was doing, and watched him overcome the mind and find the strength to finish that 100 miler in 29 and a half hours. I was amazed!! You truly can do anything you put your mind too, and with the support of others around you, helping your when your mind is telling you that you can't. It's all mental, I truly believe that now.

I ran my Half two weeks later and the day after I signed up for a 30K for March of 2011. That's the next goal right? I wanted to push myself. After that 30K it was a given that I would run a Full, and I am, in 3 weeks.

My brother was a marathon runner and I was 21 when I watched him run in to the finish line in Toronto. That was 20 years ago, this October. Next month I'll be crossing that finish line with him in spirit. He lives in Arizona now and unfortunately can't run anymore due to a back injury. He has been very supportive in my training though and passing along tips etc....

So why am I running a marathon? Because I can do anything I put my mind to and I want to show that it's never to late to start something. How far can I run is the next question? That is something I want to explore more. Seeing that I doubled my distance in one year, I plan on doing the same this coming year. Next September I will be running my first 50 mile trail race with my 100 miler friend there supporting me this time. Who knows what will happen after that. 100 miler in 2013? That's just crazy talk.....lol

Keep running!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    About 6 years ago, I started walking as part of my fitness regimen for losing weight and becoming healthy again. It was all treadmill. As I got stronger and better, I started running. Not fast, and not very far. As I kept improving, I decided to throw a marathon into things, as a way to "test" my fitness. I picked one with a time limit I knew for a fact I could go under. By mile twenty, I was crying for my mommy and wondering seriously why I didn't just stay on my happy little treadmill. That was 2007.

3 weeks later, I did my first triathlon, and was hooked. I found that triathlon training was easier on my creaky knees.

I still do running races - half marathons every now and then, trail races (the muddier the better!), and some 5K's with my oldest daughter. But mostly I race triathlon. Does it count as a marathon if it comes at the end of swimming 2.4M and biking 112M?

I'm notoriously slow. Truth is, my speed never increased with my love of racing. I can train till I drop, and I'm still a Back Of Packer. I've come in DFL (Dead ****ing Last) on two occasions. My triathlon friends are constantly telling me how it's all "attitude". Apparantly, in their minds, even the slow and talentless people are supposed to be fast and talented. But I don't care. It doesn't stop me. There's nothing more exciting than race day, no matter how many people finish ahead of me.

A quick addition: Reading the other responses has been hugely inspirational! You guys ROCK!!! I love all the determination, drive, and defiance in the responses so far!
  • Love this thread!

I decided to run the London Marathon when I was with my ex. It was a pretty bad relationship, going stale and I felt a bit trapped. I wanted to do something that was totally mine, and no one else could have any say in, or take credit for. I had always enjoyed running and done a few 5k's and 10k's, but had never done the longer distances.

I decided I'd run one by my 30th, so had 4 years to get in otherwise I would've paid to do it for charity. Managed to lose teh ex and kept on entering the ballot. Luckily got a ballot place on my 2nd entry, and dedicated my place to Macmillan.

It was honestly the best experience of my life, and the feeling of crossing that line and getting hugs and incredulous looks from my friends and family isn't even describable. I still get a bit emotional when I realise I've actually done it!

Its by no means easy, it takes a lot of dedication but it is possible, and is truely an amazing experience x

Good luck to all the runners here, whatever distance - I'm thinking of a half next as its the only distance I've not done.
  • larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ;) I am that sister! lol
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    And I also wanted to FINALLY put my magnet on my car:

262.jpg
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had just finished a half marathon, and i was drunk on glory. and bloody marys. So, yeah.....i have a full marathon to start training for.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a marathon or even half marathon yet but I plan to. As the youngest of 4 children I always felt like I wasn't good enough. My older sister is the "perfect older sister type" and my brothers are both pretty athletic. I was always the slower, bigger one that got picked on. I got the genetic factor of my metabolism from my mothers side which are all slightly shorter and a little stout so my siblings always looked at me like I was the "fat" kid, even though I was like 5'3" 135-ish lbs. I guess in a way it makes me feel stronger? and like I CAN prove them wrong? So here I am.. running on my own two feet and it feels great! :-)