need to hear something good...

Options
Ok...I have lost 95 lbs. Got a whole new wardrobe. Changed my lifestyle and became a new me! I really love the new me. I'm very happy with all that I have learned!

I decided it was time for a hair cut...continue on with the new me makeover. I went and got it cut today and the first things out of the mouths of my 12 and 13 year olds were... "I think you should grow it back out, it looked better." and "What did you do? Why did you do it?"

Very hurtful words from my kids, I know they didn't mean to hurt me...but it really did. Especially since it was a difficult thing to decide to do because my hair has always been my identity.

Help me feel better please.

Replies

• jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think the new hair cut is cute!!! Kids can be mean and sometimes it is hard to see mom change ;-)
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    I think kids just get used to seeing mom one way and it's a shock to see something different. They probably didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Your hair looks great by the way. Kids don't mean the things they say sometimes especially teenagers, the new look will grow on them!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    How do YOU feel about your hair?

Kids don't always take well to change, and they have seen you change a lot. They probably don't know how to take it. Kids, are kids. They aren't always nice. Sometimes they have no filter.

And I think it is very cute, you look great.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It's adorable! I'd probably have told my kids "Clearly, you have no fashion sense. If I get a mullet, THEN tell me!" LOL
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Your hair is super cute!!! You look great, and younger!
  • CandiceLeeAnn
    CandiceLeeAnn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on the weight loss! Maybe it was just too much of a change for them. They'll get used to it :) Personally, I think the new haircut looks amazing! I usually find when my hair gets too long I hide behind it and it really doesn't do anything for me...lol.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I like the haircut.

Kids don't have very good mouth filters.

Wait. Lots of adults don't either.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful. I like it and it will grow on them. My kids have said thes same thing to me, they are so used to their mom looking a certain way.
  • Sazzles14
    Options
    I think your new look is great, it suits you. Your children will soon get over their surprise!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Two things - if the avatar pic is the new do, I LOVE it. Second, young girls tend to love long hair and never think short hair is a good idea. It's very rare that any young girl who isn't a total tomboy will have short hair.

EDIT: I forgot to say the shorter hair makes you look MUCH younger too. You look fantastic. :smile:
  • dannylives
    Options
    I think it's 'cause you're their mom and have always had your hair longer. Now, when they saw the new cut, you probably looked like other ladies they normally see around town. They probably don't want their mom going anywhere which, you probably wont. They'll either get used to it or maybe they're just being mean, I dont know. And your hair looks good I dont care what those punk kids say! :)
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I like the cut! And I agree with the other posters here, kids are often hurtful, they don't mean to be, but it's really hard to see your Mom change! If you like it (which you should :-), then smile on and keep moving forward!
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The new haircut looks FANTASTIC! Kiddos never want their mommas to change...they'll get used to it.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I think your hair is fantastic! You look 10 years younger, and super cute.

My kids usually don't like when I cut my hair either -- then again, they don't like broccoli on Tuesdays, so go figure. They've probably forgotten about it already, but you're still carrying it around. Give yourself a little break, and enjoy your new look, and the whole new YOU. :flowerforyou:
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I like the long hair myself, but my opinion don't matter, does it. AND NEITHER SHOULD YOUR OFFSPRINGS.
  • ewhitis
    ewhitis Posts: 132
    Options
    You look soooo much younger with the shorter cut!!!:bigsmile:
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i think it is super cute and it makes you look 10 years younger. Kids dont have a filter it was probably just shocking to them,,, my baby hurt my feelings like that once and after crying for a couple days i started this journey... what do you think about it is the question.....
  • martina123321
    Options
    I absolutely love the new hair cut, makes you look so much younger!! (no offence) Mine used to be really long and had it cut super short, spur of the moment thing, I loved it still do but want it a little bit longer so I can do more with it. Its a really good look for you. Kids don't mean to be hurtful they just don't know how to deal with change very well and will just have to get used to the new you. :) xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    First off, congratulations on the weight loss! Maybe it was just too much of a change for them. They'll get used to it :) Personally, I think the new haircut looks amazing! I usually find when my hair gets too long I hide behind it and it really doesn't do anything for me...lol.

Thanks everyone....
    I think that I have hidden by my hair for years...not really realizing that's what I did. I always thought it was the only pretty thing about me.

I really liked my hair until the first thing I heard was negative about it.

At least my hubby likes it ;)

I know it will take time for them to get use to it....it's just hard to come back from that kind of reaction. Even if they did appologize for making me feel bad.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Tell them the upside is that it will grow back before either of them get married and therefore will not ruin any of their wedding photos :)

Seriously it's cute... I have been debating on a new cut/style ... and a shorter one.. but I am scared as my hair hasn't changed for years... maybe I'll put it on my list of things to get over the fear of.. :)