Choosing macros for a low fat diet

Options
GloriaBJN
GloriaBJN Posts: 78 Member
edited September 2023 in Food and Nutrition
I need to go on a low fat diet. Can someone tell me what the macro ratios are?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    There is no universal answer to that.

Why do you want to go on a low fat diet? Is it related to a health condition? If so, your doctor or a registered dietitian would be the best resource, since they would know your health history details.

Purely for weight loss, low fat diets and low carb diets produce about the same results in many research studies. In either case, compliance is a major factor in long-term success, so whichever is easier and more natural for you has higher odds of working well for you. Repeating: That's if the goal is about body weight management. If there are health issues, that's different, and details matter.

When I was told to stick to a low fat diet after gall bladder removal, I found that the MFP default macro percentages met the criteria my doctor gave me as the definition of "low fat". YMMV on that.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

When I was told to stick to a low fat diet after gall bladder removal, I found that the MFP default macro percentages met the criteria my doctor gave me as the definition of "low fat". YMMV on that.

This! My surgeon didn't even give me a recommendation as the average fat intake here is a lot lower on average than in the US. Never had any problem and am naturally eating close to the default settings; sometimes a wee bit less, sometimes a bit more.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    You don’t want to figure macros with percentages you’ll use gram amounts. Fat (good fat) should be around .3 to .5 gram per LB of weight. If highly overweight use you’re lean weight to figure all macros. Trans and saturated fats should be minimized or avoided.
  • GloriaBJN
    Options
    I'm required medically to be on a low fat diet. The program asks for macro percentages and I'm wondering what those are. What are the default macros?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    GloriaBJN wrote: »
    I'm required medically to be on a low fat diet. The program asks for macro percentages and I'm wondering what those are. What are the default macros?

Anything below 30% would be considered low fat. Ask your doctor how low they want you to go.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    GloriaBJN wrote: »
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Anything below 30% would be considered low fat. Ask your doctor how low they want you to go.

@GloriaBJN - to add to this, the MFP default macro for fat is 30%. You will also see grams for the custom calorie budget created when you complete the Set Goals process. Run this by the person who prescribed your low fat diet.
  • GloriaBJN
    Options
    Sorry I think something got lost in the communication. Can you provide carb and protein ratios for both 25% and 30% fat options?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    You can set your own protein and carb percentage however you want, after you set the fat percentage in the app to what you want. It makes you put in percentages that will add up to 100%. Have you looked at the app and tried to set it up at all? I would just leave the MFP settings as they are, since fat is already set at 30%.
  • GloriaBJN
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I've been on the app for over a year already. Just don't remember the presets. The need to go low fat is what's new for me.