Problem losing weight

Options
Hi i did intermittent fasting for 18h and consuming 1000 calories for a year and didn’t lose all the weight anyway and stopped and gained back and now im doing it again but fasting for more than a 20h and i just want to lose weight normally but im not losing!!! Why I did it for a year and didn’t lose and now too mabey the problem is what im eating ( not diet food )

Replies

• jessicavenegas76
    jessicavenegas76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently began fasting about 5 days ago, today is my 6th day, not eating between 7am til midnight or 1am, and been trying to stay within my 1600 calories a day during my "feeding" time but i have also been walking 5-10miles a day creating 500-1000 calories burned, my question is are we supposed to eat more since the app adds my burned calories putting me over 23000 calories allowed a day
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    To the OP: IF can help if you have problems with excessive snacking or eating without thinking about it, but it isn't a magic pill that will guarantee weight loss. Intermittent fasting works only if you restrict the number of calories you eat overall. It really doesn't matter if you have a 4 hour window or a 24 hour window. What matters is the total number of calories you eat each day. Restricting yourself excessively makes it difficult to get proper nutrition and makes it more likely that you will start binging.

If you aren't losing weight, it is usually because you are eating more calories than you think. Are you weighing and measuring every bite you take and everything you drink? Have you checked to make sure that the data entries you are using are accurate? Are you allowing yourself 'cheat days' when you don't track what you eat? Are you assuming that you are burning more calories while exercising than you actually are?

To JessicaV: yes, MFP is designed for you to eat back some or all of the calories you burn in exercise. If you don't, you will be underfueling, which makes it more difficult to stay on track and can undermine your efforts to move more. There are numerous threads that discuss that in detail.
  • kite16509
    kite16509 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Also, it’s important to know what breaks a fast. I’ve been intermittent fasting just for 10 days. I eat starting at 3 PM and I end at 10 PM. But I don’t even brush my teeth with toothpaste anymore. I use baking soda because it doesn’t break the fast. I don’t take cough drops. I only drink water.

I started intermittent fasting at 240 pounds 10 days ago and I am at 236 today. so I feel like it’s working.

When I eat, I try to stay away from added sugars. Basically the only thing I’m eating that has sugars in. It is fruit and I’m limiting that. No high fructose corn syrup. I threw away everything in my fridge that had high fructose corn syrup.

I agree that you also have to weigh and measure your food but I’m not concentrating too much on calories. I’m spending more time thinking about the quality of food than I’m eating and keeping my fast clean when I’m not eating.

I’ve been reading the book the obesity code by Jason Fung. About how obesity is caused by sugars, spiking the insulin, and then the insulin resistance that happens in our bodies. It’s been very enlightening.
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Doesn't actually matter what you're eating as much as how much you are eating. There are no special "diet" foods. You can eat 1000 calories per day of potato chips and Oreo cookies, you would still lose weight as long as you were in a calorie deficit. You'd be hungry and wouldn't get any nutrients out of those things, but you'd lose weight.

The idea that someone can't lose weight is false. There are some conditions or some meds that may make weight loss more difficult, but they're pretty uncommon and difficult doesn't mean impossible. 1000 calories per day is really low, too, it would literally be impossible not to lose some weight on that little bit of food.

First thing I would look into is if you're tracking correctly. Do you mark every single thing down? Do you use measuring spoons/cups and scales? What source are you using to look up your calories? You'd be amazed how you can think you're taking 1 tsp of mayo but it's like 4.
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is not enough. Your body is in starvation mode. You should see a nutritionist to help educate you in proper weight loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no way you ate 1000 calories for a year and didn't lose a lot of weight.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    tur20ky wrote: »
    Hi i did intermittent fasting for 18h and consuming 1000 calories for a year and didn’t lose all the weight anyway and stopped and gained back and now im doing it again but fasting for more than a 20h and i just want to lose weight normally but im not losing!!! Why I did it for a year and didn’t lose and now too mabey the problem is what im eating ( not diet food )
    Height, weight and age?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    R_Bedard wrote: »
    1000 calories is not enough. Your body is in starvation mode. You should see a nutritionist to help educate you in proper weight loss.
    starvation mode is a myth. No loss and the calories are maintenance calories and are a lot higher than 1,000 a day on average.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    R_Bedard wrote: »

If there was a "starvation mode" that worked like this, no one would ever starve to death. Very sadly, many people worldwide starve to death every day, and they aren't fat when that happens.

OP has a medical condition (ultra-small probability of one so severe) or has not calorie counted consistently/accurately (very common, because counting schedule is a surprisingly subtle skill).

• Rockymountainliving
    Options
    Agree with what everyone says. You are not eating 1000 calories. Also log right away and include oil, dressing, number of almonds or dates etc. My husband constantly says he "hasn't eaten anything" but I observe him "snacking" on "healthy" food for 500 calories and pouring 5 tablespoons of olive oil (500 calories) in his fried veggies. However, he is tall and moves constantly so the calories are needed and he doesn't log or need to. But if he logged, he'd say he ate 800 calories.😛
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    If you had been eating 1000 calories for a year you would know trust me
    I’ve eaten 1200 calories for 5 weeks and I am hungryyyyyyy…so hungry I crashed…
    I’m not afraid to admit it! Yes I gave up! And I am now realising that I need to lose my weight slowly…

Have you not dined out In a year? McDonald’s has more than 1000 calories per meal
    Fish and chips from the chip shop?
    A burger meal from a restaurant?

I went out with my friend the other day…1539 calories in a slice of cake!
    1500 calories in a burger meal in a restaurant…

I think you have underestimated your calories :) xx

Log and track everything you eat for a month… and then come back and tell us how much you have lost 😁😁 xx
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    kite16509 wrote: »
    Also, it’s important to know what breaks a fast. I’ve been intermittent fasting just for 10 days. I eat starting at 3 PM and I end at 10 PM. But I don’t even brush my teeth with toothpaste anymore. I use baking soda because it doesn’t break the fast. I don’t take cough drops. I only drink water.

I started intermittent fasting at 240 pounds 10 days ago and I am at 236 today. so I feel like it’s working.

When I eat, I try to stay away from added sugars. Basically the only thing I’m eating that has sugars in. It is fruit and I’m limiting that. No high fructose corn syrup. I threw away everything in my fridge that had high fructose corn syrup.

I agree that you also have to weigh and measure your food but I’m not concentrating too much on calories. I’m spending more time thinking about the quality of food than I’m eating and keeping my fast clean when I’m not eating.

I’ve been reading the book the obesity code by Jason Fung. About how obesity is caused by sugars, spiking the insulin, and then the insulin resistance that happens in our bodies. It’s been very enlightening.

The first bolded sentence: What were you doing, eating toothpaste? Why in the world would brushing your teeth break your fast? That's ridiculous.

To the second bolded: Jason Fung is a quack. Period.
    Agree. The misinformation by some of these authors who manipulate datas to create an issue then make up something to solve it just to make money is so rampant these days.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Confirmation Bias. Too bad I can't patent that. Google has created an entire economy/culture based on it.