Are carbs really that bad for you??

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. Basically any white carb (white bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc.) is bad. Whole grain carbs (check the ingredients list ... if it includes the word "enriched," leave it alone), even bread and pasta, are fine (and necessary) in moderation.

Fruits and vegetables are also carbs, and no healthy diet should be without those.

So basically white carbs and "enriched" wheat carbs are the ones to stay away from.

curious as to why a white potato or white rice would be worse then lets say a sweet potato or brown rice?

The glycemic load. An average russet potato has a GL of 26, an average sweet potato is 17. White rice has a GL of 23, brown rice is 18.

so using GL we can rank foods on which is better then others?

Yes, to a point. Naturally nutrient content would play a part, but GL is very important.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    i think white potatoes and white rice are worse because they are "simple" carbs. They have no nutrients compared to "complex" carbs. Multi-grain and whole wheat and such for bread and pasta contain more nutrientional value, the calories might be similar per serving but you are acutally getting more value with eating them. if you want to have a balanced diet carbs are necessary. but not all carbs have to come from bread products.

since when is a white potato a "simple carb"?

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-potatoes-white-flesh-skin-baked-i11357

I believe everything in moderation. I still occasionally eat white rice and potatoes and sometimes even *gasp* white pasta. Food should be enjoyed not feared.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm just looking into this issue too as I don't seem able to lose weight.

For now I'm going mainly gluten free, so no bread unless its gluten free and no pasta.. I am still eating rice and potatoes though but limiting them to not more than once a week and replacing mashed potato with mashed swede somedays or oven chips with sweet potato or turnip chips.

We'll see in a few weeks if its made any difference by the time I need my next food shop.
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In my case and I can only speak for me, I have to be very careful with carbs. Once I start, I am an addict. So I try to select the carbs that are deemed most healthy. I will eat wheat bread instead of white, as an example. I stay away from cookies and cakes as another example. I have no science behind my decision other than I shed pounds lots faster if I avoid them and lean toward protein.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    i think white potatoes and white rice are worse because they are "simple" carbs. They have no nutrients compared to "complex" carbs. Multi-grain and whole wheat and such for bread and pasta contain more nutrientional value, the calories might be similar per serving but you are acutally getting more value with eating them. if you want to have a balanced diet carbs are necessary. but not all carbs have to come from bread products.

since when is a white potato a "simple carb"?

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-potatoes-white-flesh-skin-baked-i11357

I believe everything in moderation. I still occasionally eat white rice and potatoes and sometimes even *gasp* white pasta. Food should be enjoyed not feared.

It's not, but your body processes it as if it was.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-full-story/index.html#what-are-carbohydrates

Dividing carbohydrates into simple and complex makes sense on a chemical level. But it doesn't do much to explain what happens to different kinds of carbohydrates inside the body. For example, the starch in white bread and French-fried potatoes clearly qualifies as a complex carbohydrate. Yet the body converts this starch to blood sugar nearly as fast as it processes pure glucose. Fructose (fruit sugar) is a simple carbohydrate, but it has a minimal effect on blood sugar.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kikilicious84
    Options

the theory is that white foods are usually processed, as in white rice, white flour, etc. they are very easy for your body to digest and cause a spike in insulin production which in turn cause sugar which in turn gets stored as fat. also these foods because they have been processed have been leeched of all their nutrients, which is why manufacturers have to enrich them to at least try to put some vitamins back into them. white potatoes are kind of okay. brown rice, whole grains etc have not been processed and therefore take a lot longer for your body to digest and don't cause an insulin spike. they also still have all the nutrients and fibre a body needs.

If it ain't white, it ain't right.

HAHAHA LMAO
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    While training for a marathon, I was told to make sure to eat at least 60 % of my calories from carbohydrates.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    this whole argument drives me bonkers.

Guys, everything in moderation. Wheat is not the enemy. Carbs are not the enemy, protein is not the savior.

it's a case of being smart about your health choices. Unless you have a specific medical condition that precludes a certain food type, all macronutrient food types are fine if you have them in the correct amounts.

the world obesity level didn't rise dramatically because of grain (at least not in the direct sense, I'm not talking about the increase in grain output and transport, which is the other side of the coin), if that was the case it would have risen long ago (we as a race, have been processing grain and corn for thousands of years). It has risen because people eat to much food, and eat to much processed food, that's it, plain and simple. The truth is, most people eat a high percentage of their diet from pre-made foods that are low nutrient density, high caloric value foods without ever knowing what's truly in them as a staple for their diets, this is true the world over. If the world started paying attention to their food choices, and stopped eating foods just because they "fit into their daily lifestyle" then we'd be far better off as a community.

-Banks

Bump! Too much of anything is bad for you!!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My friend who is a sports and fitness major knows alot about dieting and eating right..he claims that carbs ( such as wheat bread ) and pasta are terrible for you??

is this true? am i really gonna have to give up my carbs even though the carbs I eat are not so bad..thxx
    If you like dying, then yes, carbs are terrible for you.

Surely if you like dying, going by this thread and your opinion, carbs would be great!

LOL!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad for you. Going over your calorie intake and plopping your a** on the couch over a lengthy period of time is bad for you.

Complex carbs vs Refined carbs is a big debate. Neither will make you fat if you don't go over your calorie intake depending on your muscle glycogen. Complex carbs stay in your system longer making you feel fuller because they are slower to digest.

I can eat very low carb for 3 days, workout at high intensity and deplete my muscle glycogen for those 3 days, then eat over 1000g of carbs in just ONE MEAL on the 4th day, go over my calorie intake by even a few thousand calories, and not gain a single pound nor get fat.

It's not practical, but the point is...no carbs are bad for you.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

If you like dying, then yes, carbs are terrible for you.

Carbohydrates are your bodies most readily available form of energy. Your body can use 3 sources of energy: Carbohydrates, Fat, and Protien. The expression "carbs are the enemy" comes from the idea that your body typically burns off carbs before burning off fat, because its easier to break down for energy. Less carbs, means your body tries to burn fat instead.

The thing is you body needs carbohydrates (unless you are sufferening a medical condition, might be different). Your brain needs carbs, because its function is based off carb usage, not fat usage. The brain can use fat, but its much much more difficult than carb usage.

In short, you need to eat carbs. A well balanced diet, of low carbs low fat is good, but you do need some at the very least.

yay..the voice of reason AT LAST :-) moderation is the key. i watch calories,fat and protein. as a vegetarian, it's not easy. my basic rules are: eat as little as possible of that which is processed, and eat as much as I like of anything that comes out of the ground ( and preferably green).