Macros

Anyone counting macros? Any tips?

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,067 Member
    MFP counts and lists your macros as part of what it lists if you're inputting your food and counting calories.

Are you interested in counting your macros as a way of being healthier or as a way of losing weight?
  • j6nkhwp8c4
    j6nkhwp8c4 Posts: 2 Member
    Both but mainly to lose weight. I have been using the app to count them. My weight is only maintaining the 3 lbs I lost a month ago.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited August 2023
    then macros don't particularly matter. if you want to lose weight, cut down on calories.

if you're not losing in a month, you're not eating at a deficit. do you weigh everything you eat, find accurate database entries and log everything you eat plus all liquids that aren't calorie-free including juice, soda, alcoholic beverages, milk, cream in your coffee and so on?

if you're trying to build muscle, eating a higher percentage of protein is important, and if use keto as a tool to lose weight or are diabetic, carbs /sugar matter, but you can lose weight eating literally nothing but candy bars and pizza as long as the total daily and weekly calories are below your maintenance calories.

that being said, it's healthy to have some protein, carbs and fats.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    Counting calories while watching macros is generally equivalent to counting macros while watching calories. Each macro has an approximate characteristic calorie level: Protein and carbs are about 4 calories per gram, fats about 9 calories per gram, alcohol (which isn't any of the other macros but has calorie) is about 7 calories per gram.

So, count one of (calories, macros), watch the other: You get to about the same destination either way.

I agree that it's calories that matter directly for weight management, but disagree with the common statement here that macros are unimportant, or that macros other than protein are unimportant. Most of us want to be healthy - I hope? - not just thin.

Certainly, we need some fats (really certain essential fatty acids (EFAs) in the fats) in addition to protein, because our bodies can't manufacture the EFAs out of anything else. That's similar to the essential amino acid (EAA) reasoning about protein. We need a minimum of EFAs and EAAs, but more is fine within reason.

Carbs are potentially more flexible than protein/fat, unless a person has an individual reason to reduce or increase them. (Manage them if diabetic or insulin resistant, reduce them if they spike your appetite, increase them if low carb tanks your energy level - that sort of thing.)

Macros are important for health and body composition, but IMO there's no exact universal perfect formula that applies to everyone (context matters), and they don't need to be exact every day (close on average over a few days should be fine).

Macros can have an indirect effect on weight management, since sub-ideal nutrition has the potential to reduce energy level (so we move less, burn fewer calories) or spike appetite (so we find it too hard to stick to a sensible calorie intake long term). The direct effect on weight is still via calories.

Micronutrients are also important, including various phytonutrients that aren't strictly vitamins or minerals, plus probiotics and prebiotics may matter, and more.

There's no reason to obsess about any/all of that: Usually a well rounded way of eating with complete/bioavailable protein, healthy fat sources, and plenty of varied, colorful veggies/fruits will get us there. Saying we don't need to obsessively count all the nutrients (which I believe is true) is not the same as saying the nutrients aren't important (which I believe is false).

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,155 Member
    edited August 2023
    Well, eating less and moving more should do the trick at least that's what authorities have been campaigning for eons and the explanation for it's failure is that people have not adequately embraced that notion, which leaves the blame to the individual and that they can't control properly the amount of foods they consume or the possibility that exercise may actually increase hunger. This is that basic foundation of CICO to which counting calories is a popular solution.

Another paradigm that is on the table, not very popular mind you, is that overconsumption reflects an imbalance of our endocrine, metabolic and nervous systems signaling that control food intake below a conscience level. This model attributes rising obesity prevalence to inexpensive, convenient, energy dense, “ultra processed” foods high in fat, refined carbohydrates and sugar, which effects obesity and metabolic dysfunction on many levels and happens to any Country that embraces it. If your a healthy specimen, then get on with your life and forget about it but if the US populations is any indication of what a healthy specimen looks like then in my opinion looking past calories to which foods are consumed might help someone not only lose weight but be healthier is probably something most people would agree with. What we eat shouldn't be discounted where we're left with just counting calories. imo
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,776 Member
    I've only ever tracked calories and protein (in grams). The rest pretty much takes care of itself.
  • lkhausman123
    lkhausman123 Posts: 4 Member
    What percent of your total cals should be protein/carbs/fats? Ive seen various versions. I want to lose weight and build muscle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    What percent of your total cals should be protein/carbs/fats? Ive seen various versions. I want to lose weight and build muscle.

@lkhausman123 (and OP): Don't use percents. Figure out your minimum needs for protein and fats in grams, then use carbs (or extra of the other two macros) to balance calories to your goal. (For building muscle, I'd recommend not doing low carb, FWIW.)

This is an evidence-based source for estimating protein needs:

https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

Note that the guide mentions that if you're materially overweight, it can make sense to base estimates on your healthy goal weight - using a very-overweight current weight can make the protein goal unnecessarily high and hard to reach. (It's OK to estimate goal weight, the difference a few pounds makes won't be huge.)

For fats, something in the range of 0.35-0.45 grams per day per pound of weight should be OK, maybe lower in that range if male, maybe better higher if female.

You also need other nutrition: Micronutrients, phytochemicals, fiber, possibly probiotics. I'd recommend eating larger than average amounts of varied, colorful veggies and fruits, plus some probiotic foods (such as live-culture yogurt or kefir, raw miso, etc.)

Most important is a good progressive strength training program, faithfully performed.

Muscle mass gain is always very gradual, requiring patience. During weight loss, it will be even slower. If you don't have excess weight to the point of health risk now, losing very slowly would slightly improve those odds. (Talking maybe half a pound a week loss, or less.) Another option is to lose fat somewhat more aggressively (0.5% of current weight per week, say), strength train to preserve existing muscle mass, and expect more gain after you reach goal weight and can increase calories to maintenance or even slightly over.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

There isn't a universal answer to this question. Macros are pretty personal. The default macros on MFP are just fine for many, though I'd consider them to be absolute minimum for protein, particularly in a calorie deficit when you're in a catabolic state. What makes up those macros is more important when you're talking about good nutrition, health, etc. Like...there's a big difference between your carbs and fat coming from pizza and doughnuts and fish 'n chips vs. a nice grilled chicken pasta dish with tomatoes and spinach in an olive oil lemon sauce or a seared tuna steak with rice pilaf and a side salad (extreme example alert).

If you're wanting to lose weight and build muscle then a diet higher in protein with a good amount of quality carbohydrates and moderate to lowish (not low) fat would be what to look for...but the quality of your lifting program is going to trump all in regards to building muscle. You would also want to keep a very modest deficit...you're not going to build a bunch of muscle in a calorie deficit anyway, but large deficits will pretty much guarantee you will actually lose muscle. If you're new to lifting you can expect some noob gains, but these are relatively short lived...basically, building muscle happens in an anabolic state and when you're dieting and trying to cut fat you are in a catabolic state.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    I tweaked my macros a lot over a couple years, and settled on a very low carb diet. Because of this, I mainly focus on tracking carbs. As long as I stay under about 20 grams, I'm good.

The others may be a little high/little low for the day but by the end of the week it tends to average out.

My current macros are set for 5% carbs/ 25% protein/ 70% fat and calories are set to 1500 per day. If I stick to my macros I usually only eat around 1200 more or less on average because it's filling enough for me.

There's no perfect balance IMO; really depends on the individual, their needs, their preferences, etc. I say tweak them till you find your sweet spot.
  • jeanette38340
    jeanette38340 Posts: 16 Member
    I count macro as it seems to be the simpliest plan for me. I get confused easily its a learning process yet so far it seems to be going okay. I like that macro is individulized. one size fits all doesnt work for me