Just bought a small jar. Hope it helps
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Tried it. Didn't like it. Gave it away.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of peanut butter? It could be a useful substitute in very specific uses mentioned previously if you eat peanut butter frequently and use it in varied ways. If you aren’t already using peanut butter, it’s an expensive jar of powder taking up space. It doesn’t have any magical diet properties, it’s just an option that could be useful in appropriate situations.
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are, but PBFit, that Ann mentioned above, is available at Walmart and Costco around me. I mix it with half a serving of unflavored whey protein for a peanut flavored protein shake sometimes, just for variety. It is pretty cheap compared to whey isolate, and comes in a big container like protein powder. Sometimes I put a little Nunaturals stevia chocolate or vanilla syrup with it for a treat. I tried making it into a spread but gave it a thumbs down. Tried PB2 years ago and threw mine away, too.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    I get Crazy Richard's at Walmart ( no sugar!) And Naked Powdered peanut butter on Amazon. I love it
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use it as a spread but find it useful for savoury dishes such adding a Malaysian twist to stir fries, peanut satay sauce or dressing for bang bang chicken salad.
  • Jg449
    Jg449 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is there a PB brand that doesn’t have palm oil added? I heard palm oil was not good.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    Jg449 wrote: »
    Is there a PB brand that doesn’t have palm oil added? I heard palm oil was not good.

Smucker's Natural PB is just peanuts (including the oil in the peanuts) and salt. I buy it because I don't like sugar in my PB and I don't think PB with other oils tastes as peanutty (other oils are added because they are more solid at room temp, hence the PB doesn't separate and have to be stirred up).

I believe Crazy Richard's is the same (just peanuts and salt), but you should check the label as I ha en't looked at it lately.

Or any store that grinds peanuts on site will usually be just peanuts (not even salt), but again, check the label.

Basically, the give-away is whether it's separating, at least a bit (although if they're grinding it in the store, it may not have had time to separate).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    I use something called partially defatted peanut flour, which is pretty much the same thing except nothing in it but peanuts (minus some of the fat).

Last time I bought it, it seemed cheaper than PB2 and similar products -- probably because they don't seem to advertise and offer it like a commodity, maybe for baking? It's sold in a bag like flour or sugar. I don't remember the brand name off-hand and I'm not home.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options

I adore Santa Cruz Organic Dark Roasted. Not cheap, but so good! Just peanuts and salt.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Like others I use it mainly for Asian style dishes to cut the calories as opposed to using actual Peanut Butter. Usually I make up 13g of the powder with water, add soy sauce, mirin and various aromatics depending whether I’m going Thai, Malaysian or Indonesian.

I can’t buy it here either (UK) but get it on Amazon. Relatively expensive but a jar lasts a long time. Obviously I don’t know if your version of Amazon will supply it to NZ (where I think you are?), but worth a look if you decide to go that way.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Winco carries PB2 in their bulk bins if you are near one of their stores. They also carry it in regular retail containers at twice the price. Go figure.
  • fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I tried a PB2 that was crunchy and had chopped peanuts in it that was good.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    I use the Naked brand sugar free powdered peanut butter or Crazy Richard's sugar free powdered peanut butter
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I've never bothered. I don't eat PB that often, but when I do it's on a sandwich and it's a meal. Most of my meals need to be at least 500 calories or more so there's no need for me to use a PB substitute.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Smucker's Natural PB is just peanuts (including the oil in the peanuts) and salt. I buy it because I don't like sugar in my PB and I don't think PB with other oils tastes as peanutty (other oils are added because they are more solid at room temp, hence the PB doesn't separate and have to be stirred up).

I believe Crazy Richard's is the same (just peanuts and salt), but you should check the label as I ha en't looked at it lately.

Or any store that grinds peanuts on site will usually be just peanuts (not even salt), but again, check the label.

Basically, the give-away is whether it's separating, at least a bit (although if they're grinding it in the store, it may not have had time to separate).

I don't like PB with added oil and sugar either. It tastes weird to me and I agree has less of a peanut flavor.

Another natural brand is Teddy's, and some, BUT NOT ALL, Whole Foods 365 PB.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I didn't like PB powders at all. I just buy the real stuff and make room for it in my diet. I like the 'natural' kinds with oil and sugar, but Crazy Richard's 100% peanut butter is pretty good if you want JUST peanuts.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Seems too expensive and not easy to buy here

It's grainy. Tastes a bit like peanut butter grit. If you mix it completely in something, it has a strong PB flavor. So you could make a sauce or use a touch for flavoring. You just have be careful on texture. Taste is fine. Texture is so-so. But eating like regular peanut butter--no go. It's too grainy.

Plus, it's expensive. I just eat significantly less of regular peanut butter.