Is there an Indian vegetarian willing to share their food diary and food tips?

Options
I'd love to exchange notes with someone who grew up in India eating rice and rotis.

I'm trying to make a switch to add more protein by cutting back on brown rice and rotis, but I don't feel satiated/fulfilled. I have cut back on brown rice, but I eat two gluten free and rye rotis, but carbs add up and with other food like lentils, chickpea etc. which also have carbs, it's easy to have carbs at 200-250 grams, but protein still remains at 60-80 grams.

I'm trying to break my weight-loss plateau, by doing this switch. Any tips?

If you have managed to make a switch to add more protein without carbs, can you please share your food diary with me?

Replies

• gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hello - not vegetarian or from an Indian background, sorry - and I hope you find some folks who are.

However a few thoughts

- some people seem to struggle more with lowering carbs than others (brown rice is low GI so for many of us it ‘keeps you fuller for longer’) so perhaps be open to the idea that lowering calories overall rather than a focus on ‘just’ carbs might serve you better?

- Eg instead perhaps eat how you do normally - just slightly smaller portion size all round. My food portion size quickly creeps up if I take my eye off the ball!

- more bean curd protein if you don’t eat milk products could be your friend protein wise

- some ‘food hacks’ might help with the calorie load eg ‘frying’ off onions in water rather than oil. And being stricter with high calorie (delicious!) snacks and sweets if those are a pleasure for you too?!

Good luck with the plateau. You have clearly being doing well to get to have one!

• M0mble
    M0mble Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Not indian or vegetarian either and I'm sure these ideas are totally unauthentic but have found I can enjoy my meal just as well my substituting cauliflower either dry fried with spices or just steamed for rice and/or bread. I have also made more dhal, shashlick and puree onion based dishes to minimise some of the fats. Another thing is to add just a couple of spoons of coconut milk powder near the end of any dish that would typically ask for coconut milk, it's not AS creamy or rich but definitely gets some of that lovely flavour and feeling for far less fat etc.